xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Instant Rrod  (Read 171 times)

brandogg

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« on: June 21, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »

If it's 0001 (4 lights, 4 lights, 4 lights, 1 light) then you're creating a short somewhere. Is this the error code that you were receiving before you did the x-clamp replacement (I would never call i a fix, because it doesn't fix anything).

bearcreek

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »

Sounds like you got the your screws on your heat sinks too tight, warping the motherboard. Loosen your screws and see if that works. If you had the rrod before the fix, by the way you are describing your code, you have error 0013. I believe that is over heated ram.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »

Propably you made a short that blown a MOSFET. That is a common problem.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »

There are plenty posts about this in these forums. If you can't find them, let me know.

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »

There are components all over the top of the board and bottom of the board. The MOSFETS that probably blew are in front of the CPU(black components with 2 pin legs soldered to board) There are going to be 2 in front of the CPU and one or 2 others next to it that may have gotten blown.

The only way you can repair your console now is to remove the MOSFETS and replace with new ones. The only way to do this is to heat the MOSFET up and pull off the board. You need a BGA Rework machine or Heat gun and then you solder it back to the board.

I would send it to someone who replaces MOSFETS or trash it and move on. If you try to do it yourself and you don't have much experience you will end up spending more time and money on it and won't get very far at all in the progress of getting it to go green.

0001 is a pain in the ass straight up.   tongue.gif

Tander_ZA

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 12:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(rafaelgsbr @ Jun 28 2010, 01:37 AM) View Post

maybe you plugged the dvd drive cable upside down and fried it.

actually a very good point. Doing the above would cause the same symptoms you're having now.

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »

Sorry but this is incorrect. Frying the dvd drive will do nothing but cause the center light to blink-unresponsive dvd drive. It will not have anything to do with 0001(power related-blown components).

richilg1

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »

correct me if im wrong, but isnt it possible that the GPU/CPU heatsink could be just touching other components on the board on boot up, causing the error, rather than blown mosfets? also, @spacecowboy, are you sure you used the correct amount of washers, when doing the fix? if your not sure or even if you did, try loosening the heatsinks a bit and see if the error still occurs. just asking because you dont want to jump to more complicated steps when you dont have to (like relacing mosfets).

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »

Yeah you'r talking about shorting out some caps by over torquing the bolts. I tend to forget not everyone knows that.   tongue.gif

SpaceCowboy_23

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 08:12:00 AM »

QUOTE(richilg1 @ Jun 28 2010, 08:02 PM) View Post

correct me if im wrong, but isnt it possible that the GPU/CPU heatsink could be just touching other components on the board on boot up, causing the error, rather than blown mosfets? also, @spacecowboy, are you sure you used the correct amount of washers, when doing the fix? if your not sure or even if you did, try loosening the heatsinks a bit and see if the error still occurs. just asking because you dont want to jump to more complicated steps when you dont have to (like relacing mosfets).

Yes there were, and loosening the heat sinks was actually the first thing I tried.

And if it helps anyone diagnose the problem: after the heat gun 'fix', the fan and the system ran for a sec more before flashing the RROD. Shoud I try it again or is it a false sense of hope?

I really appreciate all the suggestions with the MOSFETs, but I'd just like to see if the solution is actually simpler before I go on further with the repair procedure.

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »

You know in order to properly test a MOSFET it must be desoldered from the board first?

SpaceCowboy_23

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »

QUOTE(Mistawes @ Jun 29 2010, 07:09 PM) View Post

What colour is the light on your power supply? A friend has the same problem, and his P/S is blinking orange.. Pretty sure I read that that can be a faulty power supply (power brick or whatever you wanna call it). It should be amber in standby, green once you press power and if not (blinking amber/orange) means that your PS is prolly gone. See if you can borrow/buy one and might fix your problem..

I might be corrected on this, but thought I'd put it out there!

It's orange.

SpaceCowboy_23

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mistawes @ Jun 29 2010, 07:09 PM) View Post

What colour is the light on your power supply? A friend has the same problem, and his P/S is blinking orange.. Pretty sure I read that that can be a faulty power supply (power brick or whatever you wanna call it). It should be amber in standby, green once you press power and if not (blinking amber/orange) means that your PS is prolly gone. See if you can borrow/buy one and might fix your problem..

I might be corrected on this, but thought I'd put it out there!

Also, the PSU goes from green to red to orange, where it flashes the RROD.

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »

The psu should not go green,red and orange...

Have you tried using another PSU?  Green is on, Orange is standby and Red is short circuit(psu keeps power from going to console).

Usually if it turns red, it stays red until you unplug the power brick..Your brick may just be bad if it's showing red at all. If it's just RROD issue, it usually goes   orange/green/orange...No red...

nitz0

• Archived User
Instant Rrod
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »

Yeah forgot about caps. You can easily smell them as well.   biggrin.gif