xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Samsung Drives  (Read 270 times)

007jamesbond

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« on: February 21, 2003, 03:15:00 AM »

I got a samsung dvdrom drive, and it works also with platinum cdrs the gold colored ones (even cheaper then the silver colored) beerchug.gif

I`ve also noticed that european xboxes with mfg date: 2002-10-15 often a samsung dvdrom drive have.

Hmm what was your question again?  laugh.gif

007jamesbond

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 04:59:00 AM »

huh well it reads platinum dvd+r aswell for philips dvd+r  dry.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 05:40:00 AM »

Geez... "what's the verdict?"

Well, guilty, of course! Guilty of being the best damn DVD-ROM drive you can have in your Xbox.

If your DVD+R drive cannot burn proper +R discs to work in it, thern you have a retarded burner (shoulda bought a -R drive, anyway)

Mine's played EVERYTHING I've thrown at it.

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 06:32:00 AM »

and if it is a grade, is that going to mean $5/+r disk burns when a pot tweaked phillips can read $0.95 cent +r's?  Just tryin' to get at the facts hereto determine if my Samsung is really worth the keeping. or if +r is really worth the worry.

007jamesbond

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 06:35:00 AM »

conclusion no need to worry, samsung is the best and probably better then your tweaked philips drive

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 06:56:00 AM »

And about the Sony Dru500a drive before anyone says so I know, it does -r too but who'd bother.  You get coasters on half the brands and you have to stick to their list on the -r side and I'm the kind tha buys the discs that are on sale.  So if I bought that drive, I'd be buying it as a +r.

007jamesbond

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »

laugh.gif are you finished?  jester.gif  beerchug.gif

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2003, 09:40:00 AM »

What are you complaining about. A lot of us out here would love to own a Samsung drive (SOME and I do stress SOME) have reported trouble with +R media.  Just use what works.  You can pick up -R media (Ritek or Princo which are about $1 a disc or less) for cheap anyway.  And as for -r discs are concerned staples is currently the one offering the special deal (only a couple of days left) on the cendyne105/Pioneer105 drive and they have DVD-R discs there as well. As for circuit city you need to have your head examined if you are considering buying media from there.  The cheapest media I have seen at a circuit city is a no name DVD-R brand for about $6 a disc (yes this includes prices on both +R and -R discs).  Circuit city while having good deals on a lot of things just plain sucks for DVD recordable media no matter what format it is.  Where are you living where officemax doesn't carry DVD-R media as they are known to have khypermedia for about a $1 a disc (I agree that this media has some trouble) and fujifilm (yeah it's about $4 a disc normally but I picked some up when they had the 10 pack special at officemax for $25 ($2.50 a disc) and these support the 4x burn).  You didn't mention bestbuy in your list of stores as they carry all sorts of media (both formats).  I live in a place that is very much + format biased (something to do with the huge HP plant on the west side of town) and I can still find decent deals on -R format media (available) in town.  Buy your discs off the internet as you will save big $ anyway. Try www.allmediaoutlet.com to get the deal on the Ritek discs that I have listed above.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2003, 09:51:00 AM »

Just to add to my rant, you made the comment that everything seems to be going + right? Well if - is going to die then why did backers like sony and NEC switch from drives that were + format ONLY to dual format (support both + and -) at the end of last year. Bottom line neither format is going anywhere in the near future.  I would like to add that the allmediaoutlet site also has DVD-R Ritek discs that cost a little over $2 each that support the 4x burn if speed is really an issue for you.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2003, 10:09:00 AM »

QUOTE (jesterrace777 @ Feb 21 2003, 01:51 PM)
Just to add to my rant, you made the comment that everything seems to be going + right? Well if - is going to die then why did backers like sony and NEC switch from drives that were + format ONLY to dual format (support both + and -) at the end of last year. Bottom line neither format is going anywhere in the near future.  I would like to add that the allmediaoutlet site also has DVD-R Ritek discs that cost a little over $2 each that support the 4x burn if speed is really an issue for you.

