xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Stocks Plunge As Investors Ponder Obama Presidency  (Read 274 times)

Reaper527

• Archived User
Stocks Plunge As Investors Ponder Obama Presidency
« on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »

http://news.yahoo.co..._re/wall_street

the title of the article alone is a pretty big "i told you so". they are cutting down their investments now before the tax rate doubles. (capital gains, the tax on investments, is going to go from 15% to over 30% if obama keeps his campaign promises)

NEW YORK – A case of postelection nerves sent Wall Street plunging Wednesday as investors absorbing a stream of bad economic news wondered how a Barack Obama presidency will help the country weather a possibly severe recession. Volatility returned to the market, with the Dow Jones industrials falling nearly 500 points and all the major indexes tumbling more than 5 percent.

gcskate27

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 04:33:00 PM »

its not as though they've fallen any more than they have been fluctuating, and to put this solely on the obama victory is ridiculous and shortsighted...  rolleyes.gif

and sweet fucking christ do i hate to hear people talk about experience; the only time you don't hear it mentioned is with an incumbent... and as anyone who has applied for any kind of skilled job knows: its impossible to get experience if that one of the hiring factors and it certainly doesn't replace ability and drive... rolleyes.gif

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »

the name of the article is:

Stocks plunge anew as recession worries resurface

We are headed into a recession either way.....

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Nov 5 2008, 08:02 PM) View Post

It is the title from Matt Drudge ('OBAMA ANXIETY') not the real title that Reaper is alluding to.

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Nov 5 2008, 07:11 PM) View Post

It is the title from Matt Drudge

Oh so this is what Coulter, Hannity, O'reilly etc., are gonna start with now. LOL.

Now the recession we were already headed into is Obama's fault. Of course if we had elected the McCain this wouldn't have happened anyway? PLEASE.....

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Nov 5 2008, 08:02 PM) View Post

actually, the title changed. i don't know if i have the window open at my office still (if i do, i'll take a pic tomorrow), but the title i used here was a c/p of the original title on that article.

k's, drudge probably c/p'ed the original headline right when it was posted

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Nov 5 2008, 08:55 PM) View Post
actually, the title changed. i don't know if i have the window open at my office still (if i do, i'll take a pic tomorrow), but the title i used here was a c/p of the original title on that article.

k's, drudge probably c/p'ed the original headline right when it was posted

You're right. Check Google for the title. There are a lot of references to it.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:15:00 PM »

http://biz.yahoo.com...all_street.html
Wall Street plunged for a second day, triggered by computer gear maker Cisco Systems warning of slumping demand and retailers reporting weak sales for October. Concerns about widespread economic weakness sent the major stock indexes down more than 4 percent Thursday, including the Dow Jones industrial average, which tumbled more than 425 points.

I forgot to say earlier that the title was a slap in the face, because Obama hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. Blaming this on him is absolutely ridiculous.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Nov 6 2008, 05:51 PM) View Post

http://biz.yahoo.com...all_street.html

I forgot to say earlier that the title was a slap in the face, because Obama hasn't had a chance to do anything yet. Blaming this on him is absolutely ridiculous.

partially true

More selling by the funds is expected to weigh on the market ahead of a Nov. 15 cutoff for shareholders to notify fund managers of their intent to cash out investments before year-end.

his promise of raising capital gains from 15% to 40% is spurring people to sell before they will get caught in the net of the tax increase. this has been predicted for months.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Nov 6 2008, 06:20 PM) View Post

partially true
his promise of raising capital gains from 15% to 40% is spurring people to sell before they will get caught in the net of the tax increase. this has been predicted for months.

I can see that.