xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Politics & Drugs  (Read 105 times)

_SCaRfaCe

• Archived User
Politics & Drugs
« on: April 14, 2004, 07:52:00 AM »

Hello,

This is a simple yes/no poll on the topic of politics and drugs.  There is some hot debate going on in Canada these days about marijuana for example and whether it should be decriminalized.  This poll is meant for everyone.  I want to know your opinion on whether you think a drug or supplement (ephedrine being a good example) is banned due to political opinion rather than factual sceintific evidence declaring the product hazardous to health.  We all know too much of anything is bad, so then why such a fine line between the banned substances and the legit?  This poll is primary research for a report i'm writing on "politics and drugs" and therefore i appreciate your opinion on the matter.

Thanks,

Sam.

_SCaRfaCe

• Archived User
Politics & Drugs
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 12:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (AgentofEvil @ Apr 14 2004, 09:25 PM)
_SCaRfaCe, I assume you're Canadian? I don't know if this will help much, but you might want to check out Peter McWilliams' book "Ain't Nobody's Business if You Do: The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Country" you can buy it at any bookstore, or read it free (the whole text!) at his website: http://www.mcwilliams.com/. It's a powerful book, very well written and extensive, however it applies mainly to consensual crime issues here in the US, so I don't know if it'll be helpful or not...

One thing he points out in the book is that the pharm-chem companies aren't too keen on Marijuana becoming legal (just imagine what would happen to their bottom line if everyone could grow their own painkillers, etc. at home)

If you're not familiar with Peter McWilliams, you might also check out this page.

Also you should check out the book Buzzed. It was written by some MD's at Duke University, and has straight facts about the drugs people use recreationally.

Finally, you should watch Grass. It's a very interesting documentary about how pot got into the US, and how it became illegal (and, of course, the fight to legalize it.)

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your contribution.  That's some very good info right there.  Anyone else wanna add to this?