xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: No Power To 360, Possible Capacitor Issue?  (Read 162 times)

Khaine

• Archived User
No Power To 360, Possible Capacitor Issue?
« on: May 04, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »

Alright, so I've been doing some work on one of my boxes in preparation for JTAG'ing it. Specifically, I took the board out, gave the case and fans a good clean and replaced the thermal paste. I also repaired the Samsung drive in the machine, as the belt was filthy.

Now, I got the drive working, did the thermal paste/dusting afterwards. Since then, the console no longer works and I'm not entirely sure why. These are the steps I've taken to try and work out what the problem might be.

1) Tried to power on via RF board, console dead.
2) Tried to power on via eject button, console dead.
3) Tried to power on via controller, console dead.
4) Used the power brick on my 360 Elite console, power brick is fine, testing console booted.
5) Swapped the RF board into my 360 Elite console, RF board is fine, testing console booted.
6) Powered up the testing console using the same wired controller, console booted.

Now, with the power brick plugged into this dead console, the light remains orange. I've checked all the ports for possible shorts, found 1 possible issue and fixed it (yay for electrical tape!). The console is still dead. However, I did notice one of the capacitors might be buggered. Here's a couple of pics of it:

IPB Image

(Capacitor in question is at the front with the arrow pointed at it)

IPB Image

(Overhead shot of the same capacitor, circled it to make it stand out more)

So... could -that- be the little bugger causing me power problems??? Every other capacitor seems to be fine. Oh, and if it matters, this is a Xenon motherboard.

Khaine

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »

Ok, so apparently I posted this in the wrong sub-forum... whoops!

But seriously... no-one has any idea if this little bugger could be causing my power issue? I'd really like to try and save this box if possible... otherwise I'm going to have to sell it as scrap and try to find another.

KILLorBE

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »

Why don't you give it a try? A capacitor isn't that expensive, and they are known to cause problems for computer main-boards.

Did you take everything out of the metal case and test it like that?

Khaine

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(KILLorBE @ May 7 2011, 07:24 PM) View Post

Why don't you give it a try? A capacitor isn't that expensive, and they are known to cause problems for computer main-boards.

Did you take everything out of the metal case and test it like that?

Yup, I did. I remembered an old trick me and dad used to use on a PC many. many years ago when it wouldn't boot up. Damn thing liked to short out a lot... sadly didn't work in this case.

I got the capacitor off the motherboard anyway, which I was hoping would make it RROD on me (don't have the replacements yet), but it's still completely dead.

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 10:51:00 PM »

Assuming you live in the US...just got to radio shack and buy a capacitor that matches or exceeds the value of the one you took out. It will cost about $1. If you're not comfortable soldering, have someone else do it. I can't imagine anyone charging a lot to do such a simple job, the hardest part is opening the Xbox and you've already done that, so it should take all of 15-30 seconds to get replaced.

Khaine

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »

Nah, I live in england.

I actually ordered a replacement capacitor on Thursday... just waiting for it to turn up. smile.gif

brandogg

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »

It's been 6 months dude.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(brandogg @ Sep 30 2011, 05:39 AM) View Post

It's been 6 months dude.

jester.gif  jester.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif Some people are just spamming smile.gif