xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Something's Fishy About That N64 Contest  (Read 376 times)

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Something's Fishy About That N64 Contest
« on: May 12, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

I've read in the new thread that, supposedly, someone has made a N64 Emulator on the XBox that wins goals 1 and 2 (sound and graphics w/out bugs). It's based off of Project64's source (PJ64). However, if you read this thread, you'll find out that an actual coder that's ported a few things say it's (PJ64) impossible, because of RAM constraints.
Now, this leaves us with three different conclusions:
Lantus is lying/mistaken/mislead.
Iriez is lying/mistaken/mislead.
The mysterious coder that gave Iriez the beta is lying/mistaken/mislead.
Look, I know alot of people are going to flame me for this. I know alot of people will think this post is a flame. That's alright; I'm just trying to point something out here. Mods, go ahead and lock this, but please DO NOT delete it. The people deserve to know a few concrete facts.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 12:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 12 2003, 09:03 PM)
I've read in the new thread that, supposedly, someone has made a N64 Emulator on the XBox that wins goals 1 and 2 (sound and graphics w/out bugs). It's based off of Project64's source (PJ64). However, if you read this thread, you'll find out that an actual coder that's ported a few things say it's (PJ64) impossible, because of RAM constraints.
Look, I know alot of people are going to flame me for this. I know alot of people will think this post is a flame. That's alright; I'm just trying to point something out here. Mods, go ahead and lock this, but please DO NOT delete it. The people deserve to know a few concrete facts.

I also noticed this and thought it was fishy, however i believe it is only RECCOMENDED 128mb ram so some games will run with 64mb... i don't think we have another Lunar laugh.gif

sulfur

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »

maybe it was a trick....

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ May 12 2003, 09:12 PM)
QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 12 2003, 09:03 PM)

I also noticed this and thought it was fishy, however i believe it is only RECCOMENDED 128mb ram so some games will run with 64mb... i don't think we have another Lunar laugh.gif

If you read Lantus' thread closer, you'll note that one part of the emulation (the dynamic recompiler) took 50MB of RAM all on its own. That doesn't do sound, graphics, or input... just basic emulation. It'd have to be a miracle to get a graphics core, sound core, input core, and even the smallest ROM in the last 14MB of RAM.

staticFLINT

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 12 2003, 02:14 PM)

If you read Lantus' thread closer, you'll note that one part of the emulation (the dynamic recompiler) took 50MB of RAM all on its own. That doesn't do sound, graphics, or input... just basic emulation. It'd have to be a miracle to get a graphics core, sound core, input core, and even the smallest ROM in the last 14MB of RAM.

this guy seems to be able to get games to run... http://www.geocities...y-SanJose/4851/

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 12:39:00 PM »

Hikaru isn't using PJ64 as the 'codebase', he's using Daedalus. We're talking about PJ64 here, Static, keep up! smile.gif j/k

staticFLINT

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 12:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 12 2003, 02:39 PM)
Hikaru isn't using PJ64 as the 'codebase', he's using Daedalus. We're talking about PJ64 here, Static, keep up! smile.gif j/k

laugh.gif  laugh.gif sorry....

Zero

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 01:30:00 PM »

Just like Lunar?

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 01:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (Nathan561 @ May 12 2003, 10:28 PM)
Why would Iriez lie? He has nothing to gain?

I'm not saying he is, nessesarily. It's a possibility, but you're right, there's nothing for him to gain by lying.
As a sidenote: there was nothing for LunarEclipse to gain from lying; I guess that goes to show that some people do some wierd things for no reason.
As another sidenote, Iriez, if you read this, I'm not insulting you. For all I know, your account's hacked, or some wierd stuff. But it is a little wierd that a porter you've praised before has said that a PJ64 port is undoable with a mere 64MB of RAM, and yet this guy straight from left field got it running.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 03:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mechazilla @ May 13 2003, 12:16 AM)
Iriez is Cyrus's flaming hetersexual lover. jester.gif

Keep it mature in this thread. I'm not going to let someone derail the serious discussion with a flame war as a diversion tactic once again.

guile

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 03:47:00 PM »

I would like to Iriez respond to this thread.
g

Iriez

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »

Yes, they do deserve to know some concrete facts.

