xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid  (Read 1002 times)

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
Federal Agents Go After Gaming Pirates: Several US Modchip Stores Raid
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(pirichios @ Aug 1 2007, 05:39 PM) View Post

wow these are some interesting times, i wonder what hsdemonz has to say about this.His opinions on subject matters like these always interest me

I'm waiting for a more finalized list of downed shops before I comment fully. All I can say is that I'm not shocked.. but at the same time my heart goes out to some of those shops. While I don't agree with the US laws, and specifically the DCMA, it is the law in that country.

It's always been risky for US shops while working and operating a shop under that piece of legislation.

Guess if nothing else I've found a new topic to consider and write about on the blog.

What a shitty week so far.

wantin2mod

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »

Oh, crap. So much for my newfound hobby.

Everything that has a beginning has an end.    sad.gif

SueMiBlitch

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »

this is crap... if my xbox wasn't modded and i didn't have XBMC on it i would have stopped using it ages ago, other than for the occasional halo

allowing people to run homebrew on consoles has made my xbox probably my favorite entertainment item short of my guitar

homebrew lets people spend time tapping their creative juices and expands the capabilites of consoles far beyong anything that companies can create... this should not be illegal

i have no sympathy for people who get busted for installing chips and throwing in copied games... these people deserve to get caught and shut down

the US government needs to stop paying attention to the special interest groups that lobby for these though laws and examine it themselves and make the appropriate changes. XS is a perfect example of illustrating how deep the homebrew community is and that most people aren't pro-distribution of copyrighted software

SkiDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »

My friend (who lives in Michigan) ordered the modchip I recommended him (at http://www.divineo.c...b-duox2cr.html) more than a week ago. He still has not received it in the mail, although it supposedly shipped. I was wondering if this could have anything to do with why he still has not received the chip.

biscoito

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »

this site was working yesterday, I guess this guy was one of the raided ones or maybe he got scared http://norcalmods.com/

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 05:42:00 PM »

its sad, it was so convenient ordering from otb and mcm now I might have to buy from divineo sad.gif

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »

I bet most of the agents who took part in the raids have at least one copied DVD/CD/game in their home happy.gif I wonder how they feel busting someone for a crime they too have commited and not been punished for.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(C o s m o @ Aug 1 2007, 04:35 PM) View Post

Given the circumstances, please don't ask for personal identities.

Probably not wise to be blurting out webshop names here either. This is a public thread that can be seen by ANYONE.

prplehz

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »

Don't go hiding your consoles.  This doesn't mean they are going to come after you now too.  That requires way to much bs for them on their end to even bother with.  They are only going to even bother with the big guys.  But I do agree it is bs unless they were selling pirated games as well. Then they got what they deserved.

fantom_kode

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 06:25:00 PM »

wow.  I think the US is actually trying to get rid of me.  I've been building a rather lengthy list of reasons to leave, looks like it just got a lot bigger  dry.gif

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Aug 1 2007, 06:18 PM) View Post

its sad, it was so convenient ordering from otb and mcm now I might have to buy from divineo sad.gif

I echo that.

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2007, 07:51:00 PM »

i better hide my BETA Gentoo LiveCD!

pretty sad actually that it comes down to this.

Take all the people making money of pirated software to jail, leave the honest business people alone.

I'm assuming they pay taxes on their business, with legitimate products, which also get taxed, and they get infiltrated?

lame.

fierygt

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »

Whew...good to know murderers, pedophiles, drug dealers, corrupt politicians, etc. can all sleep soundly, knowing the feds are using their resources going after the REAL criminals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

This post has been edited by fierygt: Aug 2 2007, 03:12 AM

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »

Oh my God, I see mod chips as tools, dose the Government go to Wal-Mart, Sears, Home Depot and compensated there stock of tools, because we all know we can use those tools to take apart a Door, Break in to a safe, OPEN CONSUMER ELECTRONICS. Whats next raid in to every home in the US looking for pirated music, because we ALL know that not one kid in Junior/Middle/High school owns one song they have (I'm not even going to get started on Collages). Or how about this for the next thing to stop piracy, stopping sales of writable media.

This is all thanks to MICROSOFT.

QUOTE(fierygt @ Aug 1 2007, 10:06 PM) *

Whew...good to know murderers, pedophiles, drug dealers, etc. can all sleep soundly, knowing the feds are using their resources going after the REAL criminals. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Nicely said.

Just a random thought, I hear about this and a Bridge falls in Minneapolis, MN (one of the Targeted City's)

This post has been edited by Neoistheone2000: Aug 2 2007, 03:14 AM

Db53

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

Doesn't this happen like once a year? Seems like they are going after people who are doing a little "more" than installing and selling modchips otherwise they would have nothing to go after them for.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7