xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b  (Read 325 times)

Clockface

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« on: February 20, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »

This is brilliant mate, thanks!

sotu

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

Very impressive, indeed.  You've accomplished what many thought would never be done.  Congrats and thanks for helping to keep the scene alive.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 03:55:00 AM »

No $hit?!

The only Atari System I've never played is now on the Box?

I think I'll have to re-teach myself how to add a new program so I can try it out!

Thanks hcf!

hcf

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Feb 22 2013, 08:10 AM) View Post

I think it was less a matter of "could it be done" and more a matter of "is it worth doing" considering that performance was likely to be pretty poor.  I'm probably partially responsible cause I did encourage HCF to do the Jagur despite the possibility that the performance would be poor.

Yes... in fact, in the "Thanks" section I named Madmab and other people who really encouraged and helped me in this adventure. Without their help, Virtual JaguarX would have never seen the light.

As Madmab says, technically, almost everything "can" be ported to Xbox... the problem is that developers have limited time, and obviously sometimes they are not encouraged to begin projects that probably will run bad. For example, we "could" port a Gamecube emulator to Xbox... but after months of work, we will have only (with luck) an emulator which runs at maybe 2 frames per second, painfully slow... so the developers are not encouraged to begin and waste our time on this kind of projects.

The case of Virtual JaguarX was a bit special, because we had doubts about its performance, and also we had the obstacle that the original Virtual Jaguar uses OpenGL (which can still not be ported to Xbox). Then, I had the idea of trying to port a VERY OLD version of Virtual Jaguar (v1.0.5), because this old version didn't use OpenGL and had much lower hardware requirements, and Virtual JaguarX born.

This is the reason why the compatibility list has many roms in red (the emulator is based in an old core, and many roms don't work), but I did the emulator with the encouragement of many people, allways keeping in mind that "anything that we achieved, is better than having nothing!".

As far as the performance, as Madmab says, the Xbox is having a hard time to run all the systems of the Jaguar, and this is the reason why we had to give up on some things... and I chose to give up on the audio quality, as it is one of the most resources-wasting thing. So now we can run several games (many of them at a full or playable speed) at the cost of having bad audio, or even no audio in some of them. But I think that it is worth the effort, to be able to play them in our Xbox.

Besides, I must say that I am very excited with this project, and I feel really happy each time that I see that a new game is playable, so... thanks again to all the people that helped and encouraged me, like Madmab! smile.gif

Also, I keep working on this, so if anyone wants to give me some feedback for future improvements, feel free to do it smile.gif

AlpineX2

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »

amazing

ressurectionx

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(madmab @ Feb 22 2013, 01:10 AM) View Post

Sadly the poor 'ol xbox aint up to it.  But it is nice to see the last "Atari" hold out to make it to our favorite console.  Considering the circumstances that HCF did this port under it's an amazing accomplishment on his part.  That is all I'll say.

Agreed about the last Atari Holdout thing Madmab....

But where there's a will there's a way....

This is a brilliant start (not that I've tried it, but just extrapolating from comments here).  

This puts us "over the hump" for Jaguar emulation on the Box and shows that, at least in some capacity, it can be done.

The REAL trick here is attracting the attention now of that one special person who can "re-wire" circuits here and there and make our Mighty XBox play what everyone else says it can never play.

I've been here long enough to know that the word Impossible doesn't apply here.  

Of course, you're never going to emulate PS3 or the 360 and beyond on the Box, but with the right person or team on it, I'm confident that we could have next to perfect Jaguar emulation on the Box one day.   cool.gif

hcf

• Archived User
Virtual Jaguarx V0.95b
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(cricri_pingouin @ Mar 26 2013, 03:05 PM) View Post

Tried it yesterday and it's great!  biggrin.gif
However, could it be possible to have an option to configure buttons? Playing Pinball Fantasies with the analog thumb is not ideal.

I know that it sounds silly, but the original Pinball Fantasies is played in that way!! (one side with the directional pad, and other side with a button) so we have something similar to the "original" controls in this game  laugh.gif

Anyways, I will see if there is the possibility of adding configurable controls in later versions (if performance is not affected).

Thanks for the feedback!