Heh.... yes. -R is growing quite a bit, thanks to the fire sale of Pioneer units through Cendyne and the inexpensive media.

Compatibility better in +R? Depends.... it seems to be an entirely random thing, if a stand alone player supports one, the other or both. I've seen lots of conflicting reports on these. The jury is STILL out on that determination.

As it stands, there is not a SINGLE Xbox or PS2 that doesn't work with DVD-R, the media is dirt cheap, and so are the drives, so why go with +R???

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2003, 10:17:00 AM »

Thanks for your support BenJeremy, from reading quite a few posts on this site and others I have come to the same conclusion.

enigmatl

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

Well I can answer the last part very easily.  Why did Sony and NEC add -?  Well, have you seen the combo DVD/VHS boxes?  They serve the same purpose.  They are transition boxes.The Sony DRU500a or whatever is the same.  But if you buy those units, you might as well buy them for + just because + burns faster on them.  Moreover, they become a coaster machine for any - discs except for a small list of discs which they claim to support whereas the Pioneer a04 I have now handles any - brand.

Now onto the list of stores I mentioned and you mentioned.  You responded to me talking about media but I was talking about burners in my list.  You can't find any - burners at most of these stores and also I don't even know where you can get a pioneer a04 or a05 anymore.  Please don't mention the cendyne as it's junk.  If you go to mysimon, you will find a few - burners but the list seems to be getting smaller while the + and the ± list is getting larger.  And, if the samsung can't read + and some pot tweaked philips can, I don't know if that's so good.  I mean I'm not bias towards - or +.  but I want to go with the brand that wins.  These people that say + sucks - is life (because that's what they have) should go away or provide facts.  Like what sucks so bad about a format that closes discs faster?  What's so "lifelike" about a format that's getting harder and harder to find burners for?

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2003, 10:38:00 AM »

The cendyne sucks huh? You obviously didn't read the part about Cendyne being THE SAME AS THE PIONEER. Cendynes are Cendynes only in the label on the box.  By the way PC world recently ranked DVD burners and the the two top contenders were the Sony Dru500a and The PioneerA05.  The third spot was given to the Toshiba.  Now I might not be the brightest fellow in the world but let me see if I get this straight. 1. Sony Dru500a (supports both + and -) 2. Pioneer A05 (supports - only) 3. Toshiba (supports - only).  Hmm that's 3 votes for - format and only 1 for +.  Both the sony and Pioneer were given a Best to Buy approval from the site.  You really need to do more research before you start going off on how + is so much better. For a compatibility list go to www.vcdhelp.com. True this list is only for playing movies but as it seems that DVD-R seems to have the edge in XBOX and PS2 I thought you would like to see how + and - stood up in stand alone dvd players.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2003, 10:46:00 AM »

I never said "+ sucks" - just saying that in the console world, it's not as compatible, and the jury is still out on which format works best in stand alone players.

I made a conscious decision to buy a DVD-R drive... I could have gone with an HP +R drive, or even waited another month and gotten the Sony just to get the +R capability, but the economic scale just doesn't weigh in favor of +R... not now, and unless the +R consortium steps in, not ever.

People argue the Beta vs. VHS, but in reality, Beta had technical shortcomings too... expense was one of them. The other was time - people wanted enough time on a tape to tape movies, and Beta didn't manage it early enough for consumers, before losing the market.

The +R/-R argument is silly in some ways, because it's still in the air, but if you can't see the momentum and market share -R has built, then you are blind. Pioneer supplied Apple with ALL of their SuperDrives. There will be a SLEW of combo drives out shortly, as well. Combined with cheap -R media, it's easy to figure out the trend here. Cheaper media... more sales... more production.... cheaper media.... more sales.... The writing is one the wall, at least.

J.P. Patches

• Archived User
Samsung Drives
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

I hedged my bet and got the Sony...  I made two copies of a DVD...  One +r, one -r.  I've yet to find a player that will only play one of them...  It's either both or none.
Pages: [1] 2 3