xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Android 4.0.4  (Read 1008 times)

homebird

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:00 AM »

After installing this my phone battery get low soon sad.gif

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:42:00 AM »

Just thought I would break in the new forum with a post.

If you have an android device that an ICS build is available for, you should definitely get it installed.

I use a rooted Moto Xoom that runs the nightly EOS build, its really a great OS.

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »

I'm an iOS user, but my wife has an annoying HTC Desire (first one, not one of the new ones) that has that horrible HTC sense interface.

Worse, it came preloaded with so many duplicated apps, (HTC and Googles) that can't be manually deleted. Anyone know if Rooting and upgrading to ICS is possible, if not.. what version of Android can I get it up to? Think it's 2.1 now.

/end Thread Hijack

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Jun 2 2012, 08:49 AM) View Post

I'm an iOS user, but my wife has an annoying HTC Desire (first one, not one of the new ones) that has that horrible HTC sense interface.

Worse, it came preloaded with so many duplicated apps, (HTC and Googles) that can't be manually deleted. Anyone know if Rooting and upgrading to ICS is possible, if not.. what version of Android can I get it up to? Think it's 2.1 now.

/end Thread Hijack

Yes yes and yes.

http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=628

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:00 AM »

lots to read. Thanks

doop

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Jun 3 2012, 03:21 PM) View Post

lots to read. Thanks

I really wouldn`t bother with ICS for the original desire as its still buggy as hell. If its used daily then I would go for Cyanogen mod 7.1 which is a pared down version of Gingerbread 2.3.7   .
My other half has a desire and after installing this it was like having a new phone :0)

CyanogenMod install guide

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 04:49:00 AM »

Thanks. I've also been warned that the original desire she has might be sluggish under ics so I will give your suggestion a go of it I think. Lots of reading to do.

This is a stop gap measure as she has finally conceded android was a mistake for her. Next iPhone launch, and she will add to our growing collect of ios devices. I've long since given up trying to make her android give her the apple experience when that just really isn't possible.

I'm sure the android faithful just write this off as an apple fanboy venting. I'm sure there is some of the too. But the honest truth that whatever I download for my army of iOS devices simply work. Too much of the stuff she has wanted either doesn't exist as the same app/game, or worse does but may or may not work on her hardware or android version.

Anyone can make a mobile os with app and I icons.   It doesn't mean it's a good experience for the end user.

Anyways thank for the additional info.

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »

I can appreciate what you are saying.  I have 5 iOs devices at home, but with ICS I really cant see anything that iOs has that ICS doesn't, just the opposite in fact.
 Flash, certain networking apps...etc
If for nothing else I would just love to kick iTunes in the nads.  I hate that program so much...... grr.gif

Alex548

• Recovered User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(HSDEMONZ @ Jun 2 2012, 06:49 AM) View Post

Worse, it came preloaded with so many duplicated apps, (HTC and Googles) that can't be manually deleted.

Root the phone, then use Titanium Backup to remove the preinstalled bloatware.
Better yet, install a custom gingerbread ROM (most custom ROMS already have the bloatware removed).

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »

Yeah, I need to do this with our Samsung Transforms. My wife likes the keyboard, but the lagginess, due to mostly Sprint's crap is annoying.

I might mess with it after I get an iPhone... up for an upgrade cycle in a couple of months. Assuming my "Conk" and "Virtual Cat Toys" take off in Google Play, I'll be adding some Apple hardware to the home soon.

Even 2.3 seems ancient these days, though it's not really that old.

ICS is decent for tablets, but as a developer, it's bit infuriating that they left no way to remove the soft-keys and status bar when doing full screen games. The only thing worse is the idiotic "Activity" pattern Google Android follows for it's UI (back-back-back-back-finally exits...)

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

Speaking of Android 4.0.4, if you are lucky enough to have a device that can take AOKP I'd def try that out.  
I've loaded all kinds of roms over a lot of devices and AOKP is my favorite by far on handheld and tablet.  
Its like CM9 but with more feature and options for you.  

What I like about loading CM9/AOSP/AOKP on any device I can is that it gives me a good stock experience with no carrier bloatware.  No motoblur vs sense vs touchwiz UI's etc.  Granted, the newer sense and touchwiz are adding some nice features but the overall experience doesn't flow well.  Of course my opinion but I think I'm in the majority on it... smile.gif

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
Android 4.0.4
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:34:00 PM »

Just installed 4.1.1 jelly bean on my xoom, works like a treat.