xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Divx On 360  (Read 3176 times)

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2005, 04:40:00 PM »

QUOTE(SilentWatcher @ Dec 10 2005, 02:44 PM) View Post

Keep in mind that it is possible to play DivX on a Media Center Extender using a home media server program.
This simply transcodes your divx/other format on-the-fly to WMV or MPEG, letting you play them seamlessly.
For exmaple, see Nero MediaHome:
http://ww2.nero.com/..._MediaHome.html

Ideally, this should work with all uPnP devices like any Media Center Extender- but MS locked down the 360 so it is not viewed from a PC as a uPnP device. Get around that protection, and you have DivX.

On the fly? yikes! that has to a. degrade the quality of a media file that isn't perfect to begin with, and b. probably need a really beefy system to keep up. I think I'll just stick to XBMC for now. I guess I got spoiled. The 360 isn't marketed to be an "the" media playback device (or is it). I just find it funny when people think it's cool that the 360 stream pics, [wmv] movies, music and the like. Either they've never seen the potential of a modded xbox or haven't the slightest. The 360 playback is such a headache, and well, it just plain sucks. I'll be playing games smile.gif

mathias

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2005, 04:47:00 PM »

whats scarry is if you download windows meadia center (bootleg) get your xbox 360 all setup then you go on live and they just double check your meadia center and disable it because the key has been used 5000 times....

violent_bong

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 03:56:00 PM »

Yeah, this is just another reason to promote modding xbox 360's...I would have left mine stock and enjoyed live....but without the full media support like XBMC had...what's the point?...it's just ridiculous, anyways, good luck getting some kind of divx/xvid support, hopefully one day someone will figure it out..

Oddish

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 01:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(mathias @ Dec 11 2005, 12:54 AM) View Post

whats scarry is if you download windows meadia center (bootleg) get your xbox 360 all setup then you go on live and they just double check your meadia center and disable it because the key has been used 5000 times....
What do you mean "disable it"? How would they disable my Media Center OS? I've been running Xbox 360 as a media extender with a pirated MCE for almost two weeks now without any problems.

ikecomp

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(babanoosh @ Dec 9 2005, 10:48 AM) View Post

After reading a little further on MCE 2005, I've found out that it does support divx, since anything that can play on WMP 10, should be playable via MCE 05. So I'd actually like to renege what I initially said. That is, why shouldn't divx be natively supported? Since Xbox360 is labeled a "media center extender" it should extend media center. It's not doing so (IMO) by only playing only wmv, mpeg1 and mpeg2 files video files. Saying that divx is used to pirate content as a basis for not supporting it isn't a valid argument. The same could be said about other formats, say mp3 for example. It doesn't change the fact that it's widely used/accepted and has a (legal) place in people's home theatres..
just my .02 cents.

Just a thought.  Since I don't have media center 2005 is it possible to add windows media player to the my programs list and then launch videos from there?

cyberg4

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »

So far I really like the Music streaming, (pictures work fine as well), but the video streaming leaves a lot to be desired (an that would be an understatement) divx, xvid, etc. codecs need to become supported as well as streaming capabilities from an XP machine.  Oh well that's what XBMC is for.

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(cyberg4 @ Dec 14 2005, 01:32 PM) View Post

So far I really like the Music streaming, (pictures work fine as well), but the video streaming leaves a lot to be desired (an that would be an understatement) divx, xvid, etc. codecs need to become supported as well as streaming capabilities from an XP machine.  Oh well that's what XBMC is for.

Yeah, I can't rightfully give it credit for picture and music streaming. Not until they at least provide a physical file/folder view option.

gamefeen

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2005, 10:07:00 PM »

I was just thinking about what that dude said in the higher post about how xvid/divx are the pirates choice for movies. What do you think is the pirates choice for music? Isnt music downloaded in mp3 format, well the majority of it. I highly doubt piracy is the main reason. Im pretty sure the big lot of Xbox owners downloads movies, I doubt M$ would wanna piss us off on purpose. I dont think they have anything to RIAA and the MPAA.

kevlar69

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

Agree totally, piracy can't be the reason, it's not logical to support mp3 then say we are not supporting divx because it is used for piracy. Not supporting divx is not going to stop me downloading divx content, all they are doing is pissing me off because I now have to convert everything, I'm still going to download it anyway!.

Scarpad

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 07:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(kevlar69 @ Dec 15 2005, 07:59 AM) View Post

Agree totally, piracy can't be the reason, it's not logical to support mp3 then say we are not supporting divx because it is used for piracy. Not supporting divx is not going to stop me downloading divx content, all they are doing is pissing me off because I now have to convert everything, I'm still going to download it anyway!.

The Biggest problem in converting Divx or other formats is that if you convert it to Mpeg2 the file is huge if you want to maintain the same quality. I've never liked the Windows Media 9 or WMV format so I don't think I'd even bother with that. At the Very least they could support Mpeg 4 .Mp4 files so I can use the same files I'm converting for my Ipod.

jfoster

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

Not to mention, you lose surround sound sad.gif

I also haven't had any luck playing my DVDS that I have ripped to my MCE05 hard drive.  I mean, MCE can play them, but the 360 does not.

Burning-Ranger

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2005, 10:42:00 AM »

...it is possible to play divx files

all you need is Windows Media Encoder 9 Series

install the program go to your divx-movie folder and make a new text file called "name of the movie.asx"
into this text file you write  "mms://IP-Adress from your PC:8080"

for more information visit http://www.evo-x.de/...did=131310&sid=

fandabidozi

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

give uz a clue then... do i need to put the path to the file in the text file or just the IP of my PC??? and the name of the ASX will tell it what to load??

fandabidozi

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »

Actually forget it this is only how to set ur pc as a stream  and then connect to the stream..

it will play divx but not at divx quality only 128k/s

poo basically...

pap suggestion and takes an hour to get working... per file

sleeping.gif

babanoosh

• Archived User
Divx On 360
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2005, 09:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(fandabidozi @ Dec 17 2005, 06:46 PM) *

Actually forget it this is only how to set ur pc as a stream  and then connect to the stream..

it will play divx but not at divx quality only 128k/s

poo basically...

pap suggestion and takes an hour to get working... per file

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sleeping.gif)

hablo english?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4