xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Do I Really Need To Mod My X-box?  (Read 303 times)

Pson

• Archived User
What Do I Really Need To Mod My X-box?
« on: April 25, 2006, 10:15:00 AM »

Ok I have read alot on info on this and now I am more lost then before.  I know I may get slammed for asking this Question but I have to try to learn someway.  Now all I want to do to my X-box is the abitily to play other games(old school stuff) and save new X-box games and play them without the game disc too.   So what would I need...I have seen the chips and will get one that doesn't need to be sodered in.  But do I need a hard drive??  If so what kind should I get for what I want to do??  Also I have a MAc not a PC what progam would be Mac friendly??  Also will the HD need to be sodered??  
I am sorry for the Question and anyhelp would be great
TIA

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 10:45:00 AM »

Just about all mods except for case modding will allow you to do what you would like to do with your xbox. As for the HDD then you will need a larger one if you want to save games to it. Which it sounds like you do. As for the type of HDD you need, well if you are using a chip and dont want to play online then any IDE HDD will work. And no the HDD doesnt need to be soldered in. You will need emulators to play the OLD SCHOOL games you are talking about unless they are also xbox games. As for the Mac stuff well I dont know I personally dont like Macs.

good luck

Pson

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 10:51:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pson @ Apr 25 2006, 05:22 PM) View Post

Ok I have read alot on info on this and now I am more lost then before.  I know I may get slammed for asking this Question but I have to try to learn someway.  Now all I want to do to my X-box is the abitily to play other games(old school stuff) and save new X-box games and play them without the game disc too.   So what would I need...I have seen the chips and will get one that doesn't need to be sodered in.  But do I need a hard drive??  If so what kind should I get for what I want to do??  Also I have a MAc not a PC what progam would be Mac friendly??  Also will the HD need to be sodered??  
I am sorry for the Question and anyhelp would be great
TIA

Ok I found a site for the HDD's but which one would fit the what I need.  A 80G or 160G??
Also The chip I know where to buy...and how to install I thing??  But the HDD is that a direct fit or play time to get it to fit??

QUOTE(4everlearning @ Apr 25 2006, 05:52 PM) View Post

Just about all mods except for case modding will allow you to do what you would like to do with your xbox. As for the HDD then you will need a larger one if you want to save games to it. Which it sounds like you do. As for the type of HDD you need, well if you are using a chip and dont want to play online then any IDE HDD will work. And no the HDD doesnt need to be soldered in. You will need emulators to play the OLD SCHOOL games you are talking about unless they are also xbox games. As for the Mac stuff well I dont know I personally dont like Macs.

good luck

Thank you very much for the info.  I don't really play games on-line much anymore so That would be ok as for the emulaters......where would I get them??  I have heared of downloading them So maybe I could burn a CD and load it into my X-box??  Also is a chip really need then???  As for the Mac...I guess I could try it in Vir. PC???
Thanks again for the help.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:54:00 AM »

EDIT: First no file requests of any kind. It's against the rules here.
You can also softmod, but that might be harder than a solderless chip.
The chip you get should have instructions on how to install.
2nd EDIT: oh yeah, to play emulators you will need a mod of some sort.

If you want to play XBL then you'll want a HDD that can "LOCK"
Look around the forum, do a google search, and find a list of HDD's that are lockable.

here's some reading for you...

http://www.xbox-scen...dd-install2.php

read this second...
http://www.xbox-scen...les/hdd-ftp.php

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:57:00 AM »

HDD's are all pretty much a direct fit. As for what size well that depends on how many games you want to save to hdd. Keep in mind that the avg game is about 2-3Gb but some get as big a 5-6Gb. also make sure to subtract the (I say) 10gigs from the HDD size for the original xbox HDD configuration.

QUOTE(Pson @ Apr 25 2006, 09:58 AM) View Post

Thank you very much for the info.  I don't really play games on-line much anymore so That would be ok as for the emulaters......where would I get them??  I have heared of downloading them So maybe I could burn a CD and load it into my X-box??  Also is a chip really need then???  As for the Mac...I guess I could try it in Vir. PC???
Thanks again for the help.

