xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Controversial Commercial  (Read 605 times)

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:00 AM »

I was watching TV, and a VERY politically correct commercial came up. I really like it. It's very well executed and beautiful, even though it's too pc or just "too much" in general.

It's a commercial for Björn Borg, for some reason - http://www.bjornborg.com/en/Love/film/

The video in a little worse Youtube-quality -

I'd be interested to know if you think such a commercial could be aired in american TV?

gcskate27

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 01:06:00 PM »

fuck no... americans, on the whole, are backwards, closed-minded people who think that anyone who isnt christian is evil...

they would never air that commercial on the 3 major networks...

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »

You seem pretty sure. That's really sad, as it's such a simple, yet powerful video. One of the most important short videos I've ever seen.

I guess they made it as there's a lot of debate about female priests and gay marriage in Sweden. And since they know the vast majority here support the views of this video I guess they felt fairly safe doing it. Still haven't heard any negative opinion on it, which makes me really glad.

If this would ever reach USA, Björn Borg will probably lose a great deal of his fan-base smile.gif This is far more important, though.

I wish as many as possible would see it!

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 03:19:00 PM »

I didn't watch the video, but I disagree with the statement that something promoting the freedom to sexuality would NEVER be aired in the US - you may beleive that all people of the US are homophobes, but you'd be wrong - many people believe that gays should have equal rights, the same as everyone else - its nobody's business whom marries whom - its just that the extreme Christian half seems to push its views more desperately than those in support of homosexuality - many of our states that have voted to ban gay marriage only passed the vote by a 5-10% margin - so, on a whole only about 55-60% support any type of ban and I fully expect these bans to change within 10 years - it will someday go before the national Supreme Court which will have no choice but to decide on the side of human rights and lift the bans against gays... after all, we can't build a country and government on the ideals of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" and "All men are created equal" and expect to stomp on the rights of others - it'll change smile.gif

I didn't watch the video, but I disagree with the statement that something promoting the freedom to sexuality would NEVER be aired in the US - you may beleive that all people of the US are homophobes, but you'd be wrong - many people believe that gays should have equal rights, the same as everyone else - its nobody's business whom marries whom - its just that the extreme Christian half seems to push its views more desperately than those in support of homosexuality - many of our states that have voted to ban gay marriage only passed the vote by a 5-10% margin - so, on a whole only about 55-60% support any type of ban and I fully expect these bans to change within 10 years - it will someday go before the national Supreme Court which will have no choice but to decide on the side of human rights and lift the bans against gays... after all, we can't build a country and government on the ideals of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" and "All men are created equal" and expect to stomp on the rights of others - it'll change smile.gif

buttface96

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Dec 6 2008, 12:29 PM) View Post

You seem pretty sure. That's really sad, as it's such a simple, yet powerful video. One of the most important short videos I've ever seen.

I guess they made it as there's a lot of debate about female priests and gay marriage in Sweden. And since they know the vast majority here support the views of this video I guess they felt fairly safe doing it. Still haven't heard any negative opinion on it, which makes me really glad.

If this would ever reach USA, Björn Borg will probably lose a great deal of his fan-base smile.gif This is far more important, though.

I wish as many as possible would see it!

I do not see why it would not air here in California, there was a very similar TV commercial airing pre-election time here relating to Prop 8 (The ban on gay marriage which passed here). It was not as blunt and as direct as the video you posted but it had the same concept.

I'm a Christian and I personally believe homosexuality is wrong, however I do think they should have the same rights as everyone else. However marriage is a little bit different. Heck, look up marriage in the dictionary and it will even tell you something along these lines:

the social institution under which a man and woman establish their decision to live as husband and wife by legal commitments, religious ceremonies, etc.

But that's just the term "marriage" I do not see why two people cannot be together regardless of sexes, but marriage is what it is plain and simple. What the legislature needs to come up with is a new term with virtually the same rights for homosexual couples, like domestic partnership or something. Trust me, if they call it "marriage" then a majority of the Christian community are going to remain against it, but if legislature or someone can come up with a different term, then there will be more support coming from Christians and more Americans for that matter.

In a nutshell, I believe homosexuals have the right to choose to be together and have the same rights as marriage, it just needs to be called something different.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(buttface96 @ Dec 6 2008, 09:45 PM) View Post

I do not see why it would not air here in California, there was a very similar TV commercial airing pre-election time here relating to Prop 8 (The ban on gay marriage which passed here). It was not as blunt and as direct as the video you posted but it had the same concept.

I'm a Christian and I personally believe homosexuality is wrong, however I do think they should have the same rights as everyone else. However marriage is a little bit different. Heck, look up marriage in the dictionary and it will even tell you something along these lines:

But that's just the term "marriage" I do not see why two people cannot be together regardless of sexes, but marriage is what it is plain and simple. What the legislature needs to come up with is a new term with virtually the same rights for homosexual couples, like domestic partnership or something. Trust me, if they call it "marriage" then a majority of the Christian community are going to remain against it, but if legislature or someone can come up with a different term, then there will be more support coming from Christians and more Americans for that matter.

