xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Trying To Decide On A New Car  (Read 2195 times)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Trying To Decide On A New Car
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

yeah the FT-86 is the first "new" car I've been excited about since the release of the EVO in 03

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2010, 01:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jan 14 2010, 02:49 AM) View Post

Living in michigan, a rwd car would be fun for awhile then annoying for the remainder of the winter (what seems like 11 months of the year). Thats really where the awd is coming into play, that and being a fan of rally.
Random info:
I got a job working for chrysler, though I am on contract and therefore have no obligation nor intension to buy one. Though today I did find out that the current mitsu lancer and dodge caliber share platforms, my god how could they screw it up so poorly. I found a little gem in one of the lots today that is a "caliber ext" that closely resembles the lancer rather than this piece of crap.
IPB Image

I'm going to ask a few people wtf happened, or what drugs the designers were smoking to end that way.

I only own RWD vehicles and live in a snowy environment. A RWD is more than capable in the snow. My miata as nearly as capable as a 4x4 truck. That said, I won't let it out in the winter as I'm afraid I may have a bit too much "fun" with it.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 06:56:00 AM »

I've never owned a FWD vehicle... I can't stand the torque steer and general "feel" of the car no matter how quick or agile it might be... 100% agree with RWD or AWD even for snow...

it's all about the TIRES...

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »

not that any fwd cars were even in the running, but I have driven some nice ones. mazda3, mazdapseed3 and all 3 focii that I have had have been fun somewhat quick cars. They were good for what they were, but they weren't sports cars by any means.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »

So I started looking at the Rx-8. Pretty decent looking car as far as fun and unique factors go. There is a mazda dealer up the road I might go look at one. It's something I could afford now and maybe sell in a couple years when I have more money and buy something with more power.

Any opinions for or against?

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2010, 06:34:00 AM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Feb 7 2010, 01:59 AM) View Post

So I started looking at the Rx-8. Pretty decent looking car as far as fun and unique factors go. There is a mazda dealer up the road I might go look at one. It's something I could afford now and maybe sell in a couple years when I have more money and buy something with more power.

I like the Mazda. went for a test drive in one before I ended up buying the Audi S3.
I like the way the reaar door sections open to allow easy access to the back. Not much room for reaer seaters in these though but nice driving position. Only passed it over cos the S3 was quicker.
Nice car

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »

I love my mazda cx7, but yes... the torque steer is quite annoying - especially when the turbo kicks in.  they always seem to end up being more economical though.

i made up for the torque steer by getting a motorcycle to compensate.  

/my excuse
//sticking to it!
 smile.gif

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Feb 6 2010, 08:59 PM) View Post

They look great, they sound cool, they're comfortable and their rear wheel drive

I test drove one when I was looking for a replacement to my WRX, I was underwhelmed with the power, though the rotary is a very high rev engine so I'd suspect part of that is due to the fact you have to rev the piss out of them to get into the power band.

Steering felt very "nervous" compared to my WRX as well. Maintenance on a rotary is DIFFERENT than a normal piston engine too so that's something to keep in mind.

I also test drove a 350Z... FWIW the 8 had a stiffer feeling chassis than then the WRX and the 350 was stiffer than the 8, the 8 felt like it had more power than the 350 but the WRX decimated them both. overall steering response and "planted" feeling in the corners was the WRX then the 350 then the 8... even thought he WRX had more flex it felt "lighter" in the corners, it would react strong and appropriately.... by comparison the 8 felt like a go-kart, initial turn in was quick but the car felt very heavy and lumbering after that.

An FD chassis is superior in almost every aspect, though an 8 is obviously much easier to find, I know a few people who own 8s and love them.

I'd take a GD impreza over an 8 personally, but that's me.

no harm in test driving one  happy.gif

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Feb 8 2010, 01:03 PM) View Post

They look great, they sound cool, they're comfortable and their rear wheel drive

I test drove one when I was looking for a replacement to my WRX, I was underwhelmed with the power, though the rotary is a very high rev engine so I'd suspect part of that is due to the fact you have to rev the piss out of them to get into the power band.

Steering felt very "nervous" compared to my WRX as well. Maintenance on a rotary is DIFFERENT than a normal piston engine too so that's something to keep in mind.

I also test drove a 350Z... FWIW the 8 had a stiffer feeling chassis than then the WRX and the 350 was stiffer than the 8, the 8 felt like it had more power than the 350 but the WRX decimated them both. overall steering response and "planted" feeling in the corners was the WRX then the 350 then the 8... even thought he WRX had more flex it felt "lighter" in the corners, it would react strong and appropriately.... by comparison the 8 felt like a go-kart, initial turn in was quick but the car felt very heavy and lumbering after that.

An FD chassis is superior in almost every aspect, though an 8 is obviously much easier to find, I know a few people who own 8s and love them.

