xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Xbox Pirates Plead Guilty  (Read 403 times)

• Archived User
Xbox Pirates Plead Guilty
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 08:32:00 PM »

As incredible as a modded xbox is, everyone here knows that it is illegal to profit from that modification, especially placing illegal copies of xbox games on the box and then selling them.  There are so many ways to make money illegally these days, and regardless of how you feel about the extent of the punishment (fair or too harsh), it is still illegal and they knew it.  Selling the products out of a store-front made them easier to catch.  Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:42:00 PM »

Ya I guess I feel bad for em but seriously, you have to basically not care for your way of life to do
something as assinine as that.

I got a guy in town with a game boutique that wants me to do a Mame setup and then he wants to charge people.  Its a gamersasylum if you've ever been.  So, for a fee (250$), Im supposed to jeapordize my way of life and buttcrack.  NOT!

This post has been edited by Heet: May 11 2006, 03:43 AM

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »

ok.. but you are willing to jeopardize your buttcrack for more money though?

what the going rate? smile.gif

(just goofin' on yah.)

nectar12

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

um i dont feel bad for them at all..its pretty damn funny to me.
lets see.. im gonna open a store and sell pirated software... nothing can go wrong.

emko

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

"If convicted of all five counts in the indictment, Jones, Bryant and Cai each could be sentenced to as much as 17 years in federal prison."

17 years lol thats fucked up i bet real criminals like drug dealers get less then that smile.gif

gehx

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

yeah, that's fucked, but why in hell would you sell modded boxes w/ games on the hdd?  sorry to say brothers, but you had it coming. hell, even I know better than that!

enjoy your stay in the pen....I'll think about you when I listen to Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison.

wacko.gif

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

^ Hehe, nope.  Even if the guy offered me silly cash I wouldnt do it.  I passed it to somebody else and apparently he's gonna do it for him.

I told him not to make friends with any of the guards and pretend you have a flaming case of the AIDS.

This post has been edited by Heet: May 11 2006, 05:22 AM

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 10:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ May 11 2006, 02:43 AM) *

Wow, I feel bad for them.  There life now resides in a 10x10 cell for the next 5 years.  Everyone here is saying there stupid there idiots but the fact remains that just because they sold some illegal stuff that didn't hurt anyone there going to be stripped away from there families for 5 years and also might have to pay money while in jail, making it harder for the families to make a recovery.  I feel bad for them.

-xboxexpert

Hurts game developers who spend so much time making the game then someone gets it for free. Stealing is a crime and to make it worse they stole software and was selling them for profit.

ThaCrip

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 10:35:00 PM »

this guy was just beggin' to be caught!!! how dumb can you get... he was even showing the modified consoles in public and explaining to the customers what advanatges they would get etc etc with the modified consoles... i dont get why they dont learn cause theres been quite a few people who already got busted for this kind of thing fairly recently... so i just dont understand why they would do this.

if he's going to do something like this he needs to keep it on the down low.... not say "im selling modified xbox consoles with 50 illegal games so come and bust me!" lol

appleguru

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(amb7247 @ May 10 2006, 09:40 PM) View Post

the chips themselves aren't illegal to my knowledge. But it's the firmware or software that runs them are. WHich is why it's hard to find the latest versions unless you know of the exact places to download them.

Well, that depends.. In the US anyways, the chips themselves, regardless of what's flashed on them, are a grey area.. Technically, due to section 1201 of the DMCA they're illegal:

QUOTE(DMCA Sec 1201)
(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that -
( A ) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title;
( B ) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or
( C ) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

I never really liked the DMCA anyways though wink.gif

Flagg3

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 11:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(appleguru @ May 11 2006, 12:40 AM) *

Well, that depends.. In the US anyways, the chips themselves, regardless of what's flashed on them, are a grey area.. Technically, due to section 1201 of the DMCA they're illegal:
I never really liked the DMCA anyways though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

You forgot about the Reverse Engineering exception:

2. Reverse engineering (section 1201(f)). This exception permits
circumvention, and the development of technological means for such
circumvention, by a person who has lawfully obtained a right to use a
copy of a computer program for the sole purpose of identifying and
analyzing elements of the program necessary to achieve interoperability
with other programs, to the extent that such acts are permitted under
copyright law.

