xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Possible Upcoming Large Quake In California?  (Read 926 times)

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
Possible Upcoming Large Quake In California?
« on: April 14, 2010, 04:32:00 AM »

Its about 11am greenwich mean on the 14th april as I sit and write this. Just thought Id mention the facts first then some feelings. I would provide links but its late here Im not at greenwich mean just wanted to give point of reference. I will provide links in a later post.

First some facts

Los Angeles it built on top of six miles high of sand it is called the los angeles basin.

Earthquakes like the 1960 chile the 1964 alaska have seen soil subsidence and soil liquefaction.

This can cause large sections of land to drop feet.

There has been an uptick in seismic activity in california starting from january of this year. search for the la times article

Small quakes can either follow or precede a larger earthquake.

The san andreas fault according to a study done by  Yuri Fialko of Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California, San Diego has been stressed enough to the point of creating a large quake since 2004.

Now on to feelings.

First why would anyone live on another tectonic plate if you live in the u.s.?

Plates move around. The part of california thats on the pacfic plate will at some point seperate from the north american plate. Its not if but when.

Second having built an entire city on sand that can be subject to liquefaction or subsidence is not wise there is no way I would live there.

Many people posted videos on youtube over the past year or two saying 2010 would be year california expirences "big one".  for a bible refrence google "mathew 24"

Hope this helps someone.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »

saw the same thing on 4chan   wink.gif

anyhow... Arkansas is due, but let the whole of Cali slip its lid

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Apr 14 2010, 06:56 AM) View Post

saw the same thing on 4chan   wink.gif

anyhow... Arkansas is due, but let the whole of Cali slip its lid

Arkansas I wasn't aware of.

I have heard or new madrid fault though. Amazing to me only a few buildings in that area are "earthquake proof". I know they are old buildings but renovation happens all the time. The only building I heard of that was Autozone's headquarters.

"AutoZone corporate headquarters in Memphis, Tennessee, is the first building in the central Mississippi Valley to use base isolation."

http://quake.usgs.go...eets/NewMadrid/

All new buildings should be being built this way.
One of the reasons Haiti was so devastating was lack of building codes and no earthquake building codes. Chile has better building codes so even though Chile quake was bigger it was less catastrophic.

I read about a dream someone about how japan goes when california mega quake happens.  I did some research Japan. It sits on the boundary of three different tectonic plates. Its possible it could flood or sink. Plate boundaries are not a good place to live.  sad.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »

this is what i meant by ARK.  meant that whole region.  could be explosive! =) sorrry bout the angle
(IMG:http://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/products/conterminous/2008/maps/us/5hzSA.5in50.usa.jpg)

xboxgamer733

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Apr 16 2010, 07:16 AM) View Post
could be explosive! =)
I just hope Yellowstone doesn't decide to blow its lid anytime soon. I'm sure I'd feel the results of that pretty quickly! tongue.gif

_GhOsT_

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxgamer733 @ Apr 17 2010, 07:03 PM) View Post

I just hope Yellowstone doesn't decide to blow its lid anytime soon. I'm sure I'd feel the results of that pretty quickly! tongue.gif

same here

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 10:44:00 PM »

the crazy thing about earthquakes on the new madrid faultline is how far they propagate, earthquakes in missouri have been felt, and even rang church bells, as far away as boston

there was one 2 years ago to the day http://earthquake.us...008/us2008qza6/
i live in chicago almost 300 miles away and it woke me up and i thought i was dreaming my bed shaking, lol

if you know what look (feel) for youll actually notice a lot of earthquakes in the chicago area

First why would anyone live on another tectonic plate if you live in the u.s.?

well everyone lives on a tectonic plate, the only other place to be would be below the earths crust, and its a bit warm down there  tongue.gif

as for why people live on a tectonic boundary, there are many reasons, these areas tend to have volcanoes as well as earthquakes, and volcanic soil is known to be very fertile. but another reason is just chance or bad luck, cities like LA and san francisco were well established before the earthquake threat was fully understood, after that it was just easier to deal with the quakes than try to relocate a major city

but you can apply this logic to almost anywhere, why live in a florida with all the hurricanes? or the midwest with the tornadoes, alaska with all the blizzards, hawaii with the volcanoes. pick your poison, lol

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »

Turns out the "islandmountainglacier" volcano has a big brother that normally erupts within a year of it.

http://www.livescien...ion-100419.html

But another, closer volcano, called Katla, has a history of going off whenever Eyjafjallajokull does. Three times in history when Eyjafjallajokull has erupted — in 926, 1621 and 1821 — Katla has too.

Here is video interview by bbc of president of Iceland on Katla.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ght/8631343.stm

Yeah if Yellowstone goes could cause huge problems in lower 48.  Helens eruption in 1980? think it was caused lots propagation of ash for hundreds of miles.

Worst case yellowstone scenario. Honestly not concerned maybe should be but Im not. This would be a real kiss your as goodbye moment.

QUOTE(_GhOsT_ @ Apr 17 2010, 11:20 PM) View Post

same here

No your right its like errosion of roads and land in cape cod and florida. Different poisons. But there are areas that are more prone to natural disasters than others.  

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Apr 18 2010, 12:44 AM) View Post

the crazy thing about earthquakes on the new madrid faultline is how far they propagate, earthquakes in missouri have been felt, and even rang church bells, as far away as boston

there was one 2 years ago to the day http://earthquake.us...008/us2008qza6/
i live in chicago almost 300 miles away and it woke me up and i thought i was dreaming my bed shaking, lol

if you know what look (feel) for youll actually notice a lot of earthquakes in the chicago area
well everyone lives on a tectonic plate, the only other place to be would be below the earths crust, and its a bit warm down there  tongue.gif

as for why people live on a tectonic boundary, there are many reasons, these areas tend to have volcanoes as well as earthquakes, and volcanic soil is known to be very fertile. but another reason is just chance or bad luck, cities like LA and san francisco were well established before the earthquake threat was fully understood, after that it was just easier to deal with the quakes than try to relocate a major city

but you can apply this logic to almost anywhere, why live in a florida with all the hurricanes? or the midwest with the tornadoes, alaska with all the blizzards, hawaii with the volcanoes. pick your poison, lol

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »

Found a map of local area near Katla one can see the difference between it and and "islandmountainglacier" volcano. Thats near it.

http://www.skimounta....php?name=Katla

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 04:05:00 AM »

First of all thoughts go out to all those affected by tsunami and quake in japan. Devastating events. I hope people are able to find their families.

I saw this link on news.google.com

Strong chance of a 7.0 earthquake: Japan agency

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110...-monday-110314/

"While relief efforts continued Monday for survivors of the earthquake and tsunami that devastated Japan's northeast, the country's meteorological agency warned of the possibility of a 7.0 or higher magnitude temblor in the coming days.

According to the agency, there is a 70 per cent chance of another quake in the next three days and a 50 per cent chance of another hitting three days after that because of high tectonic activity."

The original first post of this thread was based off a vision from 1937. Some guy named Brandt had. The vision besides los angeles sinking also mentions Japan. Its unthinkable. I posted this so people in Japan who can leave will be aware. It seems that area might be in process of shifting seismically / plate wise.

This post has been edited by signal-to-noise-ratio: Mar 14 2011, 11:06 AM