xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Samsung Drives  (Read 269 times)

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2003, 11:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (J.P. Patches @ Feb 21 2003, 07:37 PM)
I hedged my bet and got the Sony...  I made two copies of a DVD...  One +r, one -r.  I've yet to find a player that will only play one of them...  It's either both or none.

tried the +r in a samsung drive?

EvilBoris

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

i work in a games store, and most of the PAl ones i have seen that came with jsrf/segagt or the 4 game bundle have the samsung drive.

jimbob1188

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2003, 02:24:00 PM »

I dont know which will succeed in the long run, but if I would have to guess I would say in the "long run" defenitly +R for the simple fact it's better.  If your buying a DVD burner today for graphics and movies I would get a +R, if your going to be using it for a few movies on your current DVD player but mostly for Xbox backups get a -R.  It seems lately iv'e seen alot more +R drives being sold in stores, and as far as buying the media, im starting to see alot more +R in stores than -R.  Think about it, they are almost the same price and +R is much better, it's alot faster also, opening and closing a DVD burn.  But for JUST xbox backups, defenitly go for a -R, if you have a pioneer A04 than I wouldn't worry anyways, anything you backup on it will play on your Samsung.

gainpresence

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »

My Thomson drive loads +R faster than -R..

Also, + and - are basically the same except for the one nice feature that DVD+RW comes with... DVD+VR!

jimbob1188

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2003, 03:33:00 PM »

There are other features too, like making a backup takes about half as much time on +R.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2003, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (jimbob1188 @ Feb 21 2003, 07:33 PM)
There are other features too, like making a backup takes about half as much time on +R.

????

The Pioneer I have sitting in the system behind me burns 4.7GB DVD-Rs in 15 minutes.

You mean you can burn 4.7GB worth of data in 7.5 minutes?????  blink.gif

Didn't think so.  mad.gif

beefyoxo

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2003, 03:56:00 PM »

blink.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2003, 05:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (jimbob1188 @ Feb 21 2003, 09:30 PM)
Your pioneer may burn 4.78 gigs in 15 mins, but the 1x rate for both of them go's MUCH faster on a +R drive than a -R, and everyone burns at X1 because most of the time that's what the Xbox likes.

54 minutes at 1x on both of the Pioneers I have here.

How long does it take your drive?

digitalman42

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2003, 05:44:00 PM »

I dont know which DVD writer he has but I have the Sony DRU500a and I never burnt anything 4.78 gig on a +R yet, but I know when I made a backup of Splinter Cell it took like 15 mins, and it took about twice as long to put it on a -R, I noticed starting and ending a session is much faster with +R.  Also they seem to read a little faster too, defenitly prefer +R as long as the Xbox DVD player you might have reads it.  I know my tweaked Phillips reads CD's, Dvd-r, and DVD+R, it wouldn't read a memorex -RW I have, but it read the +r memorex fine.

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2003, 07:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (digitalman42 @ Feb 22 2003, 01:44 AM)
I dont know which DVD writer he has but I have the Sony DRU500a and I never burnt anything 4.78 gig on a +R yet, but I know when I made a backup of Splinter Cell it took like 15 mins, and it took about twice as long to put it on a -R, I noticed starting and ending a session is much faster with +R.  Also they seem to read a little faster too, defenitly prefer +R as long as the Xbox DVD player you might have reads it.  I know my tweaked Phillips reads CD's, Dvd-r, and DVD+R, it wouldn't read a memorex -RW I have, but it read the +r memorex fine.

Ok first be completely honest because I am the one that tweaked your philips DVD.  When you say it reads CDs remember to say it only reads Memorex CDs.  It doesn't read my TDKs.  That's one place where the samsung excells.  It will read any CD or DVD-r you throw at it.  The only format it won't read is that which was in this thread called a "rogue format".

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2003, 07:13:00 PM »

Also (about the above) remember that this same philips will not read some games burnt on Princo DVDs.  So there was a tradeoff to get the ability to read +r and that was the uncertainty that the next DVD you throw in will work.

digitalman42

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »

True it doesn't read TDK's, but it reads memorexes just fine, and that's all I use anyways, my pc cdrom and two of our friends also dont read some tdk's, and you know who's.  Samsung is the best hands down, but I still like my tweaked Phillips, it reads CD's, DVD -R's, and +R's, anyone who called +R Rogue is a idiot although I dont remember anyone saying that.  For the simple fact it's FASTER to create a backup with +R,  most good new DVD players read +R fine also, and what do you expect it's new.

digitalman42

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2003, 07:16:00 PM »

I got a batch of Princos that wouldn't even read on normal DVD players that means there JUNK anyways, my friends couldn't even read those generics in normal dvd players at there house.  Those things are junk, sure your samsung reads them fine, but im not paying $100 to read junk DVD's, especially since I wont be able to read my Memorex +R's then.  Samsung is better, but there defenitly seems to be a tradeoff, and I dont like spending $100 extra to get some good and some better, if im spending that much money it has to be all positives.

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2003, 07:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (digitalman42 @ Feb 22 2003, 03:16 AM)
I got a batch of Princos that wouldn't even read on normal DVD players that means there JUNK anyways, my friends couldn't even read those generics in normal dvd players at there house.  Those things are junk, sure your samsung reads them fine, but im not paying $100 to read junk DVD's, especially since I wont be able to read my Memorex +R's then.  Samsung is better, but there defenitly seems to be a tradeoff, and I dont like spending $100 extra to get some good and some better, if im spending that much money it has to be all positives.

Those new Princos you bought are not junk.  They are Rev 2 so that's what you're gona get in the future if you buy princo.  Are you gona call everything you can't read junk and have to buy more expensive ritecs til they change the formula then buy $3.99 verbatums when Ritecs stop working?  The samsung reads anything important you throw into it that's all that counts.

digitalman42

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2003, 07:21:00 PM »

They are junk, or a bad batch, that's what there called "generics" also they are the cheapest, and if they dont even work on half of the normal dvd players people watch movies on then they are worthless anyways.  My Xbox DVD reads rev 2.0 dvd's fine, I got a crappy batch, I have memorex 2.0 right in front of me and they work flawlessly, so do Verbatim and Riteks, and Riteks are not $3 either with a 50 pack by the way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3