xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: National Id Cards  (Read 111 times)

-XboX-Abuser-

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« on: May 26, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »

high tech version of....

You Papers Please... Your Papers....

-XBA

damam

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »

cool.gif

SNMNMNM!

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 10:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(damam @ May 26 2005, 10:29 PM)
The only way i can think of that this would prevent identity theft would be to have a biometric scanner and  the IDCard be required for all none cash purchases.  Or some other variation on a two factor authentication.    I dont know the details of the plan, but that seems ludicrously expensive for a nation wide plan. 

damam

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 09:47:00 AM »

wink.gif

The unProfessional

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:20:00 AM »

The biometrics that're coming on laptops and flash drives are very cheap, and extremely cheesy.  I've worked with fingerprint biometrics on a few projects and if the hardware/software are up to par, it's pretty solid.  But there's no way it could be done on a nationwide level with our budget the way it is, despite the technology itself being cheap to make.

A national ID card doesn't bother me too much... at first.  The information I have to include on my tax forms is more of a privacy infringement than the ID card would be.  The problem is if use of the ID card "calls home".  I worry mostly about the marketing possibilities.

Arvarden

• Archived User
National Id Cards
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 11:16:00 AM »

It was a good read but unfortunatly I do not trust sites such as rense, prisonplanet etc

The British government has already stated that a whopping 80% of joe public agree to the ID card scheme yet when I check out news sites etc the fugure in various polls is the complete opposite.