xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 + Pc  (Read 871 times)

unr3al

• Archived User
Xbox 360 + Pc
« on: February 28, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »

Ok, I know this has probably been discussed to death already, but I can't seem to find an explicit answer anywhere.

To link the 360 to my computer to play movies/videos I need a PC with Windows XP updated with SP2 and the media center software from www.xbox.com/pcsetup, correct?

Thus far I have been able to connect to my computer to play music and photos but when I click the media center link on the xbox to link to my pc to play videos it goes through the network connect screen and on to the page where it says you have to download and install software from www.xbox.com/pcsetup and then just stays there.  Also, during the pc software setup I was never asked for the xbox key that the xbox tells me I will have to enter during the setup?

Are you able to connect to play videos with a regular Windows XP+SP2 computer or does it have to be some special Windows Media Center version of XP?  As far as I can tell from the XBOX page you should be able to connect with a regular XP updated to SP2.

Edit:  However, now that I look at the xbox/pcsetup page again I think I installed the media center version and not the SP2 version of the software.  I wonder if that will make a difference...  But I could still connect to play music and photos.

This post has been edited by unr3al: Feb 28 2006, 08:34 PM

sunkist

• Archived User
Xbox 360 + Pc
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

There are multiple threads on this and it says on xbox.com as well as in the 360 itself, but basically you need Windows Media Center Edition (a special version of XP) in order to play videos from your computer.