xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I Need A Broken Zune!  (Read 79 times)

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« on: June 08, 2007, 05:22:00 AM »

Danny

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 05:48:00 AM »

Oh, and this isn't covered under the warranty... it's happened to tons of people, and when they call Microsoft, they just claim that it's not possible without the user damaging it themselves...

One guy even said he set it on his desk, plugged it in and nobody even so much as breathed on it... he came back a little bit later and the screen was cracked and it hadn't even moved or been touched...

Here's a page with a bunch of people who have had it happen to them

This is even on Engadget

It's too bad this amazing product has to have this horrible defect. Minus this defect, the Zune is far superior to the iPod Video at the same price.

Well I've been looking for an excuse to splurge and buy an Archos 604 WiFi...

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:34:00 AM »

This is not a sales forum, nor would this be a permissible item request in the sales forum.
Original post has been editted at OP request.  Please keep this thread within the rules of this forum.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 02:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Arvarden @ Jun 8 2007, 09:15 AM) View Post
If you got your Zune<doubt it> in the UK or live in the UK this type of defect is covered under UK consumer law.  You must return the item to the place of purchase and get a replacement, not a repair or a full refund.  You only return items to MS if you have gone over your 12 month mandatory warranty.
I didn't buy it in the UK. I wish we had that deal here in the US.

My friend bought a Zune at Office Max and paid $30 for a 2 year full warranty, I was there and the guy who sold it to him actually said, "I shouldn't say this, but technically since this cover literally anything, in 1 and a half years if there's a newer version out or something, you could literally throw it at the ground and bring it back and just say you dropped it and it got ran over or something and you'll get the full original paid amount back including tax."

Now I really wish I had bought it at Office Max with the OM warranty lol

hamwbone

• Recovered User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:19:00 AM »

just thought i would peek aorund the web, found one place selling replacemnt screens, for 175$!!    ohmy.gif  rolleyes.gif  thats sick

im not saying be rude to customer service, but did you really try to climb the ladder and break some balls?

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »

This is the cheapest I've found it, $149
Still a freaking rediculous price..

And ya... once I got as high and as far as I could being nice and polite, I started swingin' a sledgehammer breakin' balls all along the way to try to get higher. It only got me so far, until I climbed about as high as I could go...
Microsoft insists that it's not a flaw with the battery and that it is user inflicted damage.
They just don't want to have to have a recall on millions of Zune's for an issue with an overheating and expanding battery that happens in very rare occasions.

The site I linked to above also has a "sell your ipod/zune" deal, where you fill out the info on your item (condition, damage, etc.), and the amount you expect to get, and they'll email you back with a counter offer for how much they'll pay you for it.
I put down what I thought was a reasonable asking price since the parts of the zune (minus the lcd screen) are sold for way more than the price of a brand new zune on their site, so they'd be making a marginal profit.
Waiting to hear back from them...

no0b123

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »

I have been to that place before. They will give you like $30 dollars, no joke.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »

Laaaaaame

throwingks

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »

You don't want to take a chance on eBay, and buy an as-is unit?

xboxbox451

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2007, 09:34:00 PM »

An expanding battery has got to be easy to prove, if that's the actual cause. I would think if these batteries are actually expanding enough to break a screen, then someone should have been able to test to see if its actually expanding that much, and provide proof.

Maybe wrap some masking tape around your battery and mark an overlapped section with a pen, turn it on and see if the tape retracts, which might be indicated by a misaligned pen mark.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(throwingks @ Jun 9 2007, 08:16 PM) View Post
You don't want to take a chance on eBay, and buy an as-is unit?
I don't know... since this seems to be a fairly common issue, I think that any Zune sold "As-Is" on eBay will most likely have a cracked LCD screen, and I'd just end up with two of 'em lol
I suppose worst case scenario, I can hopefully sell the Zune on eBay advertising it with a broken LCD screen.

QUOTE(xboxbox451 @ Jun 9 2007, 09:10 PM) View Post
An expanding battery has got to be easy to prove, if that's the actual cause. I would think if these batteries are actually expanding enough to break a screen, then someone should have been able to test to see if its actually expanding that much, and provide proof.

Maybe wrap some masking tape around your battery and mark an overlapped section with a pen, turn it on and see if the tape retracts, which might be indicated by a misaligned pen mark.
I might try this out.
But I even talked my brother's friend who works for Microsoft and he told me that MS is having a lot of people claiming that their screen cracked when they were just charging it or watching a movie on it for a while. He said that if I was going to buy another one, that I should wait a few months so they can get the issue sorted out with the newer models.

But ya, I'll definitely try to get proof of this... it'll be a week or so though...
I'm up to my head in homework, essays, tests, finals and whatnot for school.

--DANNY--

• Archived User
I Need A Broken Zune!
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 02:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(no0b123 @ Jun 9 2007, 03:42 PM) View Post
I have been to that place before. They will give you like $30 dollars, no joke.
Ya, they just emailed me offering $55...
crazy biznitches
I might have to do it if I can't sell it anywhere else though sad.gif
I guess I could just keep it to use it with the Video output for the dvd screen in my Bronco, but I dunno...
That's what my xbox w/ XBMC is for lol