xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ati Vs. Nvidia  (Read 180 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« on: July 13, 2004, 06:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (okandroid @ Jul 13 2004, 09:25 PM)
Alright to prepare for the release of Doom 3 I've decided to opt for a new video card. But the problem is ATI or Nvidia. Ive been looking at the Radeon 9800 Pro and the Geforce FX5900. I can't decide. I have no clue which is better, and most of all I have about 200 bucks to spend, maybe a little more. I want to be able to play doom 3/half life 2 and I have

AMD XP 2000+
512 MB DDR2700 RAM
Geforce 4ti4200 64mb.
ECS K7S5A Pro Motherboard.

id go with the ATI 9800 pro (128mb, 256 bit interface), as its what i got and its a very solid, very reliable card

RiotMasterMeth

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 07:16:00 PM »

Mwave Look there for a Radeon, I got my Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb there for only $200, also another factor of gaming that you might not thought of with these new up coming games is ram. I have 1 gig of DDR Pc2700 and before I had only 512 but after I put in the other stick I could tell a major difference in my gaming. Good Luck

AnThRaX

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »

Make sure that the ATI is 256 bit. Anyways the 9800 can be overclocked to be like a XT if not better. And the 5900 can be hacked to work like a 5950 so pick either way. I think personally there about almost even.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (okandroid @ Jul 14 2004, 07:51 AM)
Well, here's another question I was pondering. Do two sticks of ram in a computer need to be the same brand? Because I have crucial ram in there right now but Ive seen some ram much cheaper than that.

And what's the best card out there? I can get an official ATI card for 200 by trading in my old video card, but are the other cards better?

RAM should be the exact same type, maker and speed

the best card for 200 is ATI RADEON 9800 pro 128mb

i suggest you do a search on ebay, as i got mine for 175 from a dealer, and it works fine

quall

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 06:06:00 AM »

no, other venders that create gfx cards using the same chipset should work just as well.

okandroid

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2004, 06:10:00 AM »

huh? Im looking for ram for my computer.

also is the hercules 9800 pro a good video card? because i found one on ebay for like 150 but without disc and cabels, but i can download those.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2004, 06:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (okandroid @ Jul 14 2004, 09:10 AM)
huh? Im looking for ram for my computer.

also is the hercules 9800 pro a good video card? because i found one on ebay for like 150 but without disc and cabels, but i can download those.

yes, any maker of the 9800 pro is a good maker

and hercules  boards are guranteed to be 256 bit interface (saphire recently made 9800 pros on 128 bit interface cards on accident)

so yes, its a good deal and card

Dark_Link2135

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (okandroid @ Jul 14 2004, 03:25 AM)
Alright to prepare for the release of Doom 3 I've decided to opt for a new video card. But the problem is ATI or Nvidia. Ive been looking at the Radeon 9800 Pro and the Geforce FX5900. I can't decide. I have no clue which is better, and most of all I have about 200 bucks to spend, maybe a little more. I want to be able to play doom 3/half life 2 and I have

AMD XP 2000+
512 MB DDR2700 RAM
Geforce 4ti4200 64mb.
ECS K7S5A Pro Motherboard.

first of all, let me admit i do have a partial bias towards ATI.  but as a proud Radeaon 9800 pro owner, ill do my best to help

i got the Sapphire Atlantis ATI Radeaon 9800 Pro w/ 256 MB DDR memory.

this can be flashed to run as a 9800XT.

also, make sure you have enough psu juice to power the nvidia....it uses a lot more power then the ATI, and will take up two slots, a pci slot which it will cover, and obviously the AGP slot.

the ATI takes up one slot, and beats out the nvidia card in *most* gaming benchmarkers.  i think the nvidia however does have a slightly better pixel shader 2.0 support, im not sure.  probably, since nvidia's forte is their pixel shaders.

the ATI cards tend to come with more freebie's too.   ATI is also, from my experience, more accepted among gamers/geeks alike.   nvidia will just get a nod of the head, and ATI gets an "awesome"  well, thats an exaggeration, but you see what i mean.  plus the card is red which is a contrast to nvidia, who keeps the green color you see on every other pc component.  so if you have a window, you may want to choose the ATI for apperance purposes.

did nvidia switch to coloring their cards blue?  im not sure, but im pretty sure the FX5900 is green.   anywho, its not like that really matters.  both have DX9 support, so you get the fancy lighing effects.

you may want to step up the processor and ram a bit if you want to play H2 and D3 tho.  what you have will barely cut it.

and let be suggest a gigabyte mobo with the nForce2 chipset if you are going with a 32-bit processor.  gigabyte usually has very good products, and the nForce chipsets tend to be very stable, especially when overclocking.

for the ram, you may want a high-quality company like corsair, or if you dont have the $$$$$  get kingston.  a lot cheaper, but still very good quality.

"RAM should be the exact same type, maker and speed"

it all depends on the motherboard chipset, and a few other factors.  there is no doubt it will work better, if it is all the same type, maker and speed, and will run far more stable.

if you want to take a wild chance, try different ones, sometimes it will work.  on dual channel though, everything had better be the same speed.   maker shouldn't matter terrible on dual channel, but like i said, depends on the chipset you are using.

most often, like 67thRaptorBull said, its a lot better to stay with the same type, maker, and speed.

also something to consider, if you do a lot of video editing/mapmaking/modmaking, etc., where you load a lot of info from the HDD, you may want two chips, and running in dual channel if possible.

also shop newegg.  that shipping rate is horrible.  newegg has free to extremely cheap shipping and is very realiable.  all my stuff from there has always come at least a day early then expected.  its fedex express saver, and nothing has come damaged, and its fast, normally about 3 days.

and apart from free shipping, if you dont live in CA, TN, or NJ, there is no tax.

and always lower prices then anywhere else i have shopped.

hope this helps.

okandroid

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »

It does, but as of right now I just don't have the cash to upgrade everything so I though the video card would be the first step as it's the oldest, then ram then cpu.

okandroid

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »

Alright Ive decided between the sapphire and the msi, which is better? http://www.newegg.co...-127-127&depa=1 (MSI)

http://www.newegg.co...-102-268&depa=1 (Sapphire)

Thanks.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

Saphire, its a big, good name, and they make a good % of ATI's cards

okandroid

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »

Well there aint no turning back now, I've just bought a Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb. This one. http://www.newegg.co...-102-268&depa=0

Just in time for Doom 3's gold release announcement. Now are there any tips that you guys have for me being a new ATI customer?

Dagoth

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

cool.gif

your card should come with Redline which should allow you to play around with the clock settings, so you can overclock it if you wish. remember a 30% increase is about the safe maximum for a card overclock, just remember your default settings & increment your speed increases in small steps checking for any artifacts (corruption) on screen.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (Dagoth @ Jul 15 2004, 12:56 PM)
here's a tip - D/L the Gargoyle screensaver from ATI's website  cool.gif

your card should come with Redline which should allow you to play around with the clock settings, so you can overclock it if you wish. remember a 30% increase is about the safe maximum for a card overclock, just remember your default settings & increment your speed increases in small steps checking for any artifacts (corruption) on screen.

dagoth, as a 9800 pro owner myself, i bought mine OEM, so i didnt get a install disc

but, is there a utility i can download that will tell me the temp of my 9800 pro?

Dagoth

• Archived User
Ati Vs. Nvidia
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 04:53:00 AM »

only the 9800XT's come with a built-in temp probe to monitor temperature
Pages: [1] 2