xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: (Australia) Modchippers Under Fire with New Law  (Read 622 times)

Tony42077

• Archived User
(Australia) Modchippers Under Fire with New Law
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 05:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(gasclown @ Sep 14 2006, 10:48 PM) View Post

you'd care if we decided to stop winning your wars for ya....

You're kidding right? Just because you were a small part of the multi-national force, don't go go thinking that you won anything for us because we put you on the front lines. Kind of like "Operation: Get behind the Darkies". And don't go blaming the U.S. for making it harder for Aussies to pirate copyrighted material. Whether you want to believe it or not, (in my opinion) a large portion of the modding community is in it just because they don't want to pay for games... this is illegal. In order to get favorable terms in the trade agreement, the AUS gov't agreed to enforce the anti-piracy laws. The problem is that they agreed to go word-for-word of the agreement in order to get the rest of the deals. The fact is that the U.S. sells more entertainment goods to AUS than vice-versa. If you want our copy-righted material then you must enforce our laws.

In terms of what this law could really do to you, think about it with my bad analogy. Think about a system modder as a kind bud grower/distributer. With a little research we could all be modder/growers, but most people are too lazy to do it themselves. When everyone hears of the modder/grower, they all want some. It's up to the smart modder/grower to distribute his services to the people he knows will not get him busted. Don't sell that bag/modded systems to that cops kid that lives down the street.

With a little knowledge/common sense every smart person will be fine...  and who cares about the dumb people anyway?

(edit)oh yeah, the democrats

LordCrass

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

AUSFTA? A Free Trade agreement with the United States of America?? If it's not too late, beg, plead, bargain, coerce, bribe, or threaten your government to NOT go into a "free trade" agreement with the U.S.

Every country that negotiated "free trade" with America has gotten screwed. Royally. And I'm not just referred to the stupid little things like this modchip stuff. We're talking epic-sized backstabbings that result in entire industries suffering and problems for the entire population. The US does not play by the rules that are laid out by free trade.

Check out this link for some more info: Free Trade When Convenient

littlestevie360

• Archived User

Tony42077

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(LordCrass @ Sep 15 2006, 02:05 AM) View Post

AUSFTA? A Free Trade agreement with the United States of America?? If it's not too late, beg, plead, bargain, coerce, bribe, or threaten your government to NOT go into a "free trade" agreement with the U.S.

Every country that negotiated "free trade" with America has gotten screwed. Royally. And I'm not just referred to the stupid little things like this modchip stuff. We're talking epic-sized backstabbings that result in entire industries suffering and problems for the entire population. The US does not play by the rules that are laid out by free trade.

Check out this link for some more info: Free Trade When Convenient

You made up a new account for that load of BS. Why not use your original account? Afraid someone might read past posts and deem you uninformed? If you Canadians are so worried that you're getting screwed, then sell your lumber to someone else. It's not our fault that a bulk of your economy revolves around logging. We U.S. citizens would rather see a town in canada go bankrupt, before one in the U.S. ever would. A typical greedy businessman would buy the cheaper lumber to make his own profits go higher at the expense of his neighbor losing his job. The U.S. will level the playing field to keep jobs and profits in the U.S. rather than Canada. Your arguments will go a lot further if you quote an actual news site instead of a one-sided political banter website.

Who are you kidding, you don't give a shit about U.S. citizens, the same way we don't give a shit abou you.

OzMick

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 07:42:00 PM »

The Government proposes to introduce the following additional exceptions for:

* access where a TPM damages a product, or where circumvention is necessary to repair a product.

"My DVD drive broke and was no longer under warranty. I needed to obtain an aftermarket drive with a custom firmware to continue using my console."

dokworm

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 07:43:00 PM »

Name a war you guys have won lately, or even in the last 30 years...

Your current one has now killed more Americans than the attack that spawned it did, and it doesn't look like a winning proposition.

TSOPrano

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »

lol? I'm from Canada, and pretty much the only soldiers we have lost in Afghanistan are from the yanks. I actually have nothing against Australia. Also, if you are referring to Iraq, I think that war has come and gone.

Anyhow, wasn't there some ruling a while back where mod chip are ok in Canada? If so anyone got a link.

