xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 'nother Potato Gun  (Read 131 times)

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:29:00 PM »

Fits Taco Bell's hot sauce packets (or any small condiment packet) quite nicely.

IPB Image
^^Click to see Higher Rez^^

hamwbone

• Recovered User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »

how is the pressure created? water and alkaseltzer? regular soda?

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:47:00 PM »

Nice. Id recomend making an airchamber than can be pressurized with a bike pump or air compressor or something out of pressure rated piping and a thin sprite bottle cant hold a lot of pressure ( i remember shoving dry ice and water in them and watching them get round and warped before they blew up).  Personally i think using a fueled potato gun is a hoot...but usually brings the police aorund if you dont live out in the boonies ...especially if you're using ether to fire it smile.gif

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(hamwbone @ Sep 27 2006, 09:05 PM) View Post

how is the pressure created? water and alkaseltzer? regular soda?

A bike pump, I have yet to attach the schrader valve into the elbow piece to allow the pump to pressurize it.  But it shall soon be added.  I just built this like an hour ago, the glue is still drying. laugh.gif

Water and alkaseltzer eh... I just might have to make me another one of these, so I can test that idea out..

QUOTE(Unseen Shadow @ Sep 27 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post

Nice. Id recomend making an airchamber than can be pressurized with a bike pump or air compressor or something out of pressure rated piping and a thin sprite bottle cant hold a lot of pressure ( i remember shoving dry ice and water in them and watching them get round and warped before they blew up).  Personally i think using a fueled potato gun is a hoot...but usually brings the police aorund if you dont live out in the boonies ...especially if you're using ether to fire it smile.gif

Sprite (or most any soda bottle for that matter) can hold up to 100psi at minimum.  That is plenty to fire ketchup packets across our cafeteria.  As I said above, the schrader valve has yet to be attached, so I cant pressurize it yet.

You talked about dry ice and water in a soda bottle, and that exploding.  The difference in the two situations is that in mine, the pressure is equalized by opening the valve, expelling anything in the barrel outwards.  The soda bottle exploded because you just left the lid on untill it built up enough pressure. (150-200+ psi)

"Fuel" (propane) can be fun, but a hybrid cannon would be more fun.  In a hybrid, you pressurize the air inside the chamber, then inject the propane.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Sep 27 2006, 10:27 PM) View Post

Sweet.  I'd love to see what that thing unleashed on a crowd of unsuspecting pedestrians would be like pop.gif

Not much.

I could build something with a higher ROF (~6000RPM) and I'm sure that would do more damage.

EDIT: muhaha.gif

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 09:55:00 PM »

Cant edit again.

I plan on making this an over-under cannon (U shape) because I don't like the feel of it being a giant L.

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 02:55:00 PM »

I think you should get a co2 cartridge bikepump and then you are able to repressurize much faster.  I know why my pop bottles with dry ice blew up...that was the idea smile.gif.  Also, using piping allows your to get a much cooler shape to the gun. I have seen them in all different shapes and sizes. Some to shoot tennisballs for the dog to go fetch, others a styrofoam cup sliced on the sides, full of paintballs (so the cup would break apart as it flew out and you would get a buckshot effect with the paintballs). There is so many things you can do. I have seen various kinds of fireworks shot out of them as well (I don't recomend that one).  The basic system is the same, but the possibilities are limitless when you change the barrel size. Again i recomend using piping of a larger diameter for the pressure chamber as it is far easier to mount a valve in that then in a thin plastic sprite bottle.  I have also seen pressure gauges on the gun itself, but some just use a bike tire gauge as they put the air in (also time consuming).

Anywho I just felt like talking about spud guns for some reason.  If anyone wants to hear the story of the time the police came over because of a spud gun ill post it , if not..then i won't waste time and server space.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2006, 03:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(Unseen Shadow @ Sep 28 2006, 04:02 PM) View Post

I think you should get a co2 cartridge bikepump and then you are able to repressurize much faster.

When I have 100 dollars lying around that I don't need too much, I'll go out and get me a CO2 regulator, but untill then I'll stick to an air compressor.

Some to shoot tennisballs for the dog to go fetch, others a styrofoam cup sliced on the sides, full of paintballs (so the cup would break apart as it flew out and you would get a buckshot effect with the paintballs).

I have a golfball cannon, a paintball cannon, a broomstick cannon, a AA battery cannon, a D Cell battery cannon, and now this one.  If something fits in the barrel, I'll shoot it.

Again i recomend using piping of a larger diameter for the pressure chamber as it is far easier to mount a valve in that then in a thin plastic sprite bottle.

