xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Old Harddrive Manufacturers Quiz  (Read 1000 times)

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
Old Harddrive Manufacturers Quiz
« on: February 23, 2013, 09:17:00 PM »

What companies had harddrive called Magnetic Data industries?

I remember seeing it at fry's way back in 05-06. I think they are gone now.

thanks.

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 04:34:00 AM »

Magnetic Data Technologies didn't last very long. They were selling reflashed & refurb'd western digital drives.
Their hard drives had a bad reputation and were usually a few bucks less than similar Maxtor drives which had a better track record.

I don't know when the company took a dump. I'm surprised some people remember those hdd's.  blink.gif

Interestingly, their website still exists.  tongue.gif
http://www.mdtglobal...ome/Default.asp

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »

thanks. I thought that was it. I knew I was not imagining it. I had a couple of customers who brought in their xbox1's to me with those harddrives in it.  They looked pretty cheap and generic looking.

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »

think the company is still going..
They seems to still be re furbishing Western digitals but sata drives now. i have seen a 2tb Magnet data drive. "really wd 2tb black re badged" and they are a lot less expensive than the wd equivalent.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Aug 20 2013, 08:17 AM

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

Hmm, I think you're right.
I found a picture of hard drive from a mere 3 years ago so they might still be around.
Funny that they haven't updated their website since 2004 though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wojoxns0ykz89bv/broken%20drive.jpg

This post has been edited by Alex548: Aug 26 2013, 12:36 AM

shambles1980

• Recovered User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »

(IMG:http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4072/mdww.jpg)

thats a 1tb.. (broken)  "dated july 2011 on disk"

But you can find resellers of them "new" but because they are rebadged western digitals. you would find them on ebay listed as MFR refurbished..

they are all basically Western digital caviars.
if you can find the re badged Black versions of the caviar drives they really arent that bad at all. and id recomend them over the official western digital green drives..
but if its a re badged western digital green.. just avoid it like its infected. (as you can see this dead 1tb is a WD green rebadged and not suprisingly dead)

prety eaasy to spot the green from the black though.. 5400 rpm = green, 7200rpm = black. (unless that changed along the years, but i dont think it did)

im not sure if they are broken western digital drives that the company refurbishes. or over stock westen digitals. or simply waranty replacment western digitals.. But they must have some sort of agreement with WD "or be a part of WD that just sells lower cost / refurbished drives without involving the main company name" because i have never seen them use a diferent company's drive. although if the company ONLY refurbished drives and re sold them you would imagine they would refurbish any drive they could get and not limit them selfs to WD drives..
(personaly i think MDT is a subsiduary of WD, that sells drives that didn't fully pass all tests But would work fine any way, and get labled refurbished to offset any liabilaty, and possibly OEM / whole sale only )

they also do 2.5 Sata drives. (again wd) "you can pull those out of HP laptops"
so they do seem to still be around Just keeping low.. and possibly only selling as OEM/Brown box now. Many companys in the uk "pc world and so on". are no longer allowed to sell OEM or Brown box drives directly to consumers. if thats the same in the states that would explain why they seem to have droped off the radar now, but still pop up in HP laptops or pre built computers.

This post has been edited by shambles1980: Aug 26 2013, 03:14 PM

revengeismyfury

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »

yeah I'm pretty sure I got my bro one of those for his computer its a 500gb it still works too. I'm pretty sure its the black version lol.

deilzfcjk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:30:00 AM »

It would explain why HP is putting them in their laptops. Cutting costs is by using less costly parts is genius. Who would think of that? I bet HP is still hurting in the computer side of things. The split of the company will mean I don't know what! But their printer division has to be whats keeping them alive. I don't know about their switches and routers. Their laptops do suck. though.