xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Halo 2 Patch Without Xbox Live  (Read 518 times)

rixter110

• Archived User
Halo 2 Patch Without Xbox Live
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

update for many of us especially having problems with hdtv's
AUTO UPDATE

capooth

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:58:00 PM »

Does anyone know if modders will have a chance to grab the halo 2 automatic update without having to go on live? Halo 2 runs very glichy on our college network and halo 1 ran just fine on it. :angry:

$eEnN|i

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 04:20:00 PM »

it only affects xbox live sparky.........anyways something is wrong with ur connection if u are gettin lag with halo 2 becasue halo2 has next to no lag

jesusphreak

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 05:55:00 PM »

QUOTE ($eEnN|i @ Nov 17 2004, 09:17 PM)
it only affects xbox live sparky.........anyways something is wrong with ur connection if u are gettin lag with halo 2 becasue halo2 has next to no lag

I've gotten plenty of lag on halo 2 before. Besides, he said nothing about any connection that would be affected by lag. He's talking about a college network - that Halo 1 ran fine on.

You do realize that the game isn't perfect, correct?

This post has been edited by jesusphreak: Nov 18 2004, 01:56 AM

MJBoa

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »

to get it to banned xbox livers? Like put the updated files for download somewhere? I mean, I really find it annoying.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »

No.

Maybe MS finds it annoying for people to break their rules for Xbox Live.

MJBoa

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:00 PM »

Aren't we all breaking rules? I just am annoyed that Bungie couldn't see such a large bug.

Salvage13

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 08:45:00 PM »

Thanks for the link!  B)

Wullivan

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »

Online play aside, I think the real issue is that there's a bug in the game that only people with Live are being given the fix to. Whereas all owners of Halo 2 should get the fix.

baturkin17

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

and how would you propose they distribute said patch?

they already said putting it onto a disc (xbox magazine disc for example) is not possible.

baturkin17

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 06:02:00 AM »

what do you mean glitchy?

like disconnects?

if so,  the patch wont fix that anyway.

Excitedguy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 06:34:00 AM »

Has anyone ever tried this idea before?

Ok, to get these updates from an Xbox live xbox with halo 2 on it, put in a game like splinter cell, mech assault, or 007 agent under fire and load a hacked save (the hacked saves that are lttools), but to NOT install ude, to just sit on the black screen menu so you have FTP access and grab those files and put them on your computer, then make a setup for modders to put them in the same location and there ya go, no one gets banned because you dont actually install anything illegal, you just temporarily load a hack that is not stored on the drive.

Now tell me, what is so hard about that? Because if people get these updates for Halo 2 from xbox live, THEN THEY HAVE TO BE ON THE HARD DRIVE. So just boot up this hack (the hack will not be stored on the hard drive, don't worry about it), and then FTP, and then get the fricken files and your set.

This post has been edited by Excitedguy: Nov 18 2004, 02:36 PM

hockeyguy

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (baturkin17 @ Nov 18 2004, 03:55 PM)
and how would you propose they distribute said patch?

they already said putting it onto a disc (xbox magazine disc for example) is not possible.

I find it hard to believe that M$ couldnt figure out a way to install it from a disk.

I prefer not to think that M$/Bungie did this intentionally, but it does ensure people get logged into/onto XBL.  I also wonder if they can modify files slightly so tunneling services dont sync up properly with gamers without the same files. <_<

ahh conspiracy theories :lol:

Thraxen

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

What bug is this?  I haven't seen anything.

I find it hard to believe that M$ couldnt figure out a way to install it from a disk.

Of course they could.  I find it rather unbelievable that it matters whether or not the data enters the XBox via the DVD-ROM or the ethernet port.  That is an outright lie, IMO.

This post has been edited by Thraxen: Nov 18 2004, 06:26 PM

GSBS

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »

I'm assuming the info is packed into the E: partition. Unless it is a system recognition change, which is unlikely.

So, assumming we could get the data, what would stop modders (or the use of a CD for that matter) from using the update.

I've seen issues concerning non-Live users getting a hold of the Ninja Gaiden Hurricane pack, for example. Now, setting aside the legal issues concerning the pirating of said updates, what's preventing the use of these? Is the update tied to the EEPROM/HDD Key, such as Live is? Will they just not launch without the numbers matching up?

I'm sure there are quite a few people who can't use Live, but are interested in fixes that Bungie has made since release. The exploit of a universal patch such as this is also something intriguing for Halo 2 hackers.