xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GameStop to stop accepting Xbox trade-ins on February 9  (Read 463 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
GameStop to stop accepting Xbox trade-ins on February 9
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | January 5 16:22 EST | News Category: Xbox

From destructoid.com:

GameStop will quit accepting trade-ins of original Xbox games, accessories and systems on February 9. The information comes from an internal memo sent out earlier this week. According to a few managers that we've talked to thus far, GameStop will continue selling Xbox stuff until the stocks are toast.

Full Story: destructoid.com

mhillaby

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

What a shame, Such a great console. Let the hoarding begin.. I need 20 xboxes fast lol.

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 05:28:00 PM »

Seven-year-old Xboxes still being traded in.  Bet you won't see many seven-year-old 360s being traded in in 2012, they'll have all fried!

jdsony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »

Ohhhhh....I thought it said Xbox 360 until I re-read the article. I guess this makes sense though weren't they taking SNES games until just a couple years ago? The Xbox was an awesome system and thanks to hacking community it became amazing for homebrew. XBMC was the ultimate piece of code. It's still good in it's current versions for Linux, Windows, and MAC but the nearly instant boot-up time on the XBOX is unbeatable. If it weren't for the weak processor I would still be using it today for playing videos in HD. If only the 360 could be more like you. The 360 is so much better for XBLIVE & Games in general but as a media hub it's abilities are spotty at best. I know we'll never see it but I'd love it if they made a more open system. I don't care about buying games that's not an issue but the ability to have more control over media & software in general would make me very happy. This is actually the one thing holding me back from just buying a new one to replace my RROD (no warranty) one. The price of $200 for the arcade combined with the cables, controllers, and hard drive I already have make it a bargain but if there weren't so many drawbacks with playing back my media library (file sizes, mkv format, etc) I would buy one instantly. As it is now I probably will pick one up but I don't feel the urgency because right now having a decent movie player is a priority (working on a XBMC PC solution).

GOVATENT

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(jdsony @ Jan 6 2009, 01:46 AM) View Post

I don't care about buying games that's not an issue but the ability to have more control over media & software in general would make me very happy. .

not to be rude or mean, but last I checked the xbox was designed as a game console and not a media console. If you want a media console build a pc. I do own both a 360 and a xbox with xbmc. The xbmc is just an extra feature that happens to be useful on top of games. For my future hdtv streams i will build a media pc and not use the 360 as it sucks. Even though the 360 has great games.

manatarms25

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Exobex @ Jan 6 2009, 01:28 AM) View Post

Seven-year-old Xboxes still being traded in.  Bet you won't see many seven-year-old 360s being traded in in 2012, they'll have all fried!

Very well said... I 100% agree

My local game stop here has used xbox consoles for 49.99. (The cost of a dvd-rom alone off ebay).
I should pick up a couple spares just to have. I like to play with the emulation from time to time.

Awesome console so said to see it go and the PS2 still selling games and consoles......  sad.gif

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »

The original xbox is somethin I will have forever.  I will whip it out for my grandkids in like 60 years and show them all the games from the emulators and stuff.  Just hope it still works.

Meethatguy

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 09:30:00 PM »

I have 5 Xboxes all together. 4 of them have 400gb HDD and all run XBMC connected to my netowrk so I can stream everything from my PC.  Its the most versitile media center pc you can ever buy and the cheapest.

Also, look on ebay for "broken" or "parts or repair" xboxes. they are everywhere and so cheap. and 90% of the time it just the dvd drive doesnt work or the PSU is blown.
Hell, I got 2 in a broken auction saying they didnt power up. I paid $18 and got them. both worked fine and one had a full year paid up Xbox live account.

A shame though. That means Ps2 is next

InajaD

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

Here lies the original Xbox, awesome console, emulator, media center and so much more.
R.I.P.

tecatekxf

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »

Keep telling yourself it's not a media player,Cause we all know it is and Microsoft wants it to be also,Look at the Media Center,Netflix,HD-DVD(R.I.P). Heck  go to Xbox home page in the first thing I see is Netflix,no Games.

But ya big bummer about Orig Xbox,I was just at Game stop buying some 360 Games and it was packed with people in the Orig xbox stuff.Also I think it will be some time before they stop ps2 trade-ins.Seems how it still the number one console out there.Number's that is.

xboxjason

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »

Perhaps GameStop is already is preparing for the winding down of the Xbox 360? I wonder how much more life the 360 has in it. (I mean in general, not before it rrods  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

Now that I think about it, I wonder which console will last longer in terms of software support PS2 or Xbox 360? PS2 doesn't seem it's going anywhere anytime soon if that other article holds true (31.7 percent of gamers spend more time on the PS2 than any other console).

This post has been edited by xboxjason: Jan 6 2009, 09:02 AM

rd88elw

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »

One of my modded xbox1's was DEAD, its innards out and everything, except it was still plugged in. Suddenly it turned ITSELF back on (dhcp and everything worked fine, it was my other xbox1 in another part of the house that told me the other one was alive again), and I actually can't turn it off. I tried turning it off and the power button doesn't respond, I tell XBMC to reset the system and it just reboots. I can pull the power out of course, I mean I KNOW its haunted but its not doing anything bad so I'm going to leave it.

luther349

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:00 AM »

hows that rip for the xbox it was no longer being made or supported years ago. this just means you whont be able to do a crappy gamestop trade in. i knew to horde my xbox long before it was no longer being made.  i also got a sega dreamcast  smile.gif

Bomb Bloke

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 03:15:00 AM »

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(xboxjason @ Jan 6 2009, 08:55 AM) View Post

Perhaps GameStop is already is preparing for the winding down of the Xbox 360? I wonder how much more life the 360 has in it. (I mean in general, not before it rrods  laugh.gif )

Now that I think about it, I wonder which console will last longer in terms of software support PS2 or Xbox 360? PS2 doesn't seem it's going anywhere anytime soon if that other article holds true (31.7 percent of gamers spend more time on the PS2 than any other console).

The xbox 360 is backwards compatible with the vast majority of xbox games.  Ps3 is not backwards compatible with ps2.  There wasn't as much of a point to keep selling xboxs as there was ps2s.  If PS3 was backwards compatible with PS2, we probably would have seen a huge drop in PS2 sales and probably a pretty big increase in PS3 sales.
Pages: [1] 2