xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 1 Down, Two Left...  (Read 304 times)

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2004, 02:57:00 PM »

I forgot that we'd be better off staying as 13 colonies fearing attack from Native Americans(how can you be native to a country that was founded till the "white man" came? But that's a different discussion.)

Are you disputing that Native Americans weren't here until "the white man" came?

The Spanish American War had nothing to do with the 13 colonies.

The Louisiana purchase was hardly an act of Imperialism anyway, neither was the Gadsden purchase, the War with Mexico was.

thomes08

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2004, 03:53:00 PM »

QUOTE (Maximumbeing @ Sep 23 2004, 11:00 PM)

Are you disputing that Native Americans weren't here until "the white man" came?

The Spanish American War had nothing to do with the 13 colonies.

The Louisiana purchase was hardly an act of Imperialism anyway, neither was the Gadsden purchase, the War with Mexico was.

yeah i'm confused your sentence didn't make sense.  Are you saying the white men were here before the natives?

thomes08

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2004, 04:50:00 PM »

"Are you arguing that Native Americans were not here before the white men"

I guess that's clearer, my point was:

Do you actually believe white people were here before the Natives were?

Baner

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2004, 11:28:00 AM »

how can you be native to a country that was founded till the "white man" came? But that's a different discussion.

I was trying to say that they get in a huge hessy fit because we call them indians, but for some reason they're alright being called native americans, where both words came from the "white man". In no way did I think that they weren't here before we were.
I also don't think that what we did to them was right, but if I remember right, it was Britian that colonized the Americas, and the colonists we're protecting themselves from indians from the start. Not saying thats why we went on a continent conquest. This has been taken way out of context that it's not even close to being what I said.
I use "white man" as a synonym for any european or foriegner to this continent.

tiny fraction the US resides in

tiny fraction being a third? Like I said above, America wasn't aMerica before the "White man" came.

America wasn't the only country who legalized slaves. I know we treated them wrong, but it wasn't thought as being inhumane at the time.

Many countries in the world now are creating and stock pileing Nukes. Many people don't think it's right, but countries still do it. Things like this have happened many times over history...
but they were here first making them the natives.

So why don't we call the that, the "Natives"
(You guys do know that I'm complaining about the name, and not the people or what we/they did)

After they're done fighting the people they feel are occupying their country, how well do you think that new US-appointed government will fair?

Hate to say it, but only time will tell. If the official can pass up bribes and threats, then I think Iraq has a fighting chance against the insurgents. It really depends on what the higher officials do...

yes, I do.

Then why do people like you care more about a couple fo nude muslims, than the civilians getting their heads chopped off for trying to rebuild a city.

The Spanish American War

The Spanish American War officially began when Spain declared war on the U.S
Source
When are you guys gonna see that times change. America has changed, just because we've had wars in the past, doesn't mean anything we do in the future is going to be automatically linked to them. It's like saying that since Bush sent troops to the middle east, Kerry will do the same if he becomes president.
I'll bet you a million dollars, that no one that was in office during the spanish american war, the nuking of japan, ww1, or the invasion of mexico are still in office. But for some reason, it all relates to what's happening in the middle east.

Tell me if I missed anything.

Oh BTW,
Apology accepted.

Great way to dodge that comment.

Baner

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2004, 02:38:00 PM »

They aren't from India, why should they be called Indians?
When a native american is speaking english, why wouldn't they use the english words native american (as to be native to the americas)??

Because they are native to the americas specifically... You really don't get this concept do you..

I get it yes, that's what I don't like tho, it makes no sense. They don't like to be called Indians becuase it was given to them by the "white man" yet they don't mind being called native americans, also given to them by the "white man". Like I said before, this discussion is for a different time and place.

Okay, you look at this map and tell me again that the US is one third of America.

1/3, 1/5, either way it's more than a small fraction, and also a stupid think to be argueing about.

Not only does this not at all justify US slavery (??), your analogy is horrible. It's only the use of nukes that is considered inhumane, not the storage.

So why do many nations get all pissy when other countries receive nukes? I never said it was inhumane, just not right. But, seeing from your previous posts in this fopic, you like putting words in peoples mouths.

Doesn't matter much at all what the higher officials do (they're more or less under control), it's a matter of how many people support them.

Yup, you're right. Even if the government crumbles onto itself, the country will be fine if the people support it. Let the government turn blind-eyes to the terrorist organizations and take bribes from Saddam followers. I doesn't matter! The people still love you!

Did you even look at the link?

Nope. tongue.gif

threatening to use military force.

The Spanish American War officially began when Spain declared war on the U.S
Source

They declared war on us... yet it was still our fault?

Our government and society don't just start over every 4-8 years. If you refuse to learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it. If you can't read a history book, you're destined to become the 43rd president of the united states.

Again, putting words in my mouth. I never said ignore history, I said that things that previous generations do, doesn't play directly with what present generations are doing. You can't say America is attacking Iraq because America attack Mexico some 100+ years ago.

the country's still wartorn, which isn't a good sign of overwhelming support

So because the country is at war, people don't have much support for their country?

gcskate27

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

I get it yes, that's what I don't like tho, it makes no sense. They don't like to be called Indians becuase it was given to them by the "white man" yet they don't mind being called native americans, also given to them by the "white man". Like I said before, this discussion is for a different time and place.

native american is a more accurate term for a broad range of people... as stated, they arent from india so why call them indians? since there was no country then they cant be called some variation of the country name so native american is the most accurate... the most accurate way would be to call them by ther tribe's name...

its comparable to calling someone from pananma a south american... they wouldnt be nearly as pissed as if you falsely called them indian and totally mistook their heritage...

its an accurate, non-offensive, broad sweeping term... has nothing to do with the fact that 'the whiteman gave it to them'...

im not going to argue the point anymore after this though...  wink.gif

thomes08

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2004, 05:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Sep 24 2004, 11:45 PM)
native american is a more accurate term for a broad range of people... as stated, they arent from india so why call them indians? since there was no country then they cant be called some variation of the country name so native american is the most accurate... the most accurate way would be to call them by ther tribe's name...

its comparable to calling someone from pananma a south american... they wouldnt be nearly as pissed as if you falsely called them indian and totally mistook their heritage...

its an accurate, non-offensive, broad sweeping term... has nothing to do with the fact that 'the whiteman gave it to them'...

im not going to argue the point anymore after this though...  wink.gif

good idea, you can't argue ingnorance

Maximumbeing

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »

We gave Spain a mandate, declaring 3 things.

Spain immediately complied with 2 of the things.
We told them to immediately withdraw from Cuba, they said they needed 2 weeks to get it passed through their legislation.

We refused these terms and threatened with military force.

gronne

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

huh.gif

Sweden still suffer from radioactive fall-out from the Chernobyl accident in 1986. And Ukraine is about 1,000 km from Sweden, yet we still suffer from it. If Mexico started a war with Sweden and we decided to us nuclear weapons on them, USA would be pissed of a us, because it'd affect USA very negatively. Yet you still think nuclear weapons should be used, because you've paid for it huh.gif  You're the most immoral person I've spoken with.

gcskate27

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

wink.gif

zboy2004

• Archived User
1 Down, Two Left...
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2004, 02:19:00 PM »

wolves may room a sheperds door , but he is armed with gloks an more
Pages: 1 2 [3]