xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Herman Cain's Intelligent Thinkers Movement.  (Read 265 times)

lordvader129

• Archived User
Herman Cain's Intelligent Thinkers Movement.
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »

he may say its not a dem, rep, lib, etc movement, but based on his "key issues" its definitely right wing, the fact that he even has that section indicates that he wants to tell "we the people" what we should be doing

hate to break it to you, but everyone has their agendas

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »

But even if we were to assume that all "his" issues were only of a conservative bias, don't you think liberals should join up too? Make it even?

but therein lies the problem, by having a set of heavily conservative "key issues" hes putting liberals off, and perpetuating the partisan divides, why should liberals join him when they can find a liberal "intelligent thinkers movement" to try to dispose of partisan politics with liberal goals??

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »

personally when politicians cross party lines or even the thought of coming together is not good for anyone. We should have a bigger divide if anything, otherwise its just group think amongst people who are already far from regular citizens. They should be fighting then come to a compromise rather than agreeing from the beginning.

limbfilter

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Jan 14 2009, 12:21 PM) View Post

you seem to be coming from the same position as most people discussing politics, which is "smart people will agree with me"

many people can easily disagree with cain's points

1: national security: sure, the government should protect us, but not at the cost of civil liberties, and a strong army can often be seen as provoking more conflicts that it protects against, its somewhat paradoxical

2: taxes: personally im opposed to the fair tax, and would rather see a restructuring of the income tax

3: energy independence: i feel that working closer with oil-exporting and developing nations is key to ending global energy problems, sortof a national version of "no man is an island unto himself"

4: tsunami spending: he is essentially proposing a knee-jerk reaction to a knee-jerk reaction, and two wrongs dont make a right
but therein lies the problem, by having a set of heavily conservative "key issues" hes putting liberals off, and perpetuating the partisan divides, why should liberals join him when they can find a liberal "intelligent thinkers movement" to try to dispose of partisan politics with liberal goals??

My apologies if I came off that way.....

1: I agree about not infringing on civil liberties....in fact to be ok with that is like the liberal mindset I described......Let the government do what they want as long as I'm ok.....And as for provoking more conflicts, I can see that....But I'd say the alternative would be worse....Locking your car doesn't prevent someone from stealing it....but you do it anyway...

2: Please explain why you don't like the fair tax...I've yet to read or hear a good reason not to support it....

3: We get most of our oil from Saudi Arabia.....We import more than the next three countries combined....
In the 80's we worked with iraq to keep iran out....and then in 1990 iraq invaded kuwait....In the 80's we also helped afghanastan get rid of the invading soviets....and everyone knows what happened in 2001....Working with developing nations hasn't been good for the US in quite a while.

4: He's suggesting restructuring government programs and giving them a spending limit...You're in favor of restructuring the tax code but not what we spend it on?

@lostboyz: I can see your point....However, we have gotten to the point where people vote a certain way just because of what party they belong to...Even if they are hypocrites....