xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My Computer Specs Update And A Post On The  (Read 274 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
My Computer Specs Update And A Post On The
« on: August 23, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »

ok, to start it off, heres my computer (official specs now)

Asus K8V SE Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3200
eVGA Geforce 6800 GT
(2) sticks of 512mb Crucial PC3200 DDR RAM (400mhz)
(2) WD Raptors (36 gig) in RAID 0 array
Creative Labs Audigy LS
DVD/CD-rom (16x and 40x)
DVD-RW+-/CD-RW burner (8x,4x,40x)
Windows XP Professional with SP1a
Zalman 7000 CU heatsink
Xoxide X-Dreamer II black case
Dell Trinitron 17" pure flat CRT monitor
Custom Paradigm front speakers (each front speaker has a tweeter, and two mid's) with a 12" JVC wall powered sub connected to a Yamaha Amp
Lots and Lots of Bawls scattered over everything

and for the software/OC specs

my processor is overclocked to a steady 2.2ghz by way of bumping the FSB to 220 (its the highest stable setting i can go)
The 6800 GT is at core freq of 440 mhz, and a memory freq of 1.2 ghz
my hdd's are running at a good steady 91mb/s (i have them on the slower via controller, which was my mistake)

thats about everything, so far ive been playing BF:1942 and have had no lag (on my old P4 1.8ghz i couldnt play most the pacific levels due to enormous lag)

ok, on to photoshop

basically, i dont plan on doing alot of complicated shit, but if i want to make a custom background of various individual pics, what would be the easiest way, and is there a good tut to follow?

also, when i make custom screensavers, it overides the automatic shutdown of the monitor (monitor should shut off after 1 hour, but with custom screensavers, it doesnt) is there any way around this? (im using the windows fun pack thing)???

thanks
beerchug.gif

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 02:04:00 PM »

What is your GPU temperature? I am whiling to bet it is getting higher than 85C when you play Doom 3.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »

i dont have doom 3 yet

but after using 3dmark, aquamark and benchmarking it it idles around 63-64

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:39:00 PM »

OK THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

i have enough money to get any (2) games off of ebay.
it can be any game (including new ones like doom III), which ones should i get?

i already have farcry, BF:1942, Halo, AVP (the original) Call of Duty

i was thinking along the lines of Doom 3, Unreal Tournement 2004 and/or BF:1942 Vietnam

what do you all think?

******by the way, im mostly an action gamer, im not into RPG's, or strategy (ie, command and conquer) games of that sort.......

Dagoth

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:00 AM »

for Photoshop tutuorials try these sites..

http://www.teamphotoshop.com/index.php

http://www.bluesfear.com/tutorials.php

to combine all the components it will just be a case of layers and blending (pretty straightforward stuff)..

2 games...

Doom 3 & UT2004

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

do you have rear speakers?
if so you might want to scratch UT2004, and invest in a pack of adult daipers and some medical marijuana to calm you down after playing D3

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2004, 03:14:00 AM »

as a side point- whats your CPU temp?
i got the antec sonata case with the EPoX 8KDA3+ mobo and a AMD64 3400 with the stock cooler, and i'm only 5'C above ambient wink.gif

dietrite

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2004, 04:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 23 2004, 07:42 PM)
OK THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION

i have enough money to get any (2) games off of ebay.
it can be any game (including new ones like doom III), which ones should i get?

i already have farcry, BF:1942, Halo, AVP (the original) Call of Duty

i was thinking along the lines of Doom 3, Unreal Tournement 2004 and/or BF:1942 Vietnam

what do you all think?

******by the way, im mostly an action gamer, im not into RPG's, or strategy (ie, command and conquer) games of that sort.......

raptor.. if u want a fun game that you can play online go grab a copy of battlefield vietnam. your computer shouldn't have any problem running it at maximum settings.

imagine--> running through a lush green forest, ak-47 in hand, the night sky above, stars and the moon vibrant in it, and the sound of bombs and gunshots all around in 5.1 dolby digital surround sound.

i've been playing for 3-4 months now and still haven't gotten bored of it yet (high replay value)

other than that, i can't really reccommend doom 3, although my computer wussed out running the game at high setting, so that may have contributed to my poor perspective regarding its entertainment factor (i was playing it at a low resolution and stuff)

