xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Capacitor Fell Off  (Read 142 times)

armickha512

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« on: September 30, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »

The system runs really hot now, I think it is because of the missing capacitor.
Should I send it to microsoft? It hasn't been opened and everythings in place (apart from the capacitor of course) and still has 3 months warrenty.

btw is there any way I can reregister a used console? The console is a xenon from 2005.

Ranger72

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 02:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(armickha512 @ Sep 30 2012, 01:24 PM) View Post

The system runs really hot now, I think it is because of the missing capacitor.
Should I send it to microsoft? It hasn't been opened and everythings in place (apart from the capacitor of course) and still has 3 months warrenty.

btw is there any way I can reregister a used console? The console is a xenon from 2005.

It has been open there for there is no ore warranty. Microsoft wont even touch it.

Try to solder the resister back in place. If not at least remove it so it wont rattle around and end up causing some other sort of short.

vb_encryption_vb

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(armickha512 @ Oct 1 2012, 04:15 PM) View Post

Might as well remove it then, thanks for the reply. It's one of the largest caps in the console but it works anyway so it's probably not a major capacitor.

Really? microsoft won't touch an opened console? better hope my xenon box don't get red ring then (though I was told that xenons have a low failure rate)

Seriously lmao.

Xenons have the highest failure rate as they are the launch model. Anyhow, that sticker you had to remove to well take off a screw, remove the lid and what not. That was the warranty sticker and that's how MS knows it's been tampered with.

relaxxx

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »

FAN MOD!!

Fan modding a slim is as easy as cutting a wire (the blue wire).
Fan modding a fat typically requires soldering, to do it right anyway.

Also, caps don't usually just fall off from a small drop. If I tossed one off a two story rooftop on to concrete I'd be lucky to actually remove a capacitor unless it was a factory defect solder job.

relaxxx

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:57:00 AM »

Replacing the GPU HS with a CPU HS is about the best thing you can do for a fat, even at stock fanspeed, the GPU BGA should never fail. The only other thing to check on a Xenon is make sure the case is not warping the board. With all screws removed, the motherboard corners should all lay down and not want to spring up anywhere.

relaxxx

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

No, don't do that, x-clamps are fine...
bolts are for tools!

relaxxx

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 07:59:00 AM »

I've tried adding small fans before and they really didn't do much. You get a few degrees off if the rear fans are stock but if the rear fans are modded then any extra fans are pointless.

armickha512

• Archived User
Capacitor Fell Off
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:04:00 AM »

Thanks for the reply. I won't add a extra fan then. I'm just going to use it normally until it gets rrod. It was made in 2005 and has never had rrod before. So it probably won't take long until it gets it. I'll then get it reballed and do all the cooling mods (cpu heatsink on gpu etc) after.

Thanks for you help, the 12v mod you suggested has made the console much cooler.