xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Opening Tool  (Read 112 times)

insanity4all

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Opening Tool
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:08:00 AM »

Yes they're different, if it's one piece it's most likely for a phat.  Kinda rectangle shaped.  

For the slim, they're ripping people off.  I purchased one of them from somewhere.  Attempted to follow their tutorial with their like 10 different slim jim type tools.   In the end all I needed was the icepick that came in the slim kit.   All the other pieces where a waste of time and money.

BoNg420

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Opening Tool
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 06:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(insanity4all @ Aug 16 2012, 08:08 AM) View Post

Yes they're different, if it's one piece it's most likely for a phat.  Kinda rectangle shaped.  

For the slim, they're ripping people off.  I purchased one of them from somewhere.  Attempted to follow their tutorial with their like 10 different slim jim type tools.   In the end all I needed was the icepick that came in the slim kit.   All the other pieces where a waste of time and money.

I bought that slim kit you are talking about a while back and I actually use it the way you are supposed to and once you get it down it does work good and you have less chances of breaking any tabs or scratching anything.

boflc

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Opening Tool
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(BoNg420 @ Aug 16 2012, 07:54 AM) View Post

I bought that slim kit you are talking about a while back and I actually use it the way you are supposed to and once you get it down it does work good and you have less chances of breaking any tabs or scratching anything.

i also went in for that, d-x had it on sale for $4-$6 shipped or something like that.

i only use two parts of it -- and the ice pick is only used /sparingly/.  i use the long letter-opener piece and that's it.

for opening the back, though on the "tough" side (power connector): i slide the letter-opener to release the left-of-power-connector tab; i then peel back the warranty sticker, apply opening pressure to the clams (by spreading my hand), and then use a very small flat head screwdriver right under the warranty sticker to pop the troublesome tab.  

using all of the parts.. well, i imagine that it could work, it's just you need to really understand how/where to place them .. frustration got the best of me so i never went back after trying twice.  tbh, even if i knew where to play them, i think my current method would still be faster.

smuddge37

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Opening Tool
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »

dental pick for both works for me.
never scratched or broken one and i have opened thousands of them.

boflc

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Opening Tool
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(avskedsfest2 @ Aug 17 2012, 01:51 AM) View Post

Great feedback

I have an phat Xbox360. I managed to open it with a paper clip, but I thought it might be worth investing a few dollars in the tool to make my life easier...

Thanks

i've also used a paperclip on a pinch, and to be honest it's not that much slower than using the fat opening tool - it's just a little bit more of a struggle.  and.. i actually /like/ the fat opening tool.