xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well My Computer Finally Works/ Runs!  (Read 198 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Well My Computer Finally Works/ Runs!
« on: August 14, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »

Ok, here it is

AMD Athlon 64 3200 (to my surprise, its a clawhammer core)
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
Nvidia Geforce 6800 128mb (ill be getting a GT very soon, money constrictions)
(2) Westerm Digital SATA Raptors (10,000 rpm) in a RAID 0 array, with Windows XP Professional
Creative Labs Audigy LS (i had it laying around so i figured id use it)
(2) sticks of PC3200 512mb DDR Elixor RAM (with copper heat spreaders)
Lite-on 16x DVD-ROM/ 40x CD-ROM
Lite-on 8x DVD-RW/+-/ 40x CD-RW drive
Zalman 7000 CU heatsink
PCtoys fan controller and lots of fans and lights
Xoxide X-Dreamer II case (with LCD temp monitor)
3.5" floppy drive (wooohooo, the most needed component)

Thats bout it, unless i have brain damage right now and forgot a component

Anyone have any software/overclocking/other utilities suggestions?
(im using firefox and reccomended virus software already (no, its not Norton Anti-Virus))

nfs911

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

you heard of softfsb? I really made my processor faster by using that program, but you dont want to overclock it that much, casue it can ruin your processor.

Another on is called CPUFSB, you can adjust your fsb with that program, use the multiplier, and times that by your current processor speed to give you your new processor speed. Also look at your bios and motherboard, sometimes a jumper is need to be changed to overclock. Look around in the bios and see what you can find.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (xbox_freak!! @ Aug 14 2004, 11:49 AM)
u try doom 3 on ur pc yet?

nah, dont have the money, need to recover finacially

but i do have halo, call of duty and battlefield:1942 up and running

and NFS, you cant really do much with the FSB on 64's, as they use hyper transport, so the speed issue rests with the memory, and memory isnt all that easy to make faster

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 14 2004, 11:46 PM)
nah, dont have the money, need to recover finacially

but i do have halo, call of duty and battlefield:1942 up and running

and NFS, you cant really do much with the FSB on 64's, as they use hyper transport, so the speed issue rests with the memory, and memory isnt all that easy to make faster.

The real big issue that plagued the 64 at first was the fact that none of the MBs had a working PCI/AGP lock. If you have one of those then you should be able to OC your rig as long as you have the proper cooling and the quality of your components are high.

HT does not make the memopry run faster than say a P4 system, PC3200 is PC3200. The 64 just has the memory controller right on the CPU so is just a more effecent method than the current motherboard based memory controlers for the P4 and everthing else for that mater.

I have never heard of the brand Elixor so I don't know the quality of thier product but if your MB has a wroking PCI/AGP lock and you got a good CPU ( some OC better than others ) you should have no problem OCing your rig.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (mcmikemc @ Aug 14 2004, 06:30 PM)
The real big issue that plagued the 64 at first was the fact that none of the MBs had a working PCI/AGP lock. If you have one of those then you should be able to OC your rig as long as you have the proper cooling and the quality of your components are high.

HT does not make the memopry run faster than say a P4 system, PC3200 is PC3200. The 64 just has the memory controller right on the CPU so is just a more effecent method than the current motherboard based memory controlers for the P4 and everthing else for that mater.

I have never heard of the brand Elixor so I don't know the quality of thier product but if your MB has a wroking PCI/AGP lock and you got a good CPU ( some OC better than others ) you should have no problem OCing your rig.

pci/agp lock?

how would i go about looking for such a thing in the bios or by other means?

well, ive upgraded my elixor to kingston, so i should get a little better preformance (different CAS latency's)

ive tried OC it, but it wont let me take the frequency past 2.0GHZ, (even if i up the voltage)

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 15 2004, 02:30 AM)
pci/agp lock?

how would i go about looking for such a thing in the bios or by other means?

well, ive upgraded my elixor to kingston, so i should get a little better preformance (different CAS latency's)

ive tried OC it, but it wont let me take the frequency past 2.0GHZ, (even if i up the voltage)

PCI/AGP lock is a setting in the BIOS that keeps the PCI/AGP frequincy the same no matter what you change the FSB to.

The two ways of overclocking a CPU are buy changing the multiplier or increasing the FSB. The Athlon 64s have locked multipliers so the only option you have for overclocking is increasing the FSB. The Athlon 64 FX CPUs have unlocked multipliers so you don't need to change the FSB to OC the CPU.

Without a PCI/AGP lock the bus speeds of the AGP and PCI slots increase as the FSB does. This is a very bad thing when you overclock because your rig can get very unstable since your AGP and PCI devices don't like it when you mess with thier bus speed.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »

ok, but, if i bump up the FSB, how will that bump the overall frequency up?

i want to go from 2.0GHZ, to 2.3 or 2.4GHZ (the maximum safe Asus PC probe said i could run at)

increaing the FSB wouldnt turn out those kidns of results, and other people have overclocked 64's without upping the FSB before

(damn the lucky ones)

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2004, 07:28:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 15 2004, 03:37 AM)
ok, but, if i bump up the FSB, how will that bump the overall frequency up?

i want to go from 2.0GHZ, to 2.3 or 2.4GHZ (the maximum safe Asus PC probe said i could run at)

increaing the FSB wouldnt turn out those kidns of results, and other people have overclocked 64's without upping the FSB before

(damn the lucky ones)

Like I said man, there are only two ways to over clock a CPU ( if somebody says otherwise they are idiots ). One is to bump up the FSB and the other is to change the multiplier.

