xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dvd Dongle Hardwire Install Tut  (Read 732 times)

cirsory

• Archived User
Dvd Dongle Hardwire Install Tut
« on: June 16, 2006, 02:38:00 PM »

ok, this is my first tutorial so go easy, ok?  

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOURS OR ANY XBOX.

dvd dongle hardwire

What You Need:
  Xbox
  DVD IR Dongle
  Solder Iron
  22 Gauge wiring
  Solder
  Dremel
  Electrical Tape
  Hot Glue Gun(Optional)

(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture0021.jpg)
1.  crack open the dvd dongle, it is held together by plastic clips.  (i used a vice grip to crack the plastic then a screwdriver to take it completely off)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture004.jpg)
2.  pry out the board.  make sure your points to pry at are where the pins(to the controller port) are otherwise you might break the board.
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture005.jpg)
3.  cut off the the long pins that went into the controller port.
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture007.jpg)
4.  solder 5 wires to where the pins were.  power on the right, ground on the left. and put electrical tape all over that sucka to prevent any grounding.(not a good image)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture006.jpg)
5. solder wires from chip to back of connector accordingly. (power to power, ground to ground, etc.)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture001.jpg)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture002.jpg)
6.  dremel some space for the chip behind the front cover and make a hole for the IR(this is my first time using a dremel, does it show?)
(IMG:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/cirsory/xbox/Picture003.jpg)
7.  Insert chip where you made the space and use either hot glue gun(best) or electrical tape to hold it in place.
8.  test before completely reassembling your xbox and enjoy.

some constructive criticism is appreciated.  i didnt see a tutorial for this anywhere else. so please dont bust too much me if there is and this is just useless.

This post has been edited by cirsory: Jun 16 2006, 09:42 PM

War_Machine

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »

just like the other tuts

u did howeve run into the same idea i did, which i havnt seen anyone else do before, which was, manage to strip off the plastic shit, but leave the prongs, for easy wire attachment. its a lot easier soldering to those than to the points on the chip (and less room to fuck up). pics could be better quality though

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

great job man. if you would have gotten a xerc and wire the dvd dongle and the xerc together you could turn it on and off and eject. as well as have regular dvd functions. thats what i did and the ir reciever is alot smaller. over all good job i fried a dvd dongle by removing the pins and trying to solder in the wires. i think i killed a trace. the other tuts ive seen they didnt have pics at least you do. you know you cant use that port anymore right?

Y26tav

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »

He can if he set it up for the controler to take priority over the dongle... that might not of made sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cirsory

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 05:34:00 PM »

i was not sure about the port not being in use anymore or not.  i am hoping i can still use it, havent tested that far yet.  i understand y26 what your sayiing.  

Y26tav

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 05:37:00 PM »

I have the le halo case so would i need the hole or will the signal go threw the clear green case? becuae i have everything but the dremel =)

and I remember somthing about needing a relay to have both ports work.

This post has been edited by Y26tav: Jun 17 2006, 12:38 AM

cirsory

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Y26tav @ Jun 16 2006, 07:37 PM) *

I have the le halo case so would i need the hole or will the signal go threw the clear green case? becuae i have everything but the dremel =)

it should work through the clear case.  the original dvd dongle comes in a black casing with a clear circle part.  IR is infared.  infared signal will go to the receiver as long as it is visible.  a relay would be a great addon to make the port work.

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 05:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(Y26tav @ Jun 16 2006, 06:37 PM) *

yes it would work through the clear green cace front, and you can put a switch in so you only have one on at a time. theres another way to have it automatically switch when you plug in a controller but its so much wire. i just cut all other wires to the port but the power and ground for the leds.

to have both you have to use a 4 pole dpdt switch and wire in the red, green, white and black to the switch. cut the wires the the port and wire them to the middle section of the switch, and the others to the outer poles. make sure you correspond the colors to each other, so when you switch it one way the ports on, the other the dongle is on. its real simple

cirsory

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 06:23:00 PM »

why make it so complicated.  i think you could use a dpst and just use the power wires.  when there is something in the port it'll throw the switch to turn off the power to the ir.

Navillos

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »

no i think you have to do the data wires too. what do you mean complicated? very easy,  in fact too easy. i even suck at soldering

This post has been edited by Navillos: Jun 17 2006, 04:06 AM

eksLax

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2006, 01:40:00 AM »

wait there are 5 pins, you said power on the right, and ground on the left, what do i do with the 3 in the middle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/uhh.gif)

cirsory

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2006, 05:34:00 AM »

the three in the middle connect to the corresponding wired on the control port, like this:

power-----power
data------data
data------data
data------data
ground------ground

mrogers

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2006, 06:12:00 AM »

There are a few other tuts out there about this, I talk about what I did on my site and I followed the tutorial here. I used a relay so I don't have to mess with a switch. When I plug a controller in, it seamlessly switches to the controller. When I unplug the controller, it seamlessly switches back to the dvd dongle. I also separated the IR sensor from the dongle's PCB and ran it out through the underside of the front bezel so I didn't have to cut any holes in my case.

EDIT: Also, I think the title of your post is a little misleading..."Free up your port"? You didn't free up the port, you disabled it. Until you put a switch or relay in, you're not freeing up that port for use.

This post has been edited by mrogers: Jun 21 2006, 01:14 PM