xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Microsoft ends original Xbox support on March 2 in the US  (Read 620 times)

vb_encryption_vb

• Archived User
Microsoft ends original Xbox support on March 2 in the US
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »

i have 3 xbox's 2 360's. I use the xbox's for movies and the old school games, and the 360 for games. seriously who dosent still want to play mike tyson's punch out for nes.

frieko

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Vejita @ Feb 28 2009, 08:16 AM) View Post

XBMC (720p Xvid AC3's for the win!)

Are you talking out your ass, or is this possible now??? AFAIK the XBOX could upscale but couldn't play a native 720p file regardless of codec.

Anybody?

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »

i still use my xbox with XBMC all the time. I have it networked to my PC, best thing i ever did. I hope my puppy never dies.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bomb Bloke @ Feb 28 2009, 04:27 AM) View Post

@red_ring_of_box:
Unfortunately, while most issues are repairable (most trivial), some simply can't be fixed. Dead processor chips, for example.

Well ya a dead processor chip is something that would be impossible to fix but if you've already opened up your xbox to figure that out than M$ has already got you blacklisted for service.

Edit: Well unless there is a certain FRAG or error code that comes up but well you know  rolleyes.gif

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(Vejita @ Feb 28 2009, 02:16 AM) View Post

Hah! Thanks to homebrew and XBMC (720p Xvid AC3's for the win!), I'm still using both of my Xboxes!

the part of the statement you quoted is out of context.

Owners who (somehow) still have an Xbox console under warranty from Microsoft

this would be a very bizarre scenario, as the system hasn't been sold official by microsoft in quite some time. i can't recall if it came with a 90 day warranty, or a 1 year, but regardless, that should have expired long ago.

QUOTE(frieko @ Feb 28 2009, 12:34 PM) View Post

Are you talking out your ass, or is this possible now??? AFAIK the XBOX could upscale but couldn't play a native 720p file regardless of codec.

Anybody?

from my experience, 720p files technically will play, but they tend to be choppy to the point that they are unwatchable. 720p is just a resolution though, and as such only half the equation. perhaps he has some 720p files at a low bitrate?

BlueSlingShot

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

The comment on "whoever still has an xbox" is pretty arrogant.

I hate to break it to them, but like the psp if it wasn't for great communities like this or other's like it, there precious systems would of died long before this time. The homebrew scene keeps this shit going.

skeen

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »

I think my xboxes will outlast the hard drives I've put in them. Since the original xbox first came out I've had 4 of them. The only problem I've had with a couple of them was with the power supply. The solder points on the circuit board (where the pins from the power chord go into) got weak and it would make an electrical noise and sometimes loose connection. This was caused from me plugging and unplugging them in countless times. But it was an easy fix even for even an amateur solderer like me. I just pulled it out, flipped it over, and soldered the loose points.
And if any of mine do break it's no big deal because the pawn shops in my area sell them for $40. Last time I bought an xbox at the pawn shop they let me go through a bunch of them until I found one with a samsung drive.

HipHopHead

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(BlueSlingShot @ Feb 28 2009, 01:46 PM) View Post

The comment on "whoever still has an xbox" is pretty arrogant.

I hate to break it to them, but like the psp if it wasn't for great communities like this or other's like it, there precious systems would of died long before this time. The homebrew scene keeps this shit going.

Read the whole sentence.  rolleyes.gif

Owners who (somehow) still have an Xbox console under warranty

metalcoat

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »

I use mine for old games and mostly a music client (xbmc) it's great for parties.  People always ask me how to do this.  Unfortunately when the xbox finally dies so does my fun...  A computer can substitute for the XBMC but that's about it.

tbb033

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Feb 28 2009, 02:38 PM) View Post

the part of the statement you quoted is out of context.
this would be a very bizarre scenario, as the system hasn't been sold official by microsoft in quite some time. i can't recall if it came with a 90 day warranty, or a 1 year, but regardless, that should have expired long ago.

MS did sell extended warranties, though. I don't mean like when you buy it at Best Buy and they ask you if you want one, I mean, when I opened my system's packaging, inside with the manual and everything was a form to sign up for one direct from MS for some amount of money. I didn't do it, and I don't know how long it lasted, and I really don't know how they could still be in effect this long after the fact, but apparently a few must be.

fiestaxr2

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(bubbafett4hire @ Feb 28 2009, 12:00 PM) *

Still have 3 xbox 1's  running XBMC in the house and use them more then the 360. Still buying used ones and  along with components for them just to XBMC them then shelf them for later use if current ones ever die.

I have 2 original xbox's im still using for xbmc and also a brand new sealed crystal xbox . It was my last xbox crystal i bought and thought i would keep it

My honest opinion is the original xbox will always be much better than this new 360 . Maybe not in power but certainly in terms of media playing and modding and definately in reliability

This post has been edited by fiestaxr2: Yesterday, 01:21 AM

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »

I find it humourous that people consider the 360 less reliable then the original model. I mean, sure, I know it's true; I just remember people complaining about how bad the first system was when it first came out.  laugh.gif

Native 720p on the X-Box is quite possible. The catch is 720p is what you might consider a "modern resolution", so people tend to use a modern codec with it - h264 usually. The X-Box struggles with that even in lower resolutions. If you switch to Xvid (with a likewise lightweight audio codec), you can pull reasonable HD playback. 1080i seems to be out of the question though, you can upscale to that but I don't think anyone's gotten smooth native out of it.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 09:50:00 PM »

h264 needs alot of power that's why the xbox will struggle. so will most netbooks.

CoLD FiRE

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 05:44:00 AM »

QUOTE(frieko @ Feb 28 2009, 08:34 PM) View Post

Anybody?

I'm not an expert but encoding 720p files using GOTSent and "MPEG2 recode"  made it possible for me to run such files without any problems, especially when choosing "DVD Player" instead of MPlayer in XBMC  smile.gif

However, there's still a noticeable quality drop when playing the converted files and not just that, they also sometimes take as two times in size as the original files

and if it wasn't for the homebrew community the original xbox would have been dead a long time ago

thanks for everyone was involved, they've done a great job  pop.gif
and special thanks for the guys who brought XBMC to the light, it's the best Media Center ever  smile.gif

Lecsi

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »

Sad news for who still have it. Xbox 1 was the best video game built ever for homebrew. Actually one all-in-one video game. Too bad i sold mine =\ It was old anyway. It is very good to be used as Media Center.
Does this support include the xbox live too?
Microsoft should put the file that teaches everything about it so users could fix the problems by their own.
And I hope not to see there:
Q: My xbox is not turning on.
A: Check if its connected to power outlet
¬¬'

Ps. does anyone know any great media center beside xbox1? At least I want it to read Real Media files.

This post has been edited by Lecsi: Today, 12:35 AM
Pages: 1 [2] 3