Which is exactly why i made that post in the first place.

I didnt have to tell anyone anything. I did you guys a favor by letting you know whats up.

Lantus was mistaken. The coder specifically said to me that he he spent a few days just tweaking on optimization, and ended up getting it to run.

Obviously the coder that gave it to me isnt lying/mistaken/midlead, because i have been beta testing it.

Now, do you really think i would lie to you? Why would i lie? What would motivate it? Nothing. Ive given too much for this scene to go completely backwards on all that i care about, and just start lying about shit.

I thought about this as soon as I read Iriez thread. I also noticed the "Compatible" games list and noticed Banjo Kazooie was
NOT on it. Why the Banjo screenshot and no mention of compatability? Things that make ya go hum......
g

Actually, i missed putting that up. Xantium was trying to get to bed as i posted it, and i wanted the thread locked so no one could start a little flamer thread. I accidently missed the banjo rom on the list (theres a couple thousand entries in the N64 DB...its pretty easy to miss one). I figured people would realize from the screen shot that it is infact compatible, and that i just made a mistake. Xantium went to bed before i could edit it again, and im locked out of it. I had forgotten about it until now. Next time i post news i will update the list and be sure to include that in the compat* list.

that, supposedly, someone has made a N64 Emulator on the XBox that wins goals 1 and 2 (sound and graphics w/out bugs)

I did not say "without any bugs". I specifically said...

Here is a list of compatible roms with the current version. Compatible meaning fully playable with no or very minor issues, with sound/graphics/controls/saves/save state/zip support.

Emulation is not pefect. It never will be perfect. There will always be issues. If you want perfection, go buy the hardware.

SSSSSmokey

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2003, 04:45:00 PM »

Its very nice to see you responding, Iriez.  After I read that I had my doubts about it, but mostly believed it because it was pinned, and no one would pin something fake after Lunar.

It gives me a good feeling to not see things like vurtual memory and c+ in your post!

laugh.gif

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2003, 07:10:00 PM »

Iriez, after the whole Lunar experience, I'd have to say that I'll believe it when I see it. I, personally, in my own opinion, doubt that someone who's doing their first XBox port (as indicated by the lack of handle) got it optimized, when Lantus, an experienced porter on the XBox, worked at it a couple days, said he tried optimizing it, but lowering the amount of RAM the dynamic recompiler used made it ran "like shit" (read his post linked in the begginning of the thread). It doesn't make sense, Iriez. Are you sure he's using PJ64 as the core?
Again, I'm sorry to doubt you, and I understand that you have nothing to gain from lying to us. However, you also have nothing to lose, besides a little integrity.... it's not like people will stop using XBins if this turns into a hoax. Also, I seem to remember LunarEclipse saying something along the lines of "trust me, why would I lie?". When it's released, real, and usable, I'll apoligize, but until then, I'm staying on the side of caution.
EDIT:
Its very nice to see you responding, Iriez. After I read that I had my doubts about it, but mostly believed it because it was pinned, and no one would pin something fake after Lunar.

Something being pinned does not equal legitimacy. It means a mod thought it was important enough to pin.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (gainpresence @ May 13 2003, 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ May 12 2003, 10:10 PM)
Something being pinned does not equal legitimacy. It means a mod thought it was important enough to pin.

You're right, a mod could pin anything.. Lunar's thread was pinned, wasn't it (I don't really remember)?

Lantus said it's "not worth it" to port PJ64, but, maybe for $2250+, it's worth it.  biggrin.gif

BTW: It wasn't a mod that pinned that new thread.. Iriez talked directly to the Man about it, Xantium pinned+closed it  beerchug.gif

Not that that makes it any more real to us.. But it certainly shows that Xantium trusts Iriez.

Should I move this to "Emulators"?

Alright, so Xant pinned+closed it. Xantium is still a human, however, and has the ability to be wrong. I'm hoping he's not, and I'm hoping that this whole contest yields something productive without the boomstick being lowered, but like I said, I'm staying on the side of caution.
You might be right about the Lantus comment.... again, lets hope so. Sorry if I didn't put this in the right forum, but I thought this didn't have much to do with emulation directly, so I opted to post it in General.
Pages: [1] 2