xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Did You Buy A Psp?  (Read 4289 times)

shinryuuken

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 01:17:00 AM »

laugh.gif

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:00 AM »

i dont have one, but if i get bored, i might get one. depends a bit of what can be done on the hacking side of things

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 01:55:00 AM »

Maybe would've got one back in the day (when I was like 8-10).  I see all portable gaming systems as being more for the kids to play when they're bored in the back seat or waiting somewhere with their parents.  Who the hell has time to play a game if you work? Full time student? Parent?  I'm both working and part time art student and I don't have any free time like that.  If I had any free time to play games I'd play a REAL game system.  And to use it as a portable movie player is a joke to me.  Maybe if you are a traveling business person on long plane rides who enjoys gaming alot.... that, i guess, would make some sense.  Otherwise it's juss for the kids to me.

maxlifo

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 05:19:00 AM »

Terrible build quality.  Utterly impractical for carrying around due to it's size and ease of scratching, a colleague scratched his screen wiping it with a jumper FFS.  The buttons are horrible.  What's with the analogue stick?  And THOSE D buttons ae horrid, diagonals are a joke.  Playing Tony Hawks was a nightmare.   If I had to buy a handheld, I'd get a DS.  I already own a modified GBA and I never play that, so it's unlikely.

I played one for about 3 hours and I didn't get used to it or really enjoy the experience.  The battery died shortly afterwards too.  Another point.

Plus side?  Really nice screen and the most powerful handheld out there.  Shame it's in such a flimsy package and you have to buy expensive propriatary items to get the most out of it.  Eff you Sony and your DRM stragegy as well:

http://news.yahoo.co...103/tc_nf/39083 (off topic but relevant to my point as it's typical Sony style).

Needless to say I'll not be buying one!  I'll take it if it's free though.

MaD_mAnIaC

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 09:04:00 AM »

I bought one mainly for homebrew, but i'm enjoying some games too (since i never owned a sony console, there are lot's of games that i never played before).
The psp is a wonderfull piece of hardware, but the limitations that sony imposed on the software are hiding some of it's "shine"...

bucko

• Recovered User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

alsybub

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 10:56:00 AM »

A couple of people have mentioned build quality with the PSP. I have to say that, having imported a few of these myself when 1st released in Japan and then recently the white version, the build quality of the Japanese version seems to be vastly superior to the US version. I own a Jap and a US PSP (don't ask why) the Jap PSP screen is brighter, it feels more solid, there are no dead pixels ( in nearly every jap i have seen) and one thing I really notice is the finish, I have never seen a facia on a US PSP that isnt without ripples or little imperfections from production. All the Jap systems I see have a perfect smooth mirror finish. When I was in the US in May I bought back 15 psp's with me and not one had a perfect finish or without a dead pixel! I'm surprised more people haven't picked up on this.

xboxuser5

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 01:12:00 PM »

over priced game's over priced handheld not sure if any handheld model was worth it lots of people get them and then sell them a week later L.O.L.

Alex Atkin UK

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

I love my PSP but it IS too fragile and Sony holding back some of its functionality in order to sell their UMD movies and their TV streaming box.

My screen got cracked after less than 2 weeks use and im not sure it was even my fault.  I dropped it twice out of my trouser (pants) pocket but it was fine afterwards, but the next day the screen had a big crack in it.  I think it was actually just the changing temperature in the flat to be honest as it was perfectly fine after the small drops.

I would have to say the screen is the letdown on the PSP.  Its too damn slow refresh rate amongst other things - you get major smearing on the screen especially on GTA.  Id rather have had a slightly duller, not quite as clear screen with a decent pixel response time.  I havent seen an LCD this slow for 5 years, my 3 year old laptop doesnt even smear on GTA.

Alex Atkin UK

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 01:27:00 PM »

<duplicate>

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

I bought one and I love it.  I have played it for countless hours at work.  I think it does everything i can reasonably expect it to.  It's great.

CyberPunk

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 02:19:00 PM »

I love my PSP. There are going to be a lot of online games for it in the future. As of now you can play Battlefront 2, Fifa 2006, Madden 2006, NBA Live 2006 and The World Series of Poker online. I use it mostly for emulators and homebrew applications... (like the PSP Radio that connects to Shoutcast) but I also like being able to backup my games to the memory stick.

If you don't like handhelds in general then thats fine, but if you do like them then this is a must have. The Sony PSP is by far the best handheld for gamers, developers and hobbyists.

Obviously no handheld is not going to be comparable to current or next gen consoles so it is kind of dumb to compare them. I would rather play my Xbox or PS2 over the PSP as well, but I play my PSP more since I cannot always play those systems.

mdfirefighter

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »

ph34r.gif  And if anyone is interested in one. Just PM me.  biggrin.gif

MDFF

aepuppetmaster

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

i liked it but i kinda felt cheated.   constant firmware updates, not that many/good games.  not that much space.  and not a big hombrew scene.   i wish it had more tittles and ppl behind it.

canUrollwiththis

• Archived User
Did You Buy A Psp?
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2005, 05:54:00 PM »

this is funny because i just bought a psp today
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6