xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Backup Success Rate Gone From 100% To 10%  (Read 982 times)

rob1234

• Archived User
Backup Success Rate Gone From 100% To 10%
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

For the last year and a bit 100% of my backups worked using a Sh-d162c and XBC burned with a 111d using verbatim dl and latest clonecd. A few months ago I started getting unplayable discs at an increasing rate leading up to now where I have burned 2 playable discs out of the last 20 burns using discs from 3 different spindles of verbatim 2x and 8x MIS dl media.

I've tried changing firmwares on the 111d and the hitachi 47 in my xbox to the latest (1.29 and 1.4). I tried changing my 111d to a 111l (8.29). I've verified the images of the unplayable burns in imgburn and they were fine.

All of my old successful backups still work 100% of the time. I've had images that have failed 3 times in a row and worked fine the 4th time.

The only things left I can think to try are the pot mod and replacing the 111d. If anyone has any other ideas that would really help me out.

Also, I've recently completely replaced my computer keeping only the Sh-d162c and 111d from the old computer. I can't remember for sure if the failed burns started happening with the new computer but I don't see how it should matter.

rob1234

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

The 111d was faulty.

TyPe-ZeRo

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(rob1234 @ Mar 4 2008, 06:37 PM) *

The 111d was faulty.

Can you please elaborate as to why and how you've come to that conclusion, i'm quite interested!

rob1234

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »

Sure. I did the pot mod. It was originally 3.64 ohms or something and I changed it to 3.15. Still none of the bad discs worked so I went out and bought a new 115d burner. I've since burned 6 discs with the new burner and they've all worked so I've assumed the 111d must have gone bad. It lasted me about 1 year of not very heavy use if you are wondering.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 03:05:00 AM »

Did you check the country of origin on your new discs.  The Made in India ones aren't anywhere near as good.

kRaYzRaY

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:00 AM »

You know, my success rate for burning has declined significantly lately. Seems the newer the game, the more likely it will not play... I've been using the same stack of Verbatim D/L's since the beginning, and my SH-D163B (reader) and my Lite-On SOHW-832S (burner) are pretty much brand new. No variables have change in my equation except the games. For example, I my latest was Frontlines: Fuel of War. It actually got to the logo screen and then gave the 'Unreadable Disc' error. After examining the disc, I noticed a burning pattern on the bottom. It has to be the layout. The 360 dvd drive was working like crazy, switching rapidly back and forth between sectors. Not good. Anyone know of a remedy?

twistednailsofv

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 03:44:00 AM »

consider that the dvd-burners lense is getting old, decaying, broken or faulty...

also... you may wanna see if your system has enough resources to burn the disc properly, like ram isnt being sapped or doing something that causes the HDD to divert between the burning and your other task(s).

consider if your using different type or media, and not just the same company, the companies themselves update their discs type/model or subsidize their work other companies, so you buy a verbatim or memorex one time, the next couple of times, it may be manufactured by other companies, that why sometimes some people get weird results when testing their media out...