xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xenium Solderless Blows....  (Read 1204 times)

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
Xenium Solderless Blows....
« on: May 20, 2004, 06:01:00 AM »

So after struggling to get the adapter to sit on the filled LPC holes on my V1.0,  I finally took two small washers and put one on the bottom and one on the top of the adapter and it fit nice and snug.

BUT,  the part that fails is the part that shouldnt,  when you sit the chip on top of the adapter it rocks back and forth like a freakin seesaw.  WTF??? Its like the pins arent thick enough to hold it in place,  the slightest bump knocks it loose and then I have to play with it again.  Forget putting the case back on,  it will never happen.

Very disappointed in that aspect of the design,  even the pin header doest fit very snug.  What gives?  

The solderless adapter leaves some daylight between the adapter and the chip plug, but the pin header inserts fully till they are flush.

Anyone else ever see this issue?  Any ideas on how to rememdy it?maybe stack on some silcone tape till it causes some tension? :huh:

This post has been edited by Tommy Vercetti on May 20 2004, 01:03 PM

marksu

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 06:44:00 AM »

Have you tried the Paper Folder Trick?

EDIT1: This way you can have the screw more tighten down.ยจ

EDIT2: maybe I missunderstod?
Hmm you mean the problem lies that the pins on the adapter are to thin therefore the xenium does not stick tighly on the adapter?

This post has been edited by marksu on May 20 2004, 02:39 PM

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2004, 08:47:00 AM »

QUOTE (marksu @ May 20 2004, 08:44 AM)

EDIT2: maybe I missunderstod?
Hmm you mean the problem lies that the pins on the adapter are to thin therefore the xenium does not stick tighly on the adapter?

The adapter to the motherboard is perfectly fine,  the washers worked great.

Its the chip on TOP of the adapter that sucks.  Its flops back and forth while on the adapter.  I am rather disappointed about it,  i wanted to bring my box into work to impress some heads,  but no go.

May I will put a little spat of hot glue on it to keep it steady. :blink:

marksu

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 09:13:00 AM »

ye, Now I got it now.

Sounds strange that no one else have mensioned of the same problem.
Hmm could it be some strange factory fault?

Maybe you should consult the Ozxodus before using any glue?

If the glue thing is required for the xenium to work something is wrong!

Maybe they send you a new adapter/xenium or something?

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

Nothing will ever get the results you want (ability to transport the XBox and not have to worry about the chip becomming misaligned) untill you go ahead solder the pin header in and solder d0 to the (back) of the mobo.  Ive used solderless pogopin type addons plenty, and they are only good if the XBox will never move, not even from the vibrations from your stereo system (at least on my system, the subs would make the pogo pins get misaligned).  Just bite the bullet and start to solder....its not that hard.   Use flux, its a god send for those who arent to happy with their soldering skills.  Hell if you have to, tape off each individual solder point so that you dont have to worry about splashes.  Its not that hard once you put your mind to it.

Tommy Vercetti

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »

Its not the adapter though, its the chip.  Even when I insert the pin header into the chip there is still some wobble.  

You guys get what I mean?  The black female plug on the chip? Its wobbling there,  adapter or pin header, its like the holes are too big.

Anyway,  I am just gonna spat a little dab if hot glue on either side and see how that goes.

marksu

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »

Yes I understand.

It sure sounds strange.

Still I would contact Ozxodus cause might just be a faulty part on the xenium.

EmperorPsiblade

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2004, 01:31:00 PM »

yeah just check with Ozx...