xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Backing Up Movie Dvds  (Read 96 times)

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« on: July 05, 2004, 04:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mu5t4rD @ Jul 5 2004, 06:25 PM)
i tried it on my spider and hackers dvd at first just to see how it would work..
i used nero6 trial with hackers and recordnow max 5 or 6 trial with spiderman..
both gave me copyright error...

a friend of a friend "says" the program he usues he's never had any problems with it..\dont see him often enogh to ask and my friend didnt know what it was called

can anyone recommend a program?

thanks, mustard

go to www.dvdrhelp.com and get DVD Shrink 3.1, itll shrink any movie into an appropriate 4.35 gig video.ts file, which you can then burn onto a dvd

Raver758

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »

or for quality you can go all the way and cce your movies. Doom9.org has a guide..

Comcipher

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 06:43:00 PM »

www.dvdshrink.org :  Home of dvd shrink, the ultimate dvd movie backup utility.  The latest versions will set everything automatically if you want it to and even burn the disc for you eliminating the need to use another burning program to write the ripped files.  I use this program all the time.  A+++ quality.

Comcipher

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

DVDshrink backs it up exactly like it is on the retail disc.  Keeps everything the way it is, and even lets you 're-author' the dvd if you want to.

Raver758

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »

dvd shrink sucks the quality of the dvd's are horrible. If you take your time around 7 hours cce a dvd overnight you get better quality and edit the extras you dont need to give more quality towards your movie. Like take out trailers and stuff like that..

lebriznon

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 07:00:00 PM »

http://www.videohelp.com

formerly dvdrhelp.com and vcdhelp.com

simplest thing to use is dvd shrink 2.3. thats right, version 2.3. Will work with almost everything, burn result with nero.  Most reliable way is to use DVD decrypter to rip the dvd completely, then use the latest dvd shrink to compress it (version 3.1 now i believe).  Then burn the result with nero (Dvdshrink can burn too, as long as nero is installed).  dvdshrink 3.1 often has copyright protection errors, and generally does not work nearly as well as dvd decryptor or dvdshrink 2.3.

see the site for full tutorials.

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (Raver758 @ Jul 5 2004, 09:53 PM)
dvd shrink sucks the quality of the dvd's are horrible. If you take your time around 7 hours cce a dvd overnight you get better quality and edit the extras you dont need to give more quality towards your movie. Like take out trailers and stuff like that..

no dvd shrink is perfectly fine quality, and very easy to use, your computer must just suck at extracting movies from a dvd

67thRaptorBull

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 07:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (lebriznon @ Jul 5 2004, 10:00 PM)
http://www.videohelp.com

formerly dvdrhelp.com and vcdhelp.com

simplest thing to use is dvd shrink 2.3. thats right, version 2.3. Will work with almost everything, burn result with nero.  Most reliable way is to use DVD decrypter to rip the dvd completely, then use the latest dvd shrink to compress it (version 3.1 now i believe).  Then burn the result with nero (Dvdshrink can burn too, as long as nero is installed).  dvdshrink 3.1 often has copyright protection errors, and generally does not work nearly as well as dvd decryptor or dvdshrink 2.3.

see the site for full tutorials.

ive never had a problem with 3.1 on copy protection yet

Raver758

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Jul 6 2004, 04:07 AM)
no dvd shrink is perfectly fine quality, and very easy to use, your computer must just suck at extracting movies from a dvd

why would my computer suck at extracting movies? I never said anything about that. I just perfer doing all my dvd's cce method and having better quality on the video and delete the extras that are not needed.

lebriznon

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

QUOTE (67thRaptorBull @ Jul 5 2004, 08:08 PM)
ive never had a problem with 3.1 on copy protection yet

well i've had the problem 3 in my last 15 dvd's using dvdshrink 3.1. i did a bit of googling and seems to be a fairly frequent problem for a lot of people.  either way, the dvd decrypter method is best; has never failed me, ever, in the many backups iv'e done.

Comcipher

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

The only way you really notice a loss in video quality is if you were to watch all of your movies on a huge hi-def TV, and even in that case it's hardly any loss if done right.  I've never had any problems with copy protection, and i'm using the latest version.  I would rather have a really good looking complete dvd ripped, compressed and burned automatically for me then sit there and wait for 7 hours.  If your still undecided just make a movie with dvdshrink, then test it out and let us know what you think, I think it's a great program for dvd movie backup.

Dagoth

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 05:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (Comcipher @ Jul 6 2004, 01:38 PM)
The only way you really notice a loss in video quality is if you were to watch all of your movies on a huge hi-def TV, and even in that case it's hardly any loss if done right.  I've never had any problems with copy protection, and i'm using the latest version.  I would rather have a really good looking complete dvd ripped, compressed and burned automatically for me then sit there and wait for 7 hours.  If your still undecided just make a movie with dvdshrink, then test it out and let us know what you think, I think it's a great program for dvd movie backup.

couldn't have said it better myself   beerchug.gif

DVD shrink is my program of choice (unless I'm encoding films for my iPAQ, but that's another story...)

Raver758

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »

Oh I do use dvd shrink but only for say 5 to 6 gig movies. Though for big ones I bust out the cce for encoding.

bluedeath

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

DVD Decrypter is the best program for decrypting to your hdd.  The best compressor (compressing VOBs for use on single layer dvd media) is DVD2ONE.  

Clonedvd is the best all in one program.    

If you are ripping to divx the best fire and forget program is Dr. Divx (you will need to decrypt the VOBs to your computer first).  I know that many people do not like Dr. Divx because of the cost.  I like it for it's ability to handle as many files as I can pack into the queue.  That feature alone offsets the cost.

The last version of DVD shrink that I played with was nothing more than a conglomeration of freeware.  As I recall it did include DVDDECRYPTER but the interface was a joke.

Comcipher

• Archived User
Backing Up Movie Dvds
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (bluedeath @ Jul 6 2004, 10:10 AM)
The last version of DVD shrink that I played with was nothing more than a conglomeration of freeware.  As I recall it did include DVDDECRYPTER but the interface was a joke.

Maybe you used one of the older versions.  I only like it *okay* for awhile, but then I installed the updated version and fell in love with it.  Excellent interface, great quality, and a price that can't be beat.  Best of all it does everything for you so no more wasted time fooling around with compression settings untill you get it right ( unless you like that kind of stuff, in which case there is still the manual option which I use every once and awhile ).
Pages: [1] 2