xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tough Raid Question  (Read 70 times)

pug_ster

• Archived User
Tough Raid Question
« on: November 16, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »

Hardware raid is transparent to the operating system.  In your set hardware raid 0 in your computer, Windows' disk manager will only see one 500gb hard drive.  Whereas in software raid, you will see 2 250gb drives.

Definately go with hardware raid because the CPU gets bogged down with software raid.  Besides the performance issues, linux won't recognize your 2 software raid 0 partition.  After you purchase the raid controller, you will probably have to reinstall the OS.

pug_ster

• Archived User
Tough Raid Question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:45:00 AM »

I guess nvraid is software raid thus not supported by linux.  You can go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System tools -> files and settings transfer wizard to backup all your settings in windows.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
Tough Raid Question
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »

Danny

--DANNY--

• Archived User
Tough Raid Question
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Nov 17 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post
It seems anything as cheap as that card that I listed will only be a software raid solution, and thus will not work with linux.  The "real" raid cards are always more than $100 sad.gif
Well that really sucks...
So much for Linux on my computer... I could put it on another drive, but that would be pretty lame if I couldn't access most of my data...

I wonder if those cheap software RAID cards would outperform the nForce4 NVRaid setups...
So even if it won't provide as a solution to running linux on a raid setup, but it would increase performance in Windows...

-Danny

pug_ster

• Archived User
Tough Raid Question
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »

If your setup was raid 0/1, the difference between sub $100 and over $100 cards wouldn't make alot of difference.  Many of the costlier raid controllers have faster processors, memory and battery backup cache, thus optimized for raid 5/10 setups.  The sub $100 raid controllers are hardware raid 1/0 and should be good enough for you.