xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox Slim Heat  (Read 139 times)

boflc

• Archived User
Xbox Slim Heat
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:49:00 AM »

wow; i would rip it open immediately and check to see if the thermal paste is even remotely in place: i would do not much more than that than return the box to the store.

canyonnehastings

• Archived User
Xbox Slim Heat
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

QUOTE(armickha512 @ Jul 2 2012, 11:33 AM) View Post

Hi, i'm new to these forums.

I recently got a new xbox slim 4gb to replace my rrod elite console. The xbox has the new corona board, but it gets as hot as hell  (the exhaust fan on top gets hot enough to burn my hand) When it gets really hot then red lines occasionally appear on the screen.

Is this normal as my past xboxes (zephyr and falcon elites) never got this hot. if not any advice on how to keep it cool would be appreciated.

Thanks

Well Slims are designed to run hotter than the older phat consoles. But those red lines on your screen are called "artifacts" and that's a whole 'nother issue. If you console is under warranty, or newly purchased, either bring it back to the store you got it from, or send it to Microsoft. You are not going to want to open it because that will void your warranty.

Also keep in mind that the hot air being vented out is a good thing. That means the heatsink and fan are effectively pulling heat from the processor. The increased heat could be from something else like a cold solder joint under the chip (main cause of RROD in phats)(would also explain the artifacts). But this problem shouldn't be overlooked. Do what you can with that warranty.

Good luck

canyonnehastings

• Archived User
Xbox Slim Heat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:47:00 PM »

QUOTE(armickha512 @ Jul 2 2012, 02:40 PM) View Post

Thanks for the replies,

Yes the fan is definately working as it is pulling air in through the side vents and out the top.
I'm on the console now and it isn't too hot at the moment but i expect it to start getting hotter after a while.

The mfr of the console is october 2011, but purchesed in feburary this year. Does my warrenty with microsoft expire in october when made or in febuary next year. Only asking because i'd rather send to microsoft than return yet another xbox to that store.

Like said it could just be the thermal paste but i don't want to void my warrenty so i'll probably send it off for repair.

But it's definately not normal for it to run hotter than my old zephyr right?

Register the box on the Xbox website to see your warranty status.

There's no way for you to tell how "hot" it's running without hacking and running a program to see the temp readings. You can't accurately determine whether or not it is running hotter or cooler than your old Zephyr, but I would say that it running hotter is normal (like I said, slims are made to run hotter).

Of course, every Xbox ever made is predetermined to die eventually. Variables in the manufacturing process could make some die sooner than others, like in your case. You probably just got a bad egg. You should definitely send it off sooner than later.

canyonnehastings

• Archived User
Xbox Slim Heat
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(armickha512 @ Jul 2 2012, 05:10 PM) View Post

Thanks for the advice,

I'll register the console and get it sent in then.

One question, if they replace my console, what happens to the data on my internal memory unit?

Well they aren't going to care much about your data. Get a flash drive and transfer the data to it beforehand.

armickha512

• Archived User
Xbox Slim Heat
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »

Got data backed up and about to send it in tomorrow.

Hopefully i'll get a working replacement, hoping to get another one with that new corona board too ( i don't know if the corona psu works with the trinity motherboard)

Will post when console comes back.