No a mod-chip is not really a have to have, but I feel they are more noobie friendly and help you get accustomed to what is in the xbox.

Pson

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ Apr 25 2006, 06:01 PM) View Post

EDIT: First no file requests of any kind. It's against the rules here.
You can also softmod, but that might be harder than a solderless chip.
The chip you get should have instructions on how to install.
2nd EDIT: oh yeah, to play emulators you will need a mod of some sort.

If you want to play XBL then you'll want a HDD that can "LOCK"
Look around the forum, do a google search, and find a list of HDD's that are lockable.

here's some reading for you...

http://www.xbox-scen...dd-install2.php

read this second...
http://www.xbox-scen...les/hdd-ftp.php

Cool thank you for the help and sorry about the rules breaking...I don't even know what I did..lol.  So I want a lock HDD cool.
Does this one work??
http://www.gocybersh...home.php?cat=35

And I should get a chip...or am I allowed to ask that???  All in all this setup should set me back 99.99 HDD and what about 49.99 for the chip??  Does that sound right??  

QUOTE(4everlearning @ Apr 25 2006, 06:04 PM) View Post

HDD's are all pretty much a direct fit. As for what size well that depends on how many games you want to save to hdd. Keep in mind that the avg game is about 2-3Gb but some get as big a 5-6Gb. also make sure to subtract the (I say) 10gigs from the HDD size for the original xbox HDD configuration.
No a mod-chip is not really a have to have, but I feel they are more noobie friendly and help you get accustomed to what is in the xbox.

Hmmm...you don't really need a chip??   What are the sizes are the emulaters could I keep my HD for now and just put a chip in it and get the HDD later??

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(Pson @ Apr 25 2006, 01:16 PM) View Post

And I should get a chip...or am I allowed to ask that???
don't get smart i'm just trying to help.
BTW it would be benificial for you to read the rules

Your math sounds right. There are cheaper chips availible if you can solder or can get someone to solder for you.

It doesn't say if the maxtor is lockable. I'll check on that.

You can use your stock HDD for emulators. You'll have room. Just delete your soundtracks files

Pson

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 11:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ Apr 25 2006, 06:25 PM) View Post

don't get smart i'm just trying to help.
BTW it would be benificial for you to read the rules

Your math sounds right. There are cheaper chips availible if you can solder or can get someone to solder for you.

It doesn't say if the maxtor is lockable. I'll check on that.

You can use your stock HDD for emulators. You'll have room. Just delete your soundtracks files

Sorry I wasn't being smart I really did not what rule I broke..lol.  I will read the rules alittle more.  So if I can still use my stock HDD for emulators then I would need a chip then?? to run the Emulators??  Or is there a way around that too??
Thank you two for the great info...I am sorry I am not picking this up faster.

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 11:27:00 AM »

You can read up on no mod chip hacks here. If it gets confusing just get a chip they are worth not screwing up you box.

EDIT: Its all good we all have been noobs at one time or another. We all have had questions and most of us still have questions from time to time.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 11:28:00 AM »

here's the list of lockable HDD's. There's three links that give you three lists. <link>

You need a mod.

Either a "softmod" or a chip.

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 11:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ Apr 25 2006, 10:35 AM) View Post

You need a mod.

Either a "softmod" or a chip.

He could prob do a TSOP flash but we wont got here with this guy since he doesnt want to solder.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 11:41:00 AM »

A TSOP flash is a kind of "softmod"

4everlearning

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 11:43:00 AM »

in a very distant sort of way.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(_iffy @ Apr 25 2006, 07:48 PM) View Post

A TSOP flash is a kind of "softmod"

no it isn't. The only relationship is has to softmod is that you need a gamesave exploit to get a flashing app running.

_iffy

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

You need to softmod or run an exploit in order to flash your TSOP.

A TSOP flash is so you don't have run the gamesave hack everytime you turn on your xbox.

stop posting.
Pages: [1] 2