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 05:56:00 AM »

dude, with the combination of your AMD64 3200 and your 6800GT, you'd probably be able to play D3 on high, with some of the ultra bits turned on too

with my rig (and i only have a 6800 standard) i'm on medium with some bits tweaked up a little, and it looks sexual huh.gif

the graphics on battlefield vietnam dont even compare laugh.gif

imagine, torch in hand you tiptoe through a creaky ventillation shaft, straining your ears to hear anything out of the ordinary, you press the weapon reload key every 10secs just to make sure you're ready. as you move through the duct, you begin to hear the thwump thwump twump of the ventillation fan, !!!crunch!!! SHIT!!! what the fuck was that?!!!! your breathing quickens, you begin to hear your heartbeat. in the distance you see some armour shards- SWEEET!! a quick sprint gets you on top of them, but FUKKKKKKKKK something shrieks and attacks you!!! where the fuck is it!!!???? your torch lands on something with three arms and two heads, in a panic you forget to change weapon and start beating the demonic creature over the head with your maglight. you think SHIT, switch weapon and you're left in darkness with the hellbeast still attacking you, a quick random blast with your shotgun finishes it off, then you hit F5 then escape and go and quiver in the corner for an hour

its great fun laugh.gif

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 06:50:00 AM »

I have a Athlon 64 3400+ and a 6800 GT ( OC to 417/1.1 ) and I can play Doom3 at Ultra with AAx4 AFx4 with no slow down. It is freakin cool.

But after playing Doom 3 twice I can now say that game play wise it is lacking. I know what your going to say " ITS A REMAKE OF DOOM " yea yea what ever. I understand that but the fact still remains that if you compare this to a game like Far Cry it sucks ( REMEMBER I AM TALKING ONLY ABOUT GAME PLAY ).

When you are talking about graphics and sound, there is no game out period that touches Doom 3.

I buy almost everything since I have the cash to do so, but if I could only get 2 games Doom 3 would not be one. Compared to games like Call of Duty and UT2004 you are getting ripped off. Doom 3 sure might have mods coming but UT 2004 is = 1000+ hours of gaming right now and the same for Call of Duty, no waiting for the mods to come out with these games.

My suggestion is to get UT2004 ( your not a FPS gamer if you don't own it ) and one of the real life war type games ( i.e. BF1942, BF Vietnam, Call of Duty ). Then just wait for Doom 3 to get around $20-$30 and then pick that up.

Dagoth

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 07:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (therebelious1 @ Aug 24 2004, 01:59 PM)
dude, with the combination of your AMD64 3200 and your 6800GT, you'd probably be able to play D3 on high, with some of the ultra bits turned on too

with my rig (and i only have a 6800 standard) i'm on medium with some bits tweaked up a little, and it looks sexual huh.gif

the graphics on battlefield vietnam dont even compare laugh.gif

imagine, torch in hand you tiptoe through a creaky ventillation shaft, straining your ears to hear anything out of the ordinary, you press the weapon reload key every 10secs just to make sure you're ready. as you move through the duct, you begin to hear the thwump thwump twump of the ventillation fan, !!!crunch!!! SHIT!!! what the fuck was that?!!!! your breathing quickens, you begin to hear your heartbeat. in the distance you see some armour shards- SWEEET!! a quick sprint gets you on top of them, but FUKKKKKKKKK something shrieks and attacks you!!! where the fuck is it!!!???? your torch lands on something with three arms and two heads, in a panic you forget to change weapon and start beating the demonic creature over the head with your maglight. you think SHIT, switch weapon and you're left in darkness with the hellbeast still attacking you, a quick random blast with your shotgun finishes it off, then you hit F5 then escape and go and quiver in the corner for an hour

its great fun laugh.gif

or D/L the flashlight gun mod, because switching between flashlight & weapons, becomes really repetitive after 10 minutes. tongue.gif

there should be an option to do this in the game - I find it hard to belive that there isn't a roll of ductape somewhere in the facility  biggrin.gif

prefer the gameplay of Farcry though - more variation in gamplay, rather than just shooting anything that moves  (If you get bored, you can try shooting the wildlife with the sniper rifle  jester.gif )

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 07:16:00 AM »

well, im definatly getting UT2004

but for some reason Doom III is still in my head

i mean, im a fan for senseless violence and no plot or gameplay, and i also dont really see the point in getting Battlefield Vietnam when i have the original battlefield with mods for it

anything else besides UT2004, Battlefield vietnam or doom III?

i might get avp2 at a later date, but not right now (i wanna catch up on old times and play the original avp)

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »

there is always "the option of which we do not speak of" ph34r.gif

and of course by that i mean not playing games; use your computer to fold proteins

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2004, 07:48:00 AM »

ok, so after buying UT2004 i have $21 bucks left

i can find some cheap copies of Doom 3 (some poeple sell em for under 20 bucks)

is doom3 a good game in its own, like even if its pointless shooting, will it remind me of the old days of duke nukem and doom for N64??

or are there any other games i should get, perhaps 2 older, less expensive games, or something like that?

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 08:10:00 AM »

i personally love being scared, so i really like it

it is pretty much reminiscent of the original doom in that say you collect some armour and a chamber opens behind you with something inside to kill you

i'd say its worth it just for the eye-candy
Pages: [1] 2