xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Game Addiction  (Read 189 times)

_GhOsT_

• Archived User
Video Game Addiction
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »

CHICAGO - The telltale signs are ominous: teens holing up in their rooms, ignoring friends, family, even food and a shower, while grades plummet and belligerence soars. The culprit isn't alcohol or drugs. It's video games, which for certain kids can be as powerfully addictive as heroin, some doctors contend.

link   click me

damam

• Archived User
Video Game Addiction
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »

the article I read said that addiciton experts opposed the absurd idea

click me

vide0bug13

• Archived User
Video Game Addiction
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 06:33:00 AM »

i think i may have had a problem like that,but i stopped playing games for a month and now i play about 5 hrs a week cool.gif

• Archived User
Video Game Addiction
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »

as a physician and member of the AMA, i would agree that obsessive video game playing can cause disruption in a individual's life and tends to exist as a component of behavioral issues - not a distinct mental disease by itself.  i would be surprised if this would truly get classification as a mental disorder and placed in the DSM V to be released in 2011 or 2012.

(more on the DSM http://en.wikipedia....ental_Disorders)

the classification would allow diagnosis and treatment for this problem to be covered by health insurance more directly, but i would suggest that one could still get coverage by grouping video game playing as symptoms manifested through another behavioral or personality disorder.

that online gamers anonymous web page did look interesting.

http://www.olganonboard.org/

as with anything in life - one must be careful to practice moderation...