Right now your multiplier is at 10 ( 10 x 200Mhz = 2.0ghz ). Using the multiplier method for an OC of 2.3 you would need to be able to change the multiplier to 11.5 ( 11.5 x 200Mhz = 2.3ghz ), and for 2.4 you would need 12 ( 12 x 200Mhz = 2.4ghz ). Using the FSB method you would need to have a FSB of 230mhz( 10 x 230Mhz = 2.3ghz ), and to get 2.4 you would need a FSB of 240mhz( 10 x 240Mhz = 2.4ghz ).

That being said, almost every Athlon 64 chip has locked multipliers so this is not an option. I am sure there have been people that got very VERY lucky and got a chip that was unlocked. But those people account for only 1% of the people that have bought them.

The multiplier method is a nice option because it only affects the CPU. Using the FSB method cause the speed of your memory bus ( and if you have no PCI/AGP lock those too ) to change. So if you bumped your FSB to 240mhz then your memory would be running at that speed too ( 240mhz x 2 = 480mhz ). That is why you would need PC4000 ( DDR 500 ) RAM to achieve those speeds. A 512mb stick of PC4000 goes for $140. You might have gotten very lucky and your RAM can achieve those speeds but that is highly doubtful.

And like I said, the Athlon 64 FX chips are not locked at all. They are pretty much designed to allow people to OC them.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2004, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (mcmikemc @ Aug 15 2004, 09:31 AM)
Like I said man, there are only two ways to over clock a CPU ( if somebody says otherwise they are idiots ). One is to bump up the FSB and the other is to change the multiplier.

Right now your multiplier is at 10 ( 10 x 200Mhz = 2.0ghz ). Using the multiplier method for an OC of 2.3 you would need to be able to change the multiplier to 11.5 ( 11.5 x 200Mhz = 2.3ghz ), and for 2.4 you would need 12 ( 12 x 200Mhz = 2.4ghz ). Using the FSB method you would need to have a FSB of 230mhz( 10 x 230Mhz = 2.3ghz ), and to get 2.4 you would need a FSB of 240mhz( 10 x 240Mhz = 2.4ghz ).

That being said, almost every Athlon 64 chip has locked multipliers so this is not an option. I am sure there have been people that got very VERY lucky and got a chip that was unlocked. But those people account for only 1% of the people that have bought them.

The multiplier method is a nice option because it only affects the CPU. Using the FSB method cause the speed of your memory bus ( and if you have no PCI/AGP lock those too ) to change. So if you bumped your FSB to 240mhz then your memory would be running at that speed too ( 240mhz x 2 = 480mhz ). That is why you would need PC4000 ( DDR 500 ) RAM to achieve those speeds. A 512mb stick of PC4000 goes for $140. You might have gotten very lucky and your RAM can achieve those speeds but that is highly doubtful.

And like I said, the Athlon 64 FX chips are not locked at all. They are pretty much designed to allow people to OC them.

yea, i figure when i get my new crucial memory (more friendly to overclocking) ill try the FSB

if i want to up the speed of the memory (to account for the increased FSB speed) how would i do that?

just up the voltage a little?

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2004, 11:20:00 AM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 15 2004, 07:00 PM)
yea, i figure when i get my new crucial memory (more friendly to overclocking) ill try the FSB

if i want to up the speed of the memory (to account for the increased FSB speed) how would i do that?

just up the voltage a little?

Can't say what you will have to do since OC is different for different parts. OC is nothing more than trial and error. If you up the FSB and you get crashes try something and see if it solves your problems.

A small knowledge of how electronics work is a good thing to have when you OC. It will help you better understand what could be causing you problems.

If your going to OC you should download some RAM testing programs and some other diagnostic programs to make sure your not getting errors even though your system may seem stable.

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

Your own PC specs shouldn't suprise you...

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2004, 01:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (mcmikemc @ Aug 15 2004, 01:23 PM)
Can't say what you will have to do since OC is different for different parts. OC is nothing more than trial and error. If you up the FSB and you get crashes try something and see if it solves your problems.

A small knowledge of how electronics work is a good thing to have when you OC. It will help you better understand what could be causing you problems.

If your going to OC you should download some RAM testing programs and some other diagnostic programs to make sure your not getting errors even though your system may seem stable.

yea, well as of right now im up to 2.21 and all i did was up the ddr voltage to 2.7, and the fsb to 220

do you reccomend any good memory testing programs and cpu testing programs (to look for flaws or unstable settings in either)?

also, i think my pci and agp frequencies are automatically locked, but if i go to high and they arent, what will happen?

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »

well i tried going to a FSB of 225, but for some reason it said no hdd was detected and it wouldnt boot windows, so i had to scale it back down again

any ideas on why bumping the fsb by 5 more would cuase my sata hdd to not be detected?

right now i have the ddr voltage on 2.7 and the vcore is on auto (its hovering around 1.694)

by bumping any of those up, would that help to get a higher OC rate, or can i not go any higher because of the hdd thing?

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Aug 15 2004, 04:24 PM)
well i tried going to a FSB of 225, but for some reason it said no hdd was detected and it wouldnt boot windows, so i had to scale it back down again

any ideas on why bumping the fsb by 5 more would cuase my sata hdd to not be detected?

right now i have the ddr voltage on 2.7 and the vcore is on auto (its hovering around 1.694)

by bumping any of those up, would that help to get a higher OC rate, or can i not go any higher because of the hdd thing?

bump.........

mcmikemc

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2004, 05:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (nemt @ Aug 15 2004, 07:55 PM)
Your own PC specs shouldn't suprise you...

WTF are you talking about?
Pages: [1] 2