xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Vga Controller Modding In 2013  (Read 321 times)

gwood1234

• Archived User
Vga Controller Modding In 2013
« on: February 05, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »

UPDATE.

Just realised that I have the Controller S but what I need is the original fat 'Duke' style controller as the chip inside is way too small to solder onto. All the tutorials I've found use this one so it seems I'll have to get one of those first. The alternative for me is to scratch away the traces on the PCB and try and solder to those but don't fancy that!

Garrett.19

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »

You can do it with a controller S. I found the ones with the clear green controller are easier but whatever controller S will work. Here are two threads I used to find the button solder points. Some of the solder points I had to scrap off the green coating to get to the copper via.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=301912

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=325381

And here is the thread I used for my N64 controller to VGA controller mod.

http://forums.xbox-s...hp/t682985.html

Im sure you already have this thread but its the VGA tutorial thread I used.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=510168

gwood1234

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »

Thanks Garrett.19, really pleased someone has knowledge of this.

So if I scrape off the traces for the D-Pad and the A and B button I can solder my VGA port cable wires to them and one for the ground? Will have another look tonight - my only worry is messing up my only controller and not being able to play it at all!

Thanks
G

Garrett.19

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:00 AM »

Yeah it is easiest to just take the solder points closest to the buttons. I actually put my controller in a different case so I didn't have to fish the wires through the controller S shell. It means I can't use the controller but I think it has more benefits that way.

IPB Image

DB15 for my NES, Sega, and soon to be GBA and SNES controllers. And the DB25 just for N64 controller so far.

gwood1234

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 04:16:00 AM »

Very neat work! I've bought an original 'fat' controller from ebay so I can leave my Controller S alone in case all goes wrong. It looks like you get a bit more room to play with with that one. I've already prepared the wiring in my Competition Pro joystick which was fairly straightforward as it just uses microswitches with spade connectors. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks!
G

gwood1234

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »

Had a go at soldering the wires to my newly acquired fat XBOX controller... DISASTER! Managed to get one wire stuck on there but it's so small an area to work with I ended up in a mess doing the second one. After giving up I tried to see if it still worked and it looks like the D-PAD is now useless!

Gutted, although I'm tempted to get back on eBay and get another one to try again, but do the scrape trace method instead of soldering to the chip.

G

Garrett.19

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(gwood1234 @ Feb 18 2013, 09:50 AM) View Post

Had a go at soldering the wires to my newly acquired fat XBOX controller... DISASTER! Managed to get one wire stuck on there but it's so small an area to work with I ended up in a mess doing the second one. After giving up I tried to see if it still worked and it looks like the D-PAD is now useless!

Gutted, although I'm tempted to get back on eBay and get another one to try again, but do the scrape trace method instead of soldering to the chip.

G

Yeah that easiest way is to scrape and solder to the via. I usually scrape, throw some flux on there. Add solder to just the via itself to get a good base. Then solder to the via that has a little blob of solder on it already. Good Luck.