xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Black Screen After Xbox Screen With Successful Softmod, Already Tried  (Read 207 times)

nukesgoboom

• Archived User

Ive had a soft modded xbox for about 2 months now, and its been working great. i played emulators on it, copied and played games from the harddrive, everything was going very well. i used unleashx as my dash.

however, i go to turn on my xbox this afternoon, and it goes to the xbox screen, then the white text 'MS' appear under the xbox logo, just like it used too.

and then, darkness. i get a black screen and it stays that way. normally at this point i should be seeing the unleashx dashboard logo, and it should boot into unleashx.

i think, well maybe something is wrong with the harddrive. im using a western digital 80 gig 72000rpm. i take it out, and then i format and copy over my backup c and e drives and then lock it with my eeprom using xbox harddrive manager. i use the same bootdisc that i used to make that harddrive into an xbox harddrive the first time around so i know the disc is fully working.

i put it back into the xbox, SAME THING HAPPENS. i get nothing after the xbox and MS screen. even with the ORIGINAL xbox harddrive in there!

now i think, well i still have the ORIGINAL harddrive that came with this xbox, modded with kindroach's NDURE 3.0. so, i pop that harddrive in there, SAME THING HAPPENS, i get a black screen after the xbox and MS screen.

so i know its not a problem with the harddrive because ive tried 2 different harddrives and they both give the same result, plus i was able to reformat one of them so it proves its working.

my xbox used to work great, just 2 days ago it was working fine. i have no idea what could be going wrong, i just get a black screen after the xbox logo with the MS text.

please, im desperate! whats wrong here?!

B1ZKIT

• Archived User
Black Screen After Xbox Screen With Successful Softmod, Already Tried
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 03:59:00 PM »

Is the button flashing any colors?  also you didn't reformat the original xbox harddrive did you?

nukesgoboom

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »

the button stays a constant yellow color, with a black screen on my tv. the unleashx logo does not come up, but it should.

i did NOT reformat the original xbox, but i DID leave the softmod intact from the hotswap that i first did. i put this harddrive in the xbox, which worked 2 months ago and hasnt been touched since, and it goes to black screen with yellow button after the M$ xbox log and white text.

i have NO idea how this happened. my xbox was working FINE 2 days ago.

what could this possibly mean?! i dont get any error message, just a black screen. this is so wierd!!

EDIT:

guys, now its getting EVEN STRANGER!!! i thought to myself, hmmm, perhaps if i put in one of my BACKED UP game cds, (not the original), it might work.

i put in the game cd, and restart. still nothing, black screen.

however, i pop open the dvd drive, and suddenly it REVERTS back to the ORIGINAL xbox dash, as in the legit M$ one. WIERD!!

so, i power off, reboot, and then my unleashx dashboard is back!!

does that make ANY sense to ANY of you? how wack and crazy is that!??! i didnt understand it myself. perhaps a rare bug in unleashx? who knows?

this happen to anyone else?

This post has been edited by nukesgoboom: Apr 16 2006, 01:26 AM

TridenT_Boy3555

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 06:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(nukesgoboom @ Apr 15 2006, 01:12 PM) View Post

im using a western digital 80 gig 72000rpm.

Maybe your hard drive melted? I mean when your hard drive disk spins at 1200 rotations per second.. It could possibly have melted.... Btw I have the same HDD but mine goes at 7200rpm..Wish I had that 72000...Wonder how that sounds. Bzzzzzzzz WHOOOSH

Sharky

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »

Do you have a backup of your xbox eeprom?

It sounds like your eeprom has become corrupted

Sharky

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »

It could have been a bug in one of the skinsthat you are using ?

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

{!
TridenT_Boy3555; excellent observation (and response, LOL) IMO.

nukesgoboom; I'd like some of what you're on ... just kidding; I experienced something similar about a year ago (during the Ndure beta test) but haven't since and I've not seen a post about anything like it before this (and I've read thousands).
!}

nukesgoboom

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 12:18:00 AM »

thanks for the replies.

everything is going well now, i was able to play all the games i backed up off the HD again, and all my emulators work. im happy.

however, still cant get over how strange that was. the harddrive is fine man, i was able to reformat it first of all so that proves it was working. and its working now anyway, with all the games i had before.

so, if any of you get a black screen with unleashx, try putting a game in, eject cd tray,power off, reboot. it worked for me.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

I know some of my beta testers got similar results which turned out a little unleashx/nkpatcher clock code bug. When the clock is dead the xbox is supposed to boot to the clock settings screen of the msdash. Although on some xboxes it only booted to a black screen. I believe xman released a fix for this.

nukesgoboom

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

i see! i also thought it might be something like that. you said that someone released a fix for this? where exactly would i go to find this little fix? is it just a little file i have to replace?

thanks for telling me about this, im glad that im not alone even if its not many, i DID leave the xbox unplugged for over a day so maybe thats it? heh, i really dont care what time the xbox thinks it is, but im sure the time has other stuff to do with it besides letting me know when to go to bed.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006, 03:11:00 PM »

nah you need to recompile nkpatcher. I just disabled the clock check in the config in my installer but if you want the check you can look for the fix here

This post has been edited by krayzie: Apr 16 2006, 10:11 PM

Ndure protagonist

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(krayzie @ Apr 16 2006, 12:40 PM) View Post

I know some of my beta testers got similar results which turned out a little unleashx/nkpatcher clock code bug. When the clock is dead the xbox is supposed to boot to the clock settings screen of the msdash. Although on some xboxes it only booted to a black screen. I believe xman released a fix for this.

Great catch krayzie; that likely explains an anomaly some have reported in the "Ndure Softmod Through Xboxhdm" thread too!

nukesgoboom

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 11:23:00 AM »

i dont have much techincal knowledge but id say that shadowc failing to load sounds the most plausible because i DO USE the shadowc_off.bin file, to turn shadow c off. ive had it that way for about 2 months, everything was going great, then boom, black screen.

thanks for the link to the clock fix,

clk_f1 : db      '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\fonts\Xbox book.xtf',0,0
clk_f2 : db      '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\xboxdashdata.185ead00\settings_clock.xip',0,0
clk_f3 : db      '\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\media\content\english\locale.103',0,0

i need to put this in a file somewhere im sure, which exact file do i need to add this too? i can use FTP right?

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »

no you need to recompile nkpatcher. maybe the easiest thing for you to do is to make sure shadowc isn't turned off and it has msdash files on it and that you don't unplug your xbox too much

nukesgoboom

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2006, 09:51:00 PM »

ok i had shadowc off, meaning that my true c drive was exposed. i did this only because the sounds on the dashboard work when i have shadowc off, but i guess i can live without it and move the sounds folder or something, oh well.

so removing my shadowC_off.bin file will prevent this blackscreen from ever happening again? whats the true purpose of the shadowC_off.bin file anyway? i dont understand.

one more question, is there any way to disable the clock check without recompiling nkpatcher?

This post has been edited by nukesgoboom: Apr 19 2006, 04:55 AM
Pages: [1] 2