xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: You Guys Want To Help Design Me A Hackers Tattoo?  (Read 917 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
You Guys Want To Help Design Me A Hackers Tattoo?
« on: October 22, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »

I don't know if you guys are familiar with the "Hackers Emblem"
IPB Image
information: http://catb.org/hacker-emblem/

It's "the Glider" formation from John Conway's Game of Life, and represents constant evolution and moving forward.
http://www.bitstorm.org/gameoflife/

-----
Now typically the emblem is used by software hackers/linux programmer etc.

I like what the emblem represents, but I consider myself to be more of a hardware hacker, since I work mostly with cars, controllers, AV equipment, arcade machines, etc.

so I came up with this:
IPB Image

it's still the glider and represents what the glider represents but it's different enough to not be completely associated with the official hacker emblem.

--------------

I started using it as my avatar to see if I would get sick of it, and it's really grown on me, I like it a lot.

I'm a little hesitant about using it as a tattoo... I want the tattoo, and I can't think of any other design I'd want as a tattoo but I feel like it's too plane.

I plan on putting it on my chest on my left pec. but I would like some kind of 3 dimensional shading or some other embellishment to make it look like it's not just drawn on me in sharpie or something.

I may just see what the tattoo artist comes up with  but I'd feel more comfortable if I had something I was already happy with before I walked in there.

I plan on getting this done the week after Halloween while I'm out in Las Vegas.

I cam here for help because you guys know better than any other group I hang out what hacking is really about.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »

really, no one sad.gif that's too bad

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »

i wussed out on a tat after i had it designed... how big you looking to get?

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »

about 4"x4" probably

<-- I've been using the design as my AVA on a number of forums

I'm pretty comfortable with the design.

My biggest concern now is making it a little more "organic" such that if/when my skin shifts and changes over time it doesn't look lopsided or something. getting it drawn as-is the lines would need to be and remain perfect straight for it to look good... so I figure if it's a little more stylized (like a tribal or graffiti style) then it will still look good even if the lines move around.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:26:00 PM »

sorry was gone all week, let me give it a shot

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »

If you already didn't get it. How about a 5 x 5, rotated, inverted, and 1 more square filled in to make a 'P'?

* * 0 0 0
* 0 * 0 0
* * 0 0 0
* 0 0 0 0
* 0 0 0 0

tongue.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »

yeah you guys still have a little time, we haven't stopped by the parlor yet, we were planning on waiting until the end of the week because we wont be able to use any hot-tubs once we get them laugh.gif

afte going back and forth I've decided I'm definitely going to get it on my left shoulder-blade... I have a few ideas in my head..

one of them is a 3D "graffiti" version of the square logo without a grid... kind of like a 3D tetris block you'd find used on a game box cover, if that makes any sense.

smile.gif