Yet again, I'm putting the schrader valve into the PVC elbow, not the sprite bottle.
Sprite bottles hold up to 200psi by the way.  That is plenty since I don't plan on exceeding 50psi with this particular gun.

I have also seen pressure gauges on the gun itself

I put pressure gauges/regulators on all my guns.  

but some just use a bike tire gauge as they put the air in (also time consuming).

What?? uhh.gif

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »

co2 bikepumps arent 200 dollars, and im pretty sure it has some kind of regulator built in , otherwise there would be a lot of bike tire blow outs.

Also what i meant by bike tire gauge, is the thing you stick on the valve and it gives you the psi reading. I meant that it is time consuming because you would pump for a bit, check pressure and repeat instead of having a pressure gauge mounted on the gun so you can constantly see the pressure.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(Unseen Shadow @ Oct 2 2006, 06:42 PM) View Post

co2 bikepumps arent 200 dollars, and im pretty sure it has some kind of regulator built in , otherwise there would be a lot of bike tire blow outs.

What is a CO2 bike pump. This is somewhat like what I use, or an air compressor.
IPB Image

When I get 80 bucks, ill get one of these so I can use CO2:
IPB Image

That's what I was referring to as being somewhat expensive.

Also what i meant by bike tire gauge, is the thing you stick on the valve and it gives you the psi reading. I meant that it is time consuming because you would pump for a bit, check pressure and repeat instead of having a pressure gauge mounted on the gun so you can constantly see the pressure.

I know what a pressure gauge is, something like this:
IPB Image

It just taps in the side of the chamber.

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »

Haha I was not implying you did not know what a pressure gauge looked like. Im talking about the el cheapo ones that look kind of like a pen and attach to the schreader valve.  

The Co2 cartridge bike pump i was talking about looks something like this

http://www.bikemania...ttivo_ap-06.htm

the best kinds are ones that take 12gram co2 cartridges used in paintball guns, However im not sure how much they give out in terms of pressure or volume, as its been years since ived used one, and then it was for inflating bike tires not launching things smile.gif

It sounds as if you've done the air powered launcher R and D for a while , we should put our heads together and make something awesome smile.gif .  Unfortuanatly, most of my ideas usually involve something exploding. I remember when I was about 12 I would take my model rocket engines, and modify them to shoot sparks up out the top instead of launching a burst of high presure gas to deploy the parachute. We would attach the inside of ..airbombs or sonic booms or something like that so that they would light at ~1000 feet in the air instead of the usual 50 . Things going off at that height tend to be loud as theres not much in terms of obstacles to muffle the sound.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 06:37:00 PM »

I just went out and took some pictures of some of my stuff.

Regulator/Pressure gauge that goes between the compressor and my chamber:
IPB Image

Semi Automatic Golfball Barrel (SAGBC):
IPB Image

View down the barrel:
IPB Image

Hopper for SAGBC:
IPB Image

Gun with everything but chamber:
IPB Image

Modded Sprinkler Valve:
IPB Image

Chamber for my paintball gun:
IPB Image

Seven foot long gun:
IPB Image

Seven foot long gun with barrel:
IPB Image

EDIT: Those CO2 bike pumps are really cheap and aren't worth it.  Just use a 12gram adapter and it pressurizes it instantly.

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »

Haha i dont see what the difference is between a 12gram adapter and a pump that uses the 12grams...basically its push button instead of all in one go?  Thats cool the way you have the pressure gauge attached to the compressor line, the ones i saw had the pressure gauge mounted on the gun itself.  By the looks of it you have quite the selection of pvc parts .  I almost want to make a turret with one of those bad boys like you have made attached to it and have it all motorized...if you could get things very constant , close to identical projectiles and same pressure exactly each time , in combination with a chronograph and some good old fashioned physics knowledge im thinking they could actually be fairly accurate . Im just dreamin haha, it would require some advanced programming knowledge and such which i dont have , but im sure by the time im done my engineering program it won't be an issue tongue.gif .  I could probably do something simple like a multi barrel cannon that uses a pic microchip to electronically open a bunch of the sprinkler solenoids in a certain order.  Im also sure you could have air rigged up to each and have them be re-pressurized electronically too smile.gif ..hmmm AA battery gattling gun smile.gif.

Modderxtrordanare

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 07:01:00 PM »

IPB Image

A revolver has been done.

Unseen Shadow

• Archived User
'nother Potato Gun
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

That's just plain nutty ohmy.gif .  I was thinking more like multi barrel as opposed to rotating chamber, but hey im sure between the two of us we can think of something the will blow all else away?
Pages: [1] 2