xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Get Higher Than 480i  (Read 629 times)

fallenangle

• Recovered User
Get Higher Than 480i
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:39:00 AM »

Not through SCART simply because the (RGB) SCART standard didn't allow progressive scan support. Phyiscally there was no reason for it not to be able to carry VGA and or Component it certainly has more than enough pins to do so. But, I believe, there were licencing issues connected with copyright protection and the result was a system that simply didn't support 480p or higher resolutions.

There were a few EU CRTs, Philips had one and there was a Sony on sale on German eBay five or six years ago which did have progressive scan support through a SCART socket. But this was via an adapter lead designed for specific DVD players, not general use. That's it AFAIK.

Consequently an Xbox (RGB) SCART lead is a SD only cable and, depending on the region, supports PAL 576i/50Hz and 480i/60Hz or NTSC 480i/60Hz. I've never been sure if the PAL Xbox is outputting PAL60 or genuine NTSC (like the PS2) or whether it supports both. What I do know is that you can play some region free NTSC games on an unmodded PAL Xbox in both 576i/50Hz and 480i/60Hz.

To get the benefits of 480p Xbox gaming you need either have to do a VGA mod (not for your average user) or simply find a Component cable and use that with a NTSC machine or modded PAL one, region changed to NTSC.

Most PAL Xbox games do include 480p support within their code so it doesn't matter what region they are they'll still play in 480p.

bucko

• Recovered User
Get Higher Than 480i
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Oct 14 2013, 01:39 PM) View Post

Not through SCART simply because the (RGB) SCART standard didn't allow progressive scan support. Phyiscally there was no reason for it not to be able to carry VGA and or Component it certainly has more than enough pins to do so. But, I believe, there were licencing issues connected with copyright protection and the result was a system that simply didn't support 480p or higher resolutions.

There were a few EU CRTs, Philips had one and there was a Sony on sale on German eBay five or six years ago which did have progressive scan support through a SCART socket. But this was via an adapter lead designed for specific DVD players, not general use. That's it AFAIK.

Consequently an Xbox (RGB) SCART lead is a SD only cable and, depending on the region, supports PAL 576i/50Hz and 480i/60Hz or NTSC 480i/60Hz. I've never been sure if the PAL Xbox is outputting PAL60 or genuine NTSC (like the PS2) or whether it supports both. What I do know is that you can play some region free NTSC games on an unmodded PAL Xbox in both 576i/50Hz and 480i/60Hz.

To get the benefits of 480p Xbox gaming you need either have to do a VGA mod (not for your average user) or simply find a Component cable and use that with a NTSC machine or modded PAL one, region changed to NTSC.

Most PAL Xbox games do include 480p support within their code so it doesn't matter what region they are they'll still play in 480p.

This is what I do highlighted in bold it works well.