xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Reviewing Search Engine Results  (Read 555 times)

BARNES11

• Archived User
Reviewing Search Engine Results
« on: February 02, 2020, 11:36:00 PM »

I find it educational to watch others search the Net and then navigate the web sites they find. One of the things I notice among these "average users" is that they really read the title of the pages returned on the searches.

For example, when you search Google for, say, "chicken recipes", Google returns a list of pages with the titles of the pages hyperlinked. My observation is that most people review the list carefully and only click those hyperlinks which have titles that appear relevant to them. In this regard, I'm fairly confident that most experienced searchers do the same too.

Lesson: make sure your pages have an appropriate TITLE tag. The TITLE tag should contain the keywords that you're targeting in the search engines so that people who search for those words will see the relevance of your page and click on the link. The TITLE should also be more than just a string of keywords strung together - it should make sense and sound relevant.

Where the design of a web page is concerned, the KISS principle ("Keep It Simple, Stupid") may actually help Website Design CA to keep their visitor. A cluttered page with too much information tends to confuse visitors, and cause them to think that the information cannot be found on your site.

It doesn't mean that your site has to have the spartan appearance of the Google search engine or thesitewizard.com. It can be decorated with colours and images, etc. But if there is some central information that you want to convey, or product that you want to sell, making it appear prominently on the page helps the average user zero in on what he/she is looking for.