xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Why Can't I Write To My C Drive?  (Read 96 times)

sonesmj

• Archived User
Why Can't I Write To My C Drive?
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »

I'm trying to make changes to the contents of my C drive, but get errors which i think are due to it being read-only. I'm trying to copy/change some dashboard files using the file explorer.

I'm running Unleash X on a softmodded xbox (hot swap method with Xboxhdm/Ndure I think).

Also, will updating my C: from within UnleashX make any difference? Do I need to edit the shadowC stuff instead, whatever that is, and however I do that!

Cheers
Mark

OmegaDL50

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »

All of the primary files that the Xbox needs to maintain a basic functionality are stored on it's C drive.

This includes the original MS Dash.

also consider that all of the default drives that come with an Xbox are locked meaning they can't be written to on the primary partition were all the system crucial files are stored, which just happens to be the C drive in this case.

Also I don't see any other reason why you would want to get access to the C Drive unless you need to back up all of the crucial files, in the case something goes wrong and want to default the system to it's standard settings.

I am sure one of the more knowledgeable Modders will even clarify this for you further.

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

also consider that all of the default drives that come with an Xbox are locked meaning they can't be written to on the primary partition were all the system crucial files are stored, which just happens to be the C drive in this case.

That is not correct. The drive is locked, and C is the main partition, but you can overwrite C anytime.

The reason he can't overwrite/edit his C is the Shadow C.

And as above said, you shouldn't be editing C. Shadow C prevents the M$ dash from being updated and is also a very nice protection against people that don't know what they are doing.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Now... why do you want to edit your C?

sonesmj

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 12:08:00 AM »

QUOTE(cerealkillajme @ May 8 2007, 09:41 PM) *

That is not correct. The drive is locked, and C is the main partition, but you can overwrite C anytime.

The reason he can't overwrite/edit his C is the Shadow C.

And as above said, you shouldn't be editing C. Shadow C prevents the M$ dash from being updated and is also a very nice protection against people that don't know what they are doing.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Now... why do you want to edit your C?

I've got a new TV which does NOT support PAL60 on the component inputs.  Before I softmodded, I was locked in PAL60 mode, setup via the MS Dash.

The MSDash has never worked from within my softmodded install.. After much buggering about, I've found all the files I need from my original C backup, but can't get it to run from E:.  I've copied all the files to a CDRW, and it runs fine from there... I can change my PAL60 settings in the MS Dash to NO, and then do a 4 button reset, then boot my games - BUT the change is not permanent.... either because I'm running the dash from the "wrong" drive, or because of shadow C.

Any thoughts.........?

Oh, and the video settings in UnleashX don't help me - changing PAL60 settings here makes no difference for some reason...

Mark.

sonesmj

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »

come on guys!

cerealkillajme

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »

It sounds like the virtual eeprom is blocking you from making changes. I'm not very experienced with XBOXHDM/PC softmodding, but I believe you need "Ndure toolset" and that will allow you to make changes to your real or virtual eeprom. That's about as much as I can offer on that.

Other than that (I know this works with gamesave style softmodding) you can remove the softmod and go back to stock, then make the changes to your M$ dash as needed, then once you have everything the way you want just softmod it again and your changes should be saved.