xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: My Computer Is All The Sudden Fucking Up  (Read 114 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
My Computer Is All The Sudden Fucking Up
« on: October 20, 2004, 05:04:00 AM »

ok, so ive had my custom pc for about 3 months now (asus k8v se, amd 64 3200, 1 gig crucial ram, 6800 gt, 2 raptor hdd's, etc) and its been working fine up till the last 2 weeks

i have everything overclocked (gt at 440 and 1.20 and cpu at 220mhz FSB)

and with those settings, i was on the threshold to system lock ups, but the machine ran fine, even for days straight

but lately every now and then the computer would freeze up, or id come back and itd be shut off (i have no virus')
so i underclocked everything (gt to 425 and 1.15, cpu to 210 FSB)

but after i ran 3dmark and aquamark, then did a defrag, the computer shut off on its own again, and now it wont turn back on

if i turn off the psu, then turn it on, everything will run for half a second, then die, but the LED on the asus mobo stays lit all the time

any theories??

something shorting out maybe?

hawkswim32

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »

wink.gif

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:15:00 AM »

Step one when something like this happens and you have been overclocking is to clear the CMOS. You will need to refer to your motherboard manual to figure out how to do this.

Do this and see what happens.

Just to give you a heads up. If you did not cool your chipset more than the stock heat sinks you might have a bad motherboard now.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 03:49:00 PM »

QUOTE (thepissedoffman @ Oct 20 2004, 01:18 PM)
Step one when something like this happens and you have been overclocking is to clear the CMOS. You will need to refer to your motherboard manual to figure out how to do this.

Do this and see what happens.

Just to give you a heads up. If you did not cool your chipset more than the stock heat sinks you might have a bad motherboard now.

well, to answer both your questions

the psu is a dual fan, titanium 550 watt one (its a name brand)

second, cooling isnt a factor, as im using a zalman cu7000 and 4 intake/outake fans (after playing UT2004, the cpu temp is only around 46 degrees)

im going to check the psu just in case

any other suggestions?

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 04:15:00 PM »

well i just went and fooled around with it more, and ive narrowed it down

if i detatch the atx connector from the mobo, and manually turn the psu on (via a paperclip and jumping the green wire) it runs fine and doesnt short out

but, if the connector is connect to the mobo, and i try to turn it on, thats when it shorts

so, ive narrowed it down to the mobo

what should i look for, visible signs of damage (never smelt burning or saw smoke, the mobo temp never topped 39 degrees)
any suggestions on what to look for?

****just tried the CMOS (clearing the RTC) and it didnt work******

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 02:40:00 AM »

unsure.gif

i dont know about claiming warranty because i cant find any papers, all i have is the mobo and the manual (plus cd)

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Oct 21 2004, 12:18 AM)
well i just went and fooled around with it more, and ive narrowed it down

if i detatch the atx connector from the mobo, and manually turn the psu on (via a paperclip and jumping the green wire) it runs fine and doesnt short out

but, if the connector is connect to the mobo, and i try to turn it on, thats when it shorts

so, ive narrowed it down to the mobo

what should i look for, visible signs of damage (never smelt burning or saw smoke, the mobo temp never topped 39 degrees)
any suggestions on what to look for?

****just tried the CMOS (clearing the RTC) and it didnt work******

Well there are only 4 ATX connections that deal specifically with power on ATX motherboards. They are the ATX/NLX (large one), the P4 connector (small four pin one), the on/off and reset connectors that goes to the switches on the case.

If you're saying that the problem goes away when you disconnect the case switch then that is a cheap solution. Just go to a site like http://www.digikey.com/ and buy a replacement and you will be ready to go.

If you are saying that you have disconnected the ATX/NLX and the P4 connectors and turn the PSU on without the motherboard you need to get a new PSU and make sure it is working correctly. Just because you can turn it on without the MB does not mean it is not bad.

P.S. If you are going to continue to run your system over clocked all the time you really should get some good cooling for your Northbridge chipset. Right now all you have is a little passive chunk of blue metal.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »

so i should try a new psu first???

the psu still sounds like the main problem, because the amount of time the power is on makes it seem like a "breaker" almost is being thrown, which is (in my experience) always cuased by a psu

and yes, i was saying that when you disconnect the p4 and atx main connector, the psu works fine

and when i do get this running again, im staying at stock speeds

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »

well, the psu isnt the problem

so now what should i try/look for/ do?

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 09:25:00 PM »

Well from what you have posted you do not know for a fact what the problem is other than it is either the motehrboard or the PSU.

The PSU could work just fine without a load on it ( I.E. the the motherboard ) but when you try to draw any current from it it fails.

You could assume that it is the motherboard and RMA it but it would sure suck if you do all that and it turns out to be the PSU after all.

I would get a PSU from some where and make sure it is the motherboard. If that turned out to be true I would RMA the motherboad if I could. If it is the motherboard you can no long trust it and you must get a new one.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

ill check into an rma, hopefully ill be able to do it (dont have any papers or anything)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2004, 07:49:00 AM »

well, you were right, it is the PSU

i took an old psu out of my P4 (3 yrs old) and tried it, and now it works, i then tried the PSU from my computer (the one that wasnt working), and it does the same thing on any computer i use it on

but, the only thing im noticing is that when i was trying the other psu (the working one), whenever the computer turned on, there was a really loud noise (not like a whining fan or fucked up hdd, but just a high pitched, never ending beaping noise)

any idea whats cuasing that??? (my suspicion is leaning towards my CC invertor, as i only tried the psu while it was hooked up to my hdd and invertor, just to test if the mobo would stay on)

thanks

thepissedoffman

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

No clue what that sound could be since I have never heard something like that before.

I am glad you found the exact problem since that will save you time and money.

If you are going to be getting a PSU soon you should try these guys out:
http://www.pcpowercooling.com

The website might not look like the best but they sell PSUs that have true wattage ratings unlike 99% of the other PSU makers. And they are very reliable. It is the place where I get all of my PSUs for work and home.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2004, 09:38:00 AM »

thanks, that should help

ill try to figure out the noise, but right now it isnt a concern, as i dont have everything hooked up to even narrow it down