xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Didnt Anyone Watch Die Hard 4? Or Rumbles Of A Future World War  (Read 1138 times)

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User

First piece of article. Honestly we should just go back to the days of standalone systems pre WAN. Back in the 50s 60s most of the infrastructure was afaik offline. Having networks that are controlling infrastructure connected into the inet is asking for trouble. Still this allows you to see that Russia and China are gearing up for something.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSTRE53729120090408

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Cyberspies have penetrated the U.S. electrical grid and left behind software programs that could be used to disrupt the system, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

The spies came from China, Russia and other countries, and were believed to be on a mission to navigate the U.S. electrical system and its controls, the newspaper said, citing current and former U.S. national security officials.

The intruders have not sought to damage the power grid or other key infrastructure but officials said they could try during a crisis or war, the paper said in a report on its website.

"The Chinese have attempted to map our infrastructure, such as the electrical grid," a senior intelligence official told the Journal. "So have the Russians."

The espionage appeared pervasive across the United States and does not target a particular company or region, said a former Department of Homeland Security official.

"There are intrusions, and they are growing," the former official told the paper, referring to electrical systems. "There were a lot last year.""

This post has been edited by signal-to-noise-ratio: Apr 8 2009, 05:00 PM

lordvader129

• Archived User
Didnt Anyone Watch Die Hard 4? Or Rumbles Of A Future World War
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

or Battlestar Galactica, lol

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »

Stopped watching Die Hard after part 3, with Samuel Jackson. It was so stupid....I decided not to ever watch any Die Hard again? Was Die Hard 4 straight to DVD? Lol.  Who did not know that already.  The Chinese are good hackers.  I installed the first major trojan released by the Chinese in 2004.  I downloaded softice and included in the cracked version was a whole assortment of crazy shit.  It tried to conceal itself in the system files, modified startup processes. Got rid of task manager. Stole passwords and tried to analyze my private data.  I saw my name in one of the 'dummy generated files'.  It got my name off by 1 character.  So for example your name was larry ulrich. It generated a file called larry_alrich02_sys.exe. It was fucking around with the registry.  It was quite nasty. Quite sophisticated for something in April/May 2004.

this was right around the time that Kapersky sought to make a living ridding computers worldwide of malware and trojans.

I know because I worked for a computer company in 2005-2006 that built computers for universities and private customers.  I worked as a linux/windows tech support. I would get customers calling in their help desk tickets saying my computer got odd behavior. I would run Kapersky lab and do analysis of file system.
 In 2001, I worked at Auctionwatch.com. We almost got hit by the CodeRed DDoS worm released by the Chinese.  But our Network admin patched our cisco routers to block it.

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ Apr 8 2009, 07:00 PM) View Post

Stopped watching Die Hard after part 3, with Samuel Jackson. It was so stupid....I decided not to ever watch any Die Hard again? Was Die Hard 4 straight to DVD? Lol.  Who did not know that already.  The Chinese are good hackers.  I installed the first major trojan released by the Chinese in 2004.  I downloaded softice and included in the cracked version was a whole assortment of crazy shit.  It tried to conceal itself in the system files, modified startup processes. Got rid of task manager. Stole passwords and tried to analyze my private data.  I saw my name in one of the 'dummy generated files'.  It got my name off by 1 character.  So for example your name was larry ulrich. It generated a file called larry_alrich02_sys.exe. It was fucking around with the registry.  It was quite nasty. Quite sophisticated for something in April/May 2004.

this was right around the time that Kapersky sought to make a living ridding computers worldwide of malware and trojans.

I know because I worked for a computer company in 2005-2006 that built computers for universities and private customers.  I worked as a linux/windows tech support. I would get customers calling in their help desk tickets saying my computer got odd behavior. I would run Kapersky lab and do analysis of file system.
 In 2001, I worked at Auctionwatch.com. We almost got hit by the CodeRed DDoS worm released by the Chinese.  But our Network admin patched our cisco routers to block it.

The few times I have run bit torrent last year and in 06 with port forwarding enabled on router, Peer guardian picked up connects from china railway, china aerospace and others. It seems they have massive port scans going.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »

^^haha... yeah, ok... rolleyes.gif

i especially like this line:
QUOTE(leet IT guy)
It was fucking around with the registry. It was quite nasty. Quite sophisticated for something in April/May 2004.

laugh.gif

This post has been edited by gcskate27: Apr 8 2009, 11:40 PM

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ Apr 8 2009, 07:00 PM) View Post

Agree. Routers can be very helpful stemming the tide on a persistent attack.   biggrin.gif

Anyway I think technologies days our numbered.