Caldor

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 08:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Sep 15 2006, 04:28 AM) View Post

Technically, it always has been. XBMC is compiled with XDK and the BIOS to run XBMC contains MS code.

Now, a cromwell BIOS and Linux on your box is legal.

At least in the U.S.A.
Welcome to the forums. biggrin.gif

Really? I would have thought with the DMCA and other anti reverse engineering law in the USA, that putting cromwell onto an XBOX is in fact illegal. You have to reverse engineer the security in the xbox to do so.

thehittmann

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2006, 08:31:00 PM »

Users of modchipped videogame consoles could face fines of up to AU$6600 under new laws being put in place by the Australian Federal Government, a news alert from law firm Minter Ellison says. Those who distribute or offer modchipped devices could face fines of up to AU$60,500 and/or up to five years in jail.

It doesn't say any jail time for modding your own console. But yeap this sucks.

AddNtoX

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2006, 08:36:00 PM »

if the free trade agreement is anything like the NAFTA (north american free trade agreement) it isnt worth the paper its written on.  For me it boils down to a simple question, when you buy a peice of consumor electronics do you own it.  What if tomorrow ford said well we dont want people modifying the engines in our cars to run better because thats not what we intended the car to do.  Pathetic, i own my console i'll do what the fek i like with it and id gladly fight it in court if some lawyer tried to tell me otherwise.

AbRASiON

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(TSOPrano @ Sep 14 2006, 06:15 AM) View Post

Last I checked nobody cared about Australia.

Except for the Australians you fucking dipshit.
Who for reference on population as a % bought more Xboxes than the USA and got more subscribers to live than the USA (based on %)

Also who bought more Xbox 1's than Japan a far bigger market

In conclusion shut the fuck up.

Tony42077

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Caldor @ Sep 15 2006, 03:41 AM) View Post

I find this comment utterly distasteful. It's shameful.

To think, in our valued alliance with the USA, how many of our young men have been killed in action or permanently disabled in action, across not only Vietnam, but Korea, Iraq, Afghanistan.

Your comment is appauling.

Make no mistake of the length, and depth of courage, Australian men and women have gone to in upholding the ideals that together in our alliance we see as important.

.... the sound of an imaginary violin playing... Do you need a tissue? Try and take my comment in the context of what I was responding to. He said that they (AUS) were winning all of our wars for us, inwhich I retorted. I don't know how you can't get so far out joint that you would call my comments distasteful and appauling. Although the U.S. is very thankful for Australia's help in all of the wars and conflicts you stated, I don't think that the AUS forces as a whole changed the outcomes. If you want to get technical the first 2 you stated (Vietnam and Korea) weren't U.S. wars. They were democracy vs. communism wars that every democracy should have joined in. It just always fell on the shoulders of the U.S. to bare the brunt of any serious threat to democracy as we know it.

Was there a draft in France to go to Vietnam?

Odb718

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2006, 06:42:00 AM »

Wehn the 360 first came out, down under was paying an outrageous $90 per title. With the free trade, I'd have to imagine this would be dropping. and Please, please, please, some one say "with the modded 360 dvd drive the price doesn't matter". In the end, it's only going to benifit Australia. (In theory)

BTW who the hell follows the law to the letter? It's virtually impossible.

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2006, 10:24:00 AM »

Eh?!? Tony, dunno why you quoted me and went on some big rant about "blaming the U.S. for making it harder for Aussies to pirate copyrighted material"  I ONLY responded to the "nobody cares bout Australia" line. Which i actually assumed was joke - in poor taste. To which, i replied in kind.

However, my comment was not without basis nor was it simply referring to  recent events. Rather, i was talking  about Australias' involvement in your previous equally ridiculous 'wars'.  Facts and figures to prove my point?... i garantee you wont find them in your american history text books. But that doesnt stop it from being true. American introspection seems a spurious pastime reserved only for your academic intellectuals and revisionist historians.  What a pity (for americans).

The queen is dead. Long live the... err... president?

urizha

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2006, 08:12:00 PM »

For a start I live in Australia.
Just wondering, we actually never use our Xbox for games, it just sits there and runs Media Centre (Dosn't even have any other programs on it except DVDx)

If I removed the DVD drive and just used it as a Media Centre (getting content over the network) still could this be classed as illegal (seeing as tho the drive has been removed and no copy protected games could be run)

Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4