In a nutshell, I believe homosexuals have the right to choose to be together and have the same rights as marriage, it just needs to be called something different.

well your dictionary definition you have to wonder, are social trends following the dictionary, or is the dictionary following social trends? but i could go on for hours about how the concept marriage is the worst marriage (no pun intended) of church and state still in the world today

to be honest the part of the video struck me the most was that both the grooms appeared to be dressed as catholic priests, is it supposed to be a 3 pronged statement? allow gay marriage, allow female priests, and allow priests to marry?

hamwbone

• Recovered User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:25:00 PM »

i think the video is stupid as shit. they should fight the government for their right to become a union, not for the right to get "married" in a church.  im all form letting the gov. recognize them as a union - but why do thye think they need god to recognize it as a marrige. his rules are laid out very legibly in the bible. seems like what they is an ammendment to the bible.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »

i decided to make a blog post on the subject, its short but hopefully it will generate some discussion

http://www.disgustab...-and-State.html

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 08:43:00 AM »

hamwbone: In a sense I agree. If the bible clearly hates homosexuals, I don't really see why a priest that believes in every word of it should be forced to marry them. And even more so, I don't understand why homosexuals would want to be married in church if they're so hated in the bible.

But, none of that really matters to me as I hate religions and how they e.g. make homosexuals feel. Therefore I'm all for gay marriage, as I hope every change in the church will make it weaker and weaker.

Some think it will strengthen the church if they allow gay marriage, but in the end I think people will have a hard time finding the bible reasonable as not very much of its morals are applied in the church or society today. On the other hand I've got no idea how anyone can be so deluded to believe a word of it today.

Reaper527

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 09:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(gcskate27 @ Dec 6 2008, 03:06 PM) View Post

they would never air that commercial on the 3 major networks...

agreed. there is NO way that would get aired nationally, and locally, i don't think anyone would air it in my home state of massachusetts, and it doesn't get much bluer than here. this might even be over the top for southern california.

money talks, and there is no company that is willing to offend 60%+ of their fanbase

on a side note, who or what is björn borg? assuming that is isn't the name of a politician or a political group, and that they actually sell something, the ad sucked from a marketing standpoint. that ad didn't even tell me what they sell.

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »

Who is Björn Borg? Now that's an offence =)

Björn Borg is a Swedish tennis player known as the greatest of all time. I do think Federer is or will be considered greater though.

Today Björn Borg is a clothing brand. It, obviously, wasn't their intention to show off clothes, but to make a buzz around this commercial and the brand. I'm positive this will boost their sales far more than actually showing off clothes.

Almost everyone seems to love it, and it's a commercial people talk about. The gay community will certainly buy their stuff.

I have no doubt the company don't care all too much about the political statement they made, but to associate their name with an issue many agree with, ultimately generating more money.

Regardless of their intentions I think they made a great commercial that serves a good purpose.

buttface96

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Dec 9 2008, 03:05 PM) View Post

Almost everyone seems to love it, and it's a commercial people talk about. The gay community will certainly buy their stuff.

If that video did air in the states, I think it would definitely spark more outrage than support. the concept of gay marriage was fine in the video, but the idea of marrying of two gay catholic priests definitely crossed the line in my opinion.

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(buttface96 @ Dec 10 2008, 01:27 AM) View Post

If that video did air in the states, I think it would definitely spark more outrage than support. the concept of gay marriage was fine in the video, but the idea of marrying of two gay catholic priests definitely crossed the line in my opinion.

Sure, and that'd be great! It's about damn time you people wake up.

From an economic standpoint Björn Borg will make it as lots of people will INTENTIONALLY support their clothes because of this. They will probably make more than from any other commercial showing clothes.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(gronned @ Dec 8 2008, 07:43 AM) View Post

hamwbone: In a sense I agree. If the bible clearly hates homosexuals, I don't really see why a priest that believes in every word of it should be forced to marry them. And even more so, I don't understand why homosexuals would want to be married in church if they're so hated in the bible.

well this is actually a point of debate, homosexuality is listed as a sin under hebrew law, but so is eating pork, lobster and cheeseburgers, and most christians do that without a second thought

its a matter of the modern christian church picking and choosing which laws they like, and which they dont, and many people have different interpretations

gronned

• Archived User
Controversial Commercial
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(lordvader129 @ Dec 11 2008, 12:28 AM) View Post

well this is actually a point of debate, homosexuality is listed as a sin under hebrew law, but so is eating pork, lobster and cheeseburgers, and most christians do that without a second thought

its a matter of the modern christian church picking and choosing which laws they like, and which they dont, and many people have different interpretations

Absolutely, all Christians are hypocrites, but homosexuality is definitely forbidden, so they follow the bible in that sense. That most Christians don't even have a clue it's a sin to eat pork, simply follows their love for picking only the parts of the bible they like. Most Christians don't kill people that work on the Sabbath. Most of them work on the Sabbath themselves.

If they think they follow the bible they should even commit suicide for working on the Sabbath smile.gif

All the time I hear Christians saying "Let us believe what we want, we don't harm anyone". No, the women that are forced to deliver their babies when they've been raped are not harmed - They just whine. The people suffering from e.g. Alzheimer are not harmed by Christians not allowing stem-cell research - They just whine.
The African Catholics that are not allowed to use condoms and therefore spread HIV instead are not harmed - They just whine.

Religions affect us in the most harmful ways possible, and needs to be terminated asap.
Pages: [1] 2