Anything from another 1859 type sun event.  Google 1859 Carrington

http://www.sciam.com...olar-superstorm

http://science.nasa....ingtonflare.htm

http://www.newscient....html?full=true

Example from 1989 weaker than the 1859 one.

http://en.wikipedia....omagnetic_storm

"Accordingly, protective measures were taken in response. To save the transformers and other electrical equipment, the power grid was taken out of commission, as circuit breakers tripped all over Quebec and shut off the power.[87] Within less than 90 seconds, this wave of breaking circuits left the entire transmission grid out of service. The collapsed power grid left six million people and the rest of Quebec without electricity for hours on a very cold night. Even though the blackout lasted around nine hours for most places, some locations were in the dark for days. This geomagnetic storm caused about C$10 million in damage to Hydro-Québec and tens of millions to the customers of the utility."
-

To the approaching geomagnetic north south pole reversal. Google South Atlantic Anomaly  or geomagnetic reversal

http://heasarc.gsfc..../misc_saad.html

http://www.esa.int/e..._LPswarm_2.html

"The experts wonder if our planet is preparing to swap its north and south magnetic poles around, as it has often done before during the Earth’s long history."

http://iss.jaxa.jp/s...ct/rrmd_map.jpg

http://forgetomori.c...lantic-anomaly/

http://www.wisegeek....-pole-shift.htm
-

To a 300 mile high up emp blast from an enemy country that wipes out an entire continent's electronics.

http://en.wikipedia....omagnetic_pulse

"Starfish Prime also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, more than 800 miles away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link.

The EMP damage of the Starfish Prime test was quickly repaired because of the ruggedness (compared to today) of the electrical and electronic infrastructure of Hawaii in 1962. Realization of the potential impacts of EMP became more apparent to some scientists and engineers during the 1970s as more sensitive solid-state electronics began to come into widespread use."

Microchips and diodes burnout under heavy electromagnetic pulses.

"The E3 component has similarities to a geomagnetic storm caused by a very severe solar flare.[14][15] Like a geomagnetic storm, E3 can produce geomagnetically induced currents in long electrical conductors, which can then damage components such as power line transformers."

http://online.wsj.co...3919852015.html

"and the missile explodes 300 miles over Chicago. The nuclear detonation in space creates an electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

Gamma rays from the explosion, through the Compton Effect, generate three classes of disruptive electromagnetic pulses, which permanently destroy consumer electronics, the electronics in some automobiles and, most importantly, the hundreds of large transformers that distribute power throughout the U.S. All of our lights, refrigerators, water-pumping stations, TVs and radios stop running. We have no communication and no ability to provide food and water"
-

Anyone one of those is most likely going to put technology in dire straits. Its good to know how to live simply if need be.

damam

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Apr 8 2009, 06:33 AM) View Post

or Battlestar Galactica, lol

or terminator

luckily, however, John Connor will save us all should any of this stuff get out of hand.  so we really dont have to worry about it.

didnt this breach of national security happen about 2 years ago?  I am more curious about why the press is making a deal about it now.  the only thing i can come up with is that it will be used to push through the smart grid, because we all know the politics of fear are officially over.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »

QUOTE(signal-to-noise-ratio @ Apr 14 2009, 06:54 AM) View Post

To a 300 mile high up emp blast from an enemy country that wipes out an entire continent's electronics.

http://en.wikipedia....omagnetic_pulse

"Starfish Prime also made those effects known to the public by causing electrical damage in Hawaii, more than 800 miles away from the detonation point, knocking out about 300 streetlights, setting off numerous burglar alarms and damaging a telephone company microwave link.

The EMP damage of the Starfish Prime test was quickly repaired because of the ruggedness (compared to today) of the electrical and electronic infrastructure of Hawaii in 1962. Realization of the potential impacts of EMP became more apparent to some scientists and engineers during the 1970s as more sensitive solid-state electronics began to come into widespread use."

Microchips and diodes burnout under heavy electromagnetic pulses.

"The E3 component has similarities to a geomagnetic storm caused by a very severe solar flare.[14][15] Like a geomagnetic storm, E3 can produce geomagnetically induced currents in long electrical conductors, which can then damage components such as power line transformers."

http://online.wsj.co...3919852015.html

"and the missile explodes 300 miles over Chicago. The nuclear detonation in space creates an electromagnetic pulse (EMP).

Gamma rays from the explosion, through the Compton Effect, generate three classes of disruptive electromagnetic pulses, which permanently destroy consumer electronics, the electronics in some automobiles and, most importantly, the hundreds of large transformers that distribute power throughout the U.S. All of our lights, refrigerators, water-pumping stations, TVs and radios stop running. We have no communication and no ability to provide food and water"

add 007: Goldeneye to the list of movies

ah hollywood, is there anything you cant teach us about the real world?

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(signal-to-noise-ratio @ Apr 14 2009, 07:54 AM) View Post

-
Anyone one of those is most likely going to put technology in dire straits. Its good to know how to live simply if need be.