I'd take a GD impreza over an 8 personally, but that's me.

no harm in test driving one  happy.gif

my bro has an FD and it is leaking oil and has a boost leak. haha. Those rotaries are bitches. you drive it hard it blows a vacuum hose. they are there for looks. man it's just too high maintenance. you gotta have money to own one. my bro had the engine rebuilt with new apex seals too. paid someone else to do it, and it still has problems. this car caught fre under the hood and burned all the sensors and harnesses. my bro fixed it over course of two and half years. fd parts are expensive as hell. yikes. luckily he bought  the car for 4k only. good luck with rotaries. I hope the rx8 is different.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(deilzfcjk @ Feb 8 2010, 09:36 PM) View Post

my bro has an FD and it is leaking oil and has a boost leak. haha. Those rotaries are bitches. you drive it hard it blows a vacuum hose. they are there for looks. man it's just too high maintenance. you gotta have money to own one. my bro had the engine rebuilt with new apex seals too. paid someone else to do it, and it still has problems. this car caught fre under the hood and burned all the sensors and harnesses. my bro fixed it over course of two and half years. fd parts are expensive as hell. yikes. luckily he bought  the car for 4k only. good luck with rotaries. I hope the rx8 is different.

they are plenty more reliable, I know a couple people that have put over 100k on them with nothing more than regular maintenance and an extra bottle of oil every 3500 miles.

Twisted, I looked at the 350 it looks cool, obviously has some speed, but only having 2 seats is something I couldn't deal with. I don't mind having ungodly uncomfortable back seats, but not having them at all is a problem. After giving up on the new model impreza, I started looking for a GD but its almost impossible to find one around here that hasn't been raped by a ricer, still looking though. I figured I'd give the Rx8 a shot, and it seems after the first couple years it holds its value pretty well to ditch in a couple years for something else.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

when dealing with used cars you've just got to check craigslist daily... there's no way around it.

also try to find a car forum specific to your area... for instance I run 240sxONE.com (240sx owners of New england) and if there is a 240sx for sale anywhere in new england WE know about it.

I'm sure you can find a local Impreza or Subaru club and though that you'll probably find a much higher caliber of car than say craigslist or autotrader.

Before I took ownership of 240sxone I lurked there to find a 240 and I snagged a 1995 with all factory options and 65K original miles, completely unspoiled for $5K... the car was never listed anywhere else.

I can think of a half-dozen listings on the site right now that are BEAUTIFUL examples of a 240 that aren't listed on CL or Autotrader or anywhere else.

a true enthusiast will take care of their car, and they're also the kind of person to seek out a local club of other enthusiasts, and I know at least with the clubs I've been in they'll sell it exclusively to other club members to help make sure the new owner takes care of it.

for the impreza you should check out the obvious national forums:
clubwrx.net
nasioc.com
rs25.com
i-club.com
wrxtuners.com
wrxfanatics.com

IIRC you're in MI right? (or am I thinking of someone else)
a quick google search turned up this: http://www.misubie.com/

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »

ya funny enough I am a member there, was finding info on the Sno*Drift Rally. Ended up missing it anyway, but I'll check its sale portion out

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »

I think I'm going to change my mind again, started looking at next years v6 mustang. I don't think I ever would have considered a v6 mustang but 305hp and 30mpg is quite impressive. My dad should be bringing one home this week or next to see how it feels. The new 5.0 is a little ridiculous at 412hp, I don't know what I would do with all that.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 06:21:00 PM »

Well I am pretty sure I've decided on the 2011 v6 mustang. Just scored some pre-release options lists and its looking pretty solid. Going to use my dad to get A-plan discount but I've heard they already have around 11k ordered so I doubt there will be any other incentives.

If you have anything else that can offer 305hp, 280ft-lbs torque, 31mpg, 6-spd manual, LSD, and all for around 25k please let me know.

Just have to decide what color
(IMG:http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/8/3/2/ag_la09_mustang.JPG)

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »

well considering it's being hailed as the only 300+ hp car in history to have a 30+ MPG fuel economy I'd say that it'd be impossible to find something that would be more power/efficient.

though the 31MPG is only from the Automatic model and the Manual gets slightly lower mileage because the gearing is designed entirely for economy as opposed to performance.

I'd question how much of that 300hp really feels like 300hp with the ratios they're using, if it really does balance performance an economy or if they're just playing a numbers game.

considering the wide disparity between highway and city mileage (12MPG difference) I'd say that at very least 6th gear is useless for anything but low RPM highway cruising. Much like the late 90s early 00 F-bodies that had a 300hp+ V8 with a 6 speed and were able to get in the high 20s for highway mileage.

Not trying to down the new Stang... but they haven't released any real performance numbers beyond the factory estimated power, no 0-60, no 1/4 mile, no skid-pad, and no real world dyno graphs (at least none that I've seen)... just don't buy it till you drive it. wink.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3