Modchips in and of themselves are not illegal, because they can be flashed with cromwell to use the Xbox to run Linux.  This is a legitimate use and totally allowed because you are only circumventing the encryption for the purpose of acheiving interoperability with Linux.  It's the very definition of why the exception was put into the DMCA.

Flagg

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 11:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(Flagg3 @ May 10 2006, 10:10 PM) *

You forgot about the Reverse Engineering exception:

2. Reverse engineering (section 1201(f)). This exception permits
circumvention, and the development of technological means for such
circumvention, by a person who has lawfully obtained a right to use a
copy of a computer program for the sole purpose of identifying and
analyzing elements of the program necessary to achieve interoperability
with other programs, to the extent that such acts are permitted under
copyright law.

Modchips in and of themselves are not illegal, because they can be flashed with cromwell to use the Xbox to run Linux.  This is a legitimate use and totally allowed because you are only circumventing the encryption for the purpose of acheiving interoperability with Linux.  It's the very definition of why the exception was put into the DMCA.

Flagg

and to add to yours..
if this was not in-cluded or allowed in the act.

1. Our technology would not for be where it is today..
2. Our technology would never grow

I am sure this part of the act has allowed Gates himself to succeed to where he is today.

They are going to put these guys through the ringer, as they should. How stupid can you be?

This post has been edited by majik655: May 11 2006, 06:32 AM

DaJimmyHat

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 11:44:00 PM »

This guy get 4 years for killing 100 people http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060511/ap_on_.../nightclub_fire

And this guy is gonna get 5 years for selling pirated games??? I agree it was stupid what he did but 5 years???

What the fuck is wrong with our country man?

The Zep Man

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 11:50:00 PM »

The lesson of the day:

Become a hit man, not somebody who sells illegal games. You'll get more money for the job and there are less risks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

[edit]
For the people with an IQ lower than their shoe size... that was sarcasm. Don't become a hit man at all.

This post has been edited by The Zep Man: May 11 2006, 06:51 AM

run088

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 12:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(majik655 @ May 11 2006, 01:32 AM) View Post

and to add to yours..
if this was not in-cluded or allowed in the act.

1. Our technology would not for be where it is today..
2. Our technology would never grow

I am sure this part of the act has allowed Gates himself to succeed to where he is today.

They are going to put these guys through the ringer, as they should. How stupid can you be?

i would just like to shed some light on this story that you all probly dont know anything about i am a newbie and i am sure there is all kind of things you all can tell me that i dont know about xbox but this is one subject i know a little about due to the fact i spent 6 years in federal prison first off pay attention to what was said a maximum of 5 years that is just some shit they put in the papers to make shit sound bad it is rare in federal court to get the max because it is not for the judge to decide he is bound by law to sentence them  in their guide line range and cannot give the max . 2 fed prison is also refered to as club fed the only people that go there are drug dealers , bank robbers, or white collar crimes [frauds,embezelars] so nobody ever gets raped plus there are so many gays in there nobody would have to rape anybody . 3 the feds have 5 different custody levels 1 is camp where the guys from this story would go if they do go to prison and that joint dont even have a fence around it just a line on the ground that they are told not to cross there is nothing holding you back but your own free will you could walk off anytime you want but when you get caught you will be put in a worse place you are also fed good it is not to uncommen to get served steak once you get use to jacking off that shit is nothing ! there is almost never any time you are locked in a cell i been been as high as level 3 of 5 custody levels and never got put in lockdown besides when i got into trouble dont get me wrong prison is not sweet it sucks to not be able to do what you want to do when you want to do it but it is not that bad either  but these guys will most likely ever go to prison if they do i would say a year max but probly not they will get a fine and some probation .  how much money did they make? the end may have very well justified the means if it was a lot . i was once in jail with a guy who stole 10 million from the company he worked for and only got 3 years served  two after good time and he kepted the money call me stupid but i would trade 2 years to be set for the rest of my life
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4