xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Its A Good Day , We Now Begin British Pull Out  (Read 189 times)

nemt

• Archived User
Its A Good Day , We Now Begin British Pull Out
« on: July 14, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (Tony Blair)
"I cannot honestly say I believe getting rid of Saddam was a mistake at all. Iraq, the region, the wider world is a better and safer place without Saddam."

I must've missed the part about the US/British alliance being broken?  Or was that wishful thinking?

...and believe me, I have no love for Tony Blair, but at least get your facts straight when you're going to criticize him.

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:40:00 PM »

at least nemt cited where he got his source from this time

nemt

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 06:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (CaTcHa @ Jul 14 2004, 05:50 PM)
Then what the F*ck news are you watching/reading the FULL speach is on BBC24 now and he has not once mentioned the phrase you have there!!!

I must've looked it up with the other BBC.  My bad.

Also: what's a speach?

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »

QUOTE (CaTcHa @ Jul 14 2004, 04:17 PM)
Its a good day today and America will soon loose all its Allies

There is no reason to think the US will lose all of it's allies.. nor to think that the UK will cut it's ties to the US. (this administration or the next) Blair (who cannot blame Bush or the US.. as he made a decision for himself, and his country to get involved in the war) admitted his mistakes.. and Bush has done the same with some of his own.

Countries with ties to the US do not so easily cut those ties.. as economies and policies are so intertwined.

Do I expect some people to rethink their political or strategic or finanicial/econimc alliances with thew US.. sure. That doesn't mean this is the start of teh world turning it's back on the US.

The US position of power in the world still really hasn't changed despite getting a black eye.

It's extremely premature to take Blair's coments..  (maybe his swansong?) and twist and turn them into your own political wishes for the world.

mirx999

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 09:33:00 PM »

for whatever reason, I STILL don't think Bush is gonna be voted out in november.

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (mirx999 @ Jul 15 2004, 06:33 AM)
for whatever reason, I STILL don't think Bush is gonna be voted out in november.

i get that feeling a lot too.... fucking keeps me up at night.  Hope it's just false worrying

thomes08

Colonel32

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2004, 12:33:00 AM »

Sorry CaTchA, to keep on topic I saw parts of this Blair speech and to me it looked like it was more about the Labour party and less about Iraq or the USA. I thought he was trying to distance himself from a mistake for the good of the party and hopefully deflect some criticism in the future...  

HSDEMONZ

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2004, 12:36:00 AM »

Rest assured.. I make plenty of typoes.. and when you see teh in my replies.. it's totally by accident and not becuase I'm a 13 year old 37337 or something troll. smile.gif

People who use Teh suxors. smile.gif

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »

Sorry Catcha and I dont belive im going to type this, but...  I agree with Nemt on this one. And im even going to have to give Bush his due. TB was offered a way out of going to war on several occasions. When we were marching and there was mass protests, Bush offered Blair the chance to not join the "coallition of the willing", because of all the pressure he was under. He said something like he would rather keep us as an ally than us go to war and risk Tony Blair being kicked out of power (it was touch and go for a while). We can not blame America for us going to war.
And come on people if you pick on peoples spelling its taking away from what else you wrote.

As much as I would love our troops to pull out I cant see this admission leading to that. Blair will play the best interest of the civillians card.

And I cant see our ties being severed with America either. I would like to see our government stop being America's bum boy but we both benefit from the relationship.
Hopefully the outcome of this is Tony Blair gets ousted from power and Brown takes over and re-instates Robin Cook to the cabinet.

We need some more British views on this.

thomes08

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2004, 09:02:00 AM »

when is the next election in the UK?  Anyone know where i can DL the bliar speech?

thomes08

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

If Tony Bliar does go, an election will be called almost immediately. Its not law but its tradition and you know what British parliment is like for tradition! I remember trying to follow a vote about the NHS (foundation hosptials) and when the results were called it was eyes to the left x votes and nose to the right y votes. What the fuck has that got to do with anything??? I couldnt tell who had won!
And they wonder why not enough young people are interested in politics.

Robin Cook gained my respect because he never said anything then just quit over Iraq. Claire Short said she would quit then never.  But i still dont think our soldiers will come home instantly.

gronne

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

tongue.gif  It seemed very unserious. They must have fun doing that, acting 19th century or whatever.

ADD: The reason we have left/right-wings all over the world actually comes from before the french revolution broke out. Very simple; the one's pro the upcoming revolution(farmers) stood on the left and the other's on the right side of the building. I'm more or less sure it was like that.

self

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »

QUOTE (CaTcHa @ Jul 16 2004, 04:18 AM)
Elections are a different thing altogether though and the local "Monster Raving Loony Party" member and I kid you not that really is the name of thier political party got about 300 votes yesterday!!! His name was and they have to read it out (take a look at thier website below cause you wont believe this if you are not from UK)  Mr R.U.Serious  of The Monster Raving Looney Party  Has Gained 294 votes    LOL

Bwahaha, thats great! We had a kind of the same thing in Norway when a bunch of stand-up comedians started "The Political Party" in time for our parliament election in 2001, to make fun of how populistic politics can get. Their slogan was "We'll make everything better", and according to their website this is what they stood for:
Good health, little crime, strong economy, culture, environment, technology and education.

They said they would be 100% democratic, so on every issue they would have a poll on their website, and if 70% was against something and 30% was for, they would argue against it 70% of the time, and for it 30%. That way the minority would be heard as well.

When the election day came they actually got 1% of the votes, and came real close to actually getting a seat in the parliament. I heard it scared the hell out of the comedians who definitely didn't wan't that to happen.

Here is their website. (Its in Norwegian though, so its probably pretty useless. Check out the propaganda posters on the left though. Pure gold.)

therebelious1

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »

jester.gif

melon

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2004, 02:56:00 AM »

I would love to see R U serious debating with Howard, that would be plain hilarious. The joke would be lost on Blunkett though.

Lib Dems won a few constituencies where im living in Sheffield. They had been Labour strongholds as well so its quit important. And Respect done pretty well.
Pages: [1] 2