xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xecuter X360usb And Maximus Lizard  (Read 98 times)

boflc

• Archived User
Xecuter X360usb And Maximus Lizard
« on: March 31, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

I've spent a bit of time with each of these devices; as some of you may know, I'm a Jasper-guy, so all but two drives I've done with these devices have been fat LOs.

I also approach sharing my opinion about products very carefully; people should do their *own* research and consider what is best for them before taking one person's point of view to heart.  Below you will find only my opinions, tho I am attempting to be as objective as I can.

Notes:
  • for the sake of comparison, what I'm calling the "x360usb bundle" includes the probeIII w/cable, which are most likely sold separately.
  • unless you find a retailer with the original pre-order bundle, the lizard bundle currently sold no longer includes the "old" mini-spear, the scorpion now has a case and its grabbers have changed
  • I have flashed at least 10 drives with each device
  • I have had the Lizard for about 5-6 weeks longer than the X360USB, and thus have had more time to shape opinions of it.
Pictures:X360USB Bundle Comments:
  1. approx. U$75+shipping
  2. very tightly integrated into JungleFlasher -- should be considered an extension of JungleFlasher
  3. USB Cable could be longer
  4. Capacitor-less probe is just easy
  5. Shrink/wrap on probe's cable is too rigid (removing small sections helps)
  6. runs a bit warm; case recommended
  7. "it just works" with JungleFlasher
Maximus Lizard Bundle Comments:
  1. approx. U$110+shipping
  2. pairs with Lizard Toolbox (TBX), a program that interfaces with the Lizard and performs all PC-side activities, so no JungleFlasher
  3. comes with Power Drop (my favorite accessory) [edit: it's the power cable with the the small PCB w/power switch and eject button]
  4. grabbers (v1) were trying; v2 should be easier
  5. scorpion/grabbers should be replaced with something like a probeIII & cable
  6. while some users (unarguably) claim feature releases are delayed, Max has continued to push forward in releasing new code/device firmware [i bought the device to play around with it and get my hands on proof of the mpx01 trick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)]
  7. I am intrigued by the prospect of standalone drive flashing and what else the future could hold for the device
Net-Net:
  • both devices work.
  • the X360USB is going to be faster from a number of clicks perspective b/c, in general, everything's done from JungleFlasher.  Lizard usage requires a bounce or two between the device and TBX.
  • if you're a JungleFlasher guy, the X360USB is for you.
  • if you believe that standalone is coming in the future (nothing to say it isn't) and want to mod drives on the fly without a PC, then the Lizard is for you.
  • did I mention that the Power Drop is my favorite accessory? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by boflc: Mar 31 2011, 08:17 PM

boflc

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 03:08:00 PM »

clarifying point, as i've been asked a couple of times:

the above listing does not list all of the features of either device.

i approached this strictly from the perspective of the drives that i have seen and used these devices on: 3@9-series LO, 1@8-series LO, 20+@7-series LO, 1@Hit47, 1@BenQ.

do your own research before making a purchasing decision.

prankster360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »

Which do you prefer, and why?

cypher21

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »

So you've played with both,

Which one do you prefer using a.t.m.?

boflc

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »

note that 90% of the drives i see belong to jtags and do not require any real probing to drop cfw onto them; i've just been using these devices to get a feel with them -- they are both well made.

i do not use either device to their extents.    

also, note [this came up in chan], i use a box in xellous to power the drive while working on it.

i'm torn, frankly; mainly b/c i'm not interesting in advertising for one over the other.  they both work.  

the x360usb is easier to use b/c i'm comfortable with jungleflasher, phatkey works very quickly and cleanly.  

the lizard's bundle seems a little more thought out.  from the box to the power drop to the physical appearance, just seems like that side of things wasn't rushed.  that said, folks have been alienated b/c of three things: 1) batch1 arrived in consumers' hands up to 3 days before scorpion2/mpx01 was enabled in firmware, 2) hitachi writes took a long time to get released and 3) future features were advertised (standalone) with asterisks on the website that said, in effect, not yet but folks misinterpreted that.

i personally will never mod a console outside of within 6' of my PCs, so the standalone, while intriguing, doesn't keep me interested.  having a device, though, that has a screen, upgradable storage and a committed developer behind it, and has demonstrated some amount of success writing code for the device?  that's intriguing.  however, i'm not going to speculate as to what could be done with it.

the last 4 drives that i didn't feel compelled to use the x360usb on, i still used it.

jtag/xellous -> power drop -> probeIII w/cable -> drive -> x360usb -> PC/jungleflasher.  

that said, i'm not selling my lizard.

This post has been edited by boflc: Mar 31 2011, 11:31 PM