Gamma rays!!! yeah It is a product of self sustaining, cascading energy states. It is a power cycle that feeds back into the loop.  Endless energy. Recursion. I love gamma. hehe! Fry sensitive electronics. Gamma gamma!!! yeehaw! Lets fry some electro sensitve devices.

Edit: The Gamma function I should say!

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Apr 14 2009, 02:22 PM) View Post

add 007: Goldeneye to the list of movies

ah hollywood, is there anything you cant teach us about the real world?

No doubt Goldeneye the movie. At some point I have to play the game again. People talk about it as being very good. My friend had an n64. I tried it once. The turret you could setup and leave was an awesome weapon.

Sorry wasn't trying to pick on Chicago was just quoting article. In order to effectively wipe out all devices on the north american continent, there would have to be an emp going off 300 miles up over Kansas or Oklahoma notice where the center in the video of the detonation is over. So I doubt it would go off directly over chicago. If video doesn't work watch "Future Weapons" the emp episode. Future weapons is a discovery or military channel show so should be able to find. This emp could happen in a ww3 scenario as a first strike from another country like Russia China.

What concerns me more is the solar flare scenario. It is not if but when. Nasa has thought the threat was real enough of to do a serious study on it. Link to article in New Scientist. I posted earlier but the importance of it may have been overlooked.

"Few New Yorkers have seen the aurora this far south but their fascination is short-lived. Within a few seconds, electric bulbs dim and flicker, then become unusually bright for a fleeting moment. Then all the lights in the state go out. Within 90 seconds, the entire eastern half of the US is without power."

"A year later and" "The World Bank declares America a developing nation. Europe, Scandinavia, China and Japan are also struggling to recover from the same fateful event - a violent storm, 150 million kilometres away on the surface of the sun.
It sounds ridiculous. Surely the sun couldn't create so profound a disaster on Earth. Yet an extraordinary report funded by NASA and issued by the US National Academy of Sciences (NAS) in January this year claims it could do just that."

http://www.newscient....html?full=true

So yes I think since systems haven't been hardened it could be a rough road for a while.

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ Apr 14 2009, 05:39 PM) View Post

Gamma rays!!! yeah It is a product of self sustaining, cascading energy states. It is a power cycle that feeds back into the loop.  Endless energy. Recursion. I love gamma. hehe! Fry sensitive electronics. Gamma gamma!!! yeehaw! Lets fry some electro sensitve devices.

Edit: The Gamma function I should say!

From the wiki article. I didnt catch this last night since it was late but very interesting.

"Beyond a certain altitude a nuclear weapon will not produce any EMP, as the gamma rays will have had sufficient distance to disperse. In deep space or on worlds with no magnetic field (the moon or Mars for example) there will be little or no EMP. This has implications for certain kinds of nuclear rocket engines."

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(signal-to-noise-ratio @ Apr 14 2009, 02:54 PM) View Post

No doubt Goldeneye the movie. At some point I have to play the game again. People talk about it as being very good. My friend had an n64. I tried it once. The turret you could setup and leave was an awesome weapon.

yeah, easily the best n64 there is, i still have my n64 hooke dup just to play, emulators never felt right

Sorry wasn't trying to pick on Chicago was just quoting article.

eh, i didnt even take it that way, in one of my favorite PC games (red alert 2) chicago is destroyed by a russian nuke, lol

In order to effectively wipe out all devices on the north american continent, there would have to be an emp going off 300 miles up over Kansas or Oklahoma notice where the center in the video of the detonation is over. So I doubt it would go off directly over chicago. If video doesn't work watch "Future Weapons" the emp episode. Future weapons is a discovery or military channel show so should be able to find.

while is true such a weapon is possible and would be devastating, its actually outlawed by international treaty, and yeah, i know in a ww3 scenario treaties probably wont mean much, but as far as we know no nation even has such a weapon in development

This emp could happen in a ww3 scenario as a first strike from another country like Russia China.

currently no nation or internation alliance has true first strike capability (using of course the proper M.A.D. definition of "first strike")

signal-to-noise-ratio

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(damam @ Apr 14 2009, 12:04 PM) View Post

or terminator

luckily, however, John Connor will save us all should any of this stuff get out of hand.  so we really dont have to worry about it.
didnt this breach of national security happen about 2 years ago?  I am more curious about why the press is making a deal about it now.  the only thing i can come up with is that it will be used to push through the smart grid, because we all know the politics of fear are officially over.

Or setting up suppourt for this

http://slashdot.org/...wn-the-internet

"to access private online data, regulate the cybersecurity industry and even shut down Internet traffic during a declared "cyber emergency"

While Im glad we finally did learn of the breaches I agree the fact that